• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The government doesn't have to subtract overhead from the gross and end up with a net income like a private individual or business does. Every dollar coming in is net profit. They can spend $10 of your money to put a dollar in their pocket. That dollar is 100% profit to them.

I'm handing out badge rep like candy today. For those of you who deserve it but didn't get it, I'm probably rationed from giving it to you. (I'm talking about you, level.eleven.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I would applaud the end of the "War on Drugs". If the DEA agents need work, send them to the southern border and convert them to Border Patrol Agents. Nobody has to quit working, just change focus. Put that money to good use elsewhere or just put it on the Chinese bill!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I If the DEA agents need work, send them to the southern border and convert them to Border Patrol Agents. Nobody has to quit working, just change focus. Put that money to good use elsewhere or just put it on the Chinese bill!

I think the idea here is to shrink government.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why? Wasn't it Reagan and the Republicans that started this war?
    Wow, quelle surprise! People in the Senate are finally catching on and a democrat at that!

One of the real winners of the War on Drugs are the investors in all those privatized prison. Take a drive across the country to the west coast. You'll see plenty of scary, massive, high security prisons on the way.

Bust people for small amounts of weed > Court / Cops squeeze them for $$ > Prisons get your tax money to keep them> Wall Street prison stock goes up > Economy is good!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    No knock warrants, extreme violence, excessive sentences all for what, billions of dollars wasted! Just cause some ****head wants to toke up, my tax dollars shouldn't be blown on DEA, BATFE, prisons, rehab etc. Just let 'em toke up and fire them for being high at work. survival of the fittest! I eat, they wither. No 99 week free ride on unemployment either. Save the dollars, cut the agencies, and drop my tax burden accordingly! If people want to lite up, let them be supported by their relatives.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No knock warrants, extreme violence, excessive sentences all for what, billions of dollars wasted! Just cause some ****head wants to toke up, my tax dollars shouldn't be blown on DEA, BATFE, prisons, rehab etc. Just let 'em toke up and fire them for being high at work. survival of the fittest! I eat, they wither. No 99 week free ride on unemployment either. Save the dollars, cut the agencies, and drop my tax burden accordingly! If people want to lite up, let them be supported by their relatives.

Exactly! Accept...

Not all people who toke up are ****heads. In fact, most of them have jobs and are very successful. That's part of the War on Drugs propaganda, "if you toke, you must be an idiot and a drain on society."

People who are stupid enough to get high at work and sponge off their relatives would be doing that with or without drugs. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Long story short, stereotypes are dangerous. There's a lot more successful, productive, hard working tokers out there than you think.

If society can still function with alcohol being legal, marijuana will be a breeze.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Some people will tell you that firing up a doobie is more relaxing than getting wasted drunk. Personally, I think they should decriminalize it and tax the hell out of it. People will still pay to smoke it. Hell medical marijuana is going gangbusters in Cali! Why not cash in on another sin tax?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Just hint that it could be decriminalized or maybe even legalized and Monsanto will be developing a superweed they can patent then John Deere will launch a "Bud Head" for their combines.
    Of course, this will mean the end for the small time growers and the family pot farm will become a thing of the past. That is until the renaissance, then we'll start seeing organic Maui Wowie showing up in specialty stores. Next will come micro weederies that first pop up in Berkely and Grenwich selling their local flavor and it will all spread from there, all with WIFI! :D

Im only half joking here. It actually could spur a whole new industry, put people to work, and PROVIDE money to the economy instead of sucking off of it. Just the money spent on printing the Surgeon General's warning on zip lock baggies alone could put a thousand people back on the payroll instead of in the welfare lines.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Some people will tell you that firing up a doobie is more relaxing than getting wasted drunk. Personally, I think they should decriminalize it and tax the hell out of it. People will still pay to smoke it. Hell medical marijuana is going gangbusters in Cali! Why not cash in on another sin tax?

