• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Has anyone had any luck with a replacement cell phone battery?

I've had my Samsung S21 for years and the battery life isn't what it used to be. No new phone on the market is really that different, so I can see dropping $800+ on a new phone.

Years ago, I had a battery replaced on a phone and swear the battery life didn't seem to improve.

Has anyone had a different experience with remarkably better battery life after having a cell phone battery replaced?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I had a battery replaced on an Iphone at Batteries Plus in Avon and the battery life improved drastically. Unfortunately, about 6 months later something else went out (can't remember what, just that it was fairly unusable). I believe at that time it was $50 or 60, and for booking an online appointment I got $10 off. But, that was also 6-7 years ago.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This last spring my I-8 battery took a serious dump and I am serious cheap so not in the market for a new phone. There is a one man shop in Clinton Indiana that works on phones and games. He put in a new battery for $50.00 and it has been fine since then. Jim.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have bought kits to do the job myself at home with success. Cheap and fairly easy.

Replaced a battery= longer life for phone

Replaced a shattered screen on Ipad.

Watched videos online and made the fixes. If it doesn’t improve your phone then you are not out much. But A new battery should help you out.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone had any luck with a replacement cell phone battery?

I've had my Samsung S21 for years and the battery life isn't what it used to be. No new phone on the market is really that different, so I can see dropping $800+ on a new phone.

Years ago, I had a battery replaced on a phone and swear the battery life didn't seem to improve.

Has anyone had a different experience with remarkably better battery life after having a cell phone battery replaced?
    Get the Accubattery app and let it go through a few full charge cycles to get an idea of what capacity you have now VS when the battery was new. If you get it changed you can also then compare to the replacement battery.

Another option is to look for a newer model with light usage. You can search ebay for open box and new old stock models from a year or so ago for decent prices. If they don't work out most can be returned free of hassle. Another option is Swappa as they have more granular condition grading.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another note, the single best thing you can do to extend overall battery life is not fully charge it. Check the power settings to see if there as an option related to overall battery life or limiting charge to ~85%. I have this on my Samsung Tab S6 but my Google devices must be rooted with a third party charge control app. The effect is minimal capacity loss over time though. My Pixel 5 (from 2020) has almost as much capacity today as it did when new. I have it charge to 80% unless I'm flying or something where I may indeed need the extra 20% of run time. Even limiting charge to 80% it's usually around 30% when I plug it in at night after ~14 hours. This has kept it in the 80% - 20% sweet spot for battery longevity most of its life. My previous device had significantly degraded the the battery after 3 years. It would simply power off after going below 50% most of the time.

IMO all battery powered devices should have this option so that the user can choose whether they want extend the runtime or lifetime of their device.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    The S21's are receiving security updates until Jan 29, 2026. The S21 FE is Jan 27, 2027. If you are content with the phone a new battery would be fine. Personally, I won't use a phone that is not receiving security updates. It'll likely be $70-$100. An iPhone 15 Pro Max is $99 to replace at Best Buy.

I would strongly recommend going to authorized service centers. Authorized or not, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend backing up your phone by whatever method that fits your needs and doing a COMPLETE factory wipe/reset before handing it off for service. This goes for Android or iOS devices.

Also, Swappa is reputable, as mentioned earlier.

Samsung End-of-Life Support Dates

Samsung Service Locator

I would look also look at trade-in value. At Samsung's website, right now, they are offering $150-200 for that phone depending on your choice. You could get a new A35 5G for $200.

I also do the 80-20 charge, sometimes I can't or I forget, but it does help a lot. My phone is 3 years old and the battery is fine. Slow charging is better than fast charging.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A lot of great responses, thanks guys.

I put AccuBattery on the phone and will let it run for a week. I can't recall if it was this phone or my last (likely my last) that I put a new battery in.

It's the 21 FE and I have a few extra cases for it still (when you find a cheap case you like, buy extras), so once I get this battery figured out it'll last a while longer.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I would look also look at trade-in value. At Samsung's website, right now, they are offering $150-200 for that phone depending on your choice. You could get a new A35 5G for $200.
    They are actually offering $300 on certified pre-owned. It would cost you $150 out of pocket to get a refurbished phone with a brand new battery and a 1 year Samsung warranty.

Here

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've tried that. I spent more time correcting what the phone "thought" I said than I would have just typing it out, even as slowly as I "hunt and peck" on the phone. I'm a touch typist on a keyboard. On a phone, not so much! :):
    Serious point, you must learn how to speak to the phone so that it hears the words. Just enunciating the words casually as you would to a friend does not work, but, overdoing it doesn’t either. There is a Goldilocks zone that is highly efficient…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Serious point, you must learn how to speak to the phone so that it hears the words. Just enunciating the words casually as you would to a friend does not work, but, overdoing it doesn’t either. There is a Goldilocks zone that is highly efficient…
    Yeah, there's nothing so urgent that can't wait until I get home to my laptop. :): Just last night I was typing out a post and DoggyMama looked over at me and said, "Damn you type fast!"

Top Bottom