• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I find that odd. I've been carrying my LX2 for a long time now, everyday. Wearing jeans, that are not that baggy. It's in my pocket at work as well. I'm jumping up and down from forklifts, bending down and over to lift heavy objects.

I know I'm flexing the clip, but haven't had any breakage at all.

(now that I say this, mine will break tomorrow...)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've emailed Surefire about the clip asking if they have any plans for an upgrade. I'll report back when I hear something.

Got a response today.

Surefire said:
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Evan,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently the flashlight is still how it was originally designed. As it is right now there has been no mention of making a revision to the pocket clip.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Matthew Sears[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Technical Support Representive [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]800-828-8809 [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SUREFIRE, LLC[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]17680 Newhope Street, Suite B [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Fountain Valley, CA 92708 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I[/FONT][FONT=&quot] U.S.A.
    [/FONT]
    While that is somewhat disappointing, at least they are now aware of several instances of pocket clip breakage. My second clip has held up so far, but if replacement becomes routine I'll have to find another clip on my own.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Mine has a prototype clip that is more like the old style and is not reversible. It's much shorter than the current production model and I think that reduces the leverage on the bend in the clip and lessens the likelihood of breakage.

I have a new LX2 on backorder from LA Police Gear, so I'll transition from my prototype one to the new one when it arrives.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Count me in as one who had the clip break on my LX2 as well. Called Surefire and had a new one in about a week.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I found a new use for my LX2 today.

I work in a hotel and part of my job involves room inspections. While having a flashlight is excellent for all the normal reasons, it also works well to bust up solid chunks of ice that have formed in a guest room freezer. :yesway:

2s68xn7.jpg

It was, however, a bit cold going back into my pocket. Brrrrr.......

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I found a new use for my LX2 today.

I work in a hotel and part of my job involves room inspections. While having a flashlight is excellent for all the normal reasons, it also works well to bust up solid chunks of ice that have formed in a guest room freezer.

Did the stabby bits on the front end assist in the ice breakery?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm still having trouble getting over the sticker price of the LX2 (I know, I know). So, since I've also carried Streamlight PT-2Ls and PT-1Ls, I thought I'd start with Streamlight and see what they might have to improve on my PTs.

Seems Streamlight has a Nightfighter X model that I'd never noticed before. It's supposed to have a, "momentary only [switch] on the bottom and rotate for full on and off."

Anyone have one of these? Here's how the specs compare:

LX2 - 200/15 lumens, 5.4" L x 1" bezel W x 4.2 oz, 2 x 123 batt
    NFX - 200/15/strobe, 5.4" L x 1.25" bezel W, 0.88" barrel W x 5.2 oz, 2 x 123 batt

It looks slightly fatter and 1 oz heavier than the LX2, but it's only around $67 (vs $147).
    It would be lighter with the grip ring removed. Thoughts? Experiences?

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/op-instructions/TL-NightFighter_op.pdf
    http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/234.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU3Jb-7w71g

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Thoughts on the Streamlight Nightfigher X: from looking at the op instructions it appears that there are several Nightfighter lights in their lineup--and some do not have a twist-for-constant-on function but rather are clickies. Not a problem, just be sure of which one you get.

Frankly, I have never carried much of anything in my pants pockets of a round, 1" diameter so I am not the best qualified to give an opinion. Despite this handicap :D it seems to me that a pocket-carried flashlight would be best with a small bezel rather than a flared one. Just my :twocents:. Is this difference worth $80? :dunno:

However I did notice, again from the op instructions, that the Nightfighter X has a similar UI to the PT series...multiple presses in order to get different modes. The Lx2 has all (two) modes on the same button push. I think the Lx2 UI gets the nod from me, but again this is a preference not a necessity issue.

A quick sidenote about strobe (which I have in my Streamlight PT1L) : I have found it useful on annoying, barking dogs when I run in low-light situations. The neighborhood Bloodhound bays aggressively at me when I go past so I strobed him on one occasion and it got him to be quiet. I do question its utility though in a tactical situation if you have to manipulate the flashlight to get to strobe during a crisis. Flashlights should be like Glocks :p just point and click.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :eek: My E2D Led Defender has both "stabby bits" and "clicky tailcap". But it is good to know that I can still use it to crush ice for my bourbon.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I also have a Benchmade Fecas Snipe with a steel protruberance at the base of the grip. It looks like a good ice pick and it has functioned nicely as an ice pick!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I took a Suarez International Low Light Gunfighting class this past weekend and the LX2 performed flawlessly throughout the weekend.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...low_light_gunfighting_10_19_20_2012_pics.html

As noted in another thread, INGOer cTEKs also brought an LX2 and his pocket clip broke in the middle of class. Go figure.

I'm still VERY happy with this purchase and will continue to recommend it to folks looking for it's unique combination of features.

Top Bottom