Taxing the hell out of it would defeat the purpose of legalizing it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just hint that it could be decriminalized or maybe even legalized and Monsanto will be developing a superweed they can patent then John Deere will launch a "Bud Head" for their combines.
    Of course, this will mean the end for the small time growers and the family pot farm will become a thing of the past. That is until the renaissance, then we'll start seeing organic Maui Wowie showing up in specialty stores. Next will come micro weederies that first pop up in Berkely and Grenwich selling their local flavor and it will all spread from there, all with WIFI! :D

Im only half joking here. It actually could spur a whole new industry, put people to work, and PROVIDE money to the economy instead of sucking off of it. Just the money spent on printing the Surgeon General's warning on zip lock baggies alone could put a thousand people back on the payroll instead of in the welfare lines.
    On a related note, the CEO of Scotts has started making overtures to the marijuana growers market. He sees it as a growth industry and is positioning his company to take advantage of it.
    Scotts Miracle-Gro Looks to Help People Grow Marijuana - WSJ.com

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Why would taxing it defeat the purpose? We got sin taxes on cigs n booze, why should dope be any different? You want to toke it you gotta pay the tax. You want to grow it, you gotta get a license. You want to sell it, well, now we're really talking some money!

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Why would taxing it defeat the purpose? We got sin taxes on cigs n booze, why should dope be any different? You want to toke it you gotta pay the tax. You want to grow it, you gotta get a license. You want to sell it, well, now we're really talking some money!

Two reasons. One: it doesn't eliminate the black market, criminals will go around the taxes, and responsible people will end up paying them. Two: I have serious issues with legislating morality. That is what the tobacco and alcohol laws are imo. Congress thinks that if it costs too much money then people will quit. All it does is hurt the economy, and responsible, law abiding citizens.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Exactly! Accept...

Not all people who toke up are ****heads. In fact, most of them have jobs and are very successful. That's part of the War on Drugs propaganda, "if you toke, you must be an idiot and a drain on society."

People who are stupid enough to get high at work and sponge off their relatives would be doing that with or without drugs. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Long story short, stereotypes are dangerous. There's a lot more successful, productive, hard working tokers out there than you think.

If society can still function with alcohol being legal, marijuana will be a breeze.

Couldn't agree with this guy any more!

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    First, a little background on me, Im 31 yrs old, 2 kids, divorced, work full time and take 9 credit hours per semester at IU East. Im going for social work, with a certificate in substance abuse counseling. Ok...thats out of the way.
    The war on drugs is a joke. It's more like a war on poor people. Penalties are higher for a tiny amount of meth or crack (which is cheap and easily accessible) than penalties for larger amounts of cocaine(which is costly). Poor people go to jail and stay because they cant afford a good lawyer. Rich folks pay and go....the focus of the war on drugs is punishment. We arrest em, put em in prison for being addicted, and offer practically nothing for recovery.

Some of these punishment dollars need to be put toward education and rehabilitation. Drugs will never go away. They have been here since the beginning of time. But with education we might be able to change SOME of the problem.
    :twocents:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some of these punishment dollars need to be put toward education and rehabilitation. Drugs will never go away. They have been here since the beginning of time. But with education we might be able to change SOME of the problem.

I was with you right up to this point. They've been attempting to educate children on the dangers of drug use/abuse for over 30 years now. Education is not the answer. I do think parental influence on the issue is the primary factor in a person's decision to use or not, but I draw the line at mandating parents teach their children anything.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    First, a little background on me, Im 31 yrs old, 2 kids, divorced, work full time and take 9 credit hours per semester at IU East. Im going for social work, with a certificate in substance abuse counseling. Ok...thats out of the way.
    The war on drugs is a joke. It's more like a war on poor people. Penalties are higher for a tiny amount of meth or crack (which is cheap and easily accessible) than penalties for larger amounts of cocaine(which is costly). Poor people go to jail and stay because they cant afford a good lawyer. Rich folks pay and go....the focus of the war on drugs is punishment. We arrest em, put em in prison for being addicted, and offer practically nothing for recovery.

Ever heard of DARE? Leading by example and teaching kids self responsibility (not as a policy but on an individual basis) will solve a lot more. I would hate to hear some of the views of our government officials on what self responsibility is though. The thought makes me shudder.

Top Bottom