• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a Busse SJTAC with the Comp Finish, which came from Busse with a full convex edge. I had it sharpened a while back and it came back to me with a v grind edge. The guy used a belt sander wrong for a convex edge. Anyone around here know someone who can regrind that back into a convex edge? I realize it will likely be a little thinner but I'm okay with that. Just makes it sharper.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A belt sander is primarily what's used to put a convex edge on a knife. It may still be a convex edge just a steeper one than what was initially on there.

It's not. The edge looks like the belt was not slack and had a plate under it to keep it from flexing at all.

You can see a definite line of demarcation between where the convex grind ends and where it becomes a v:

20170527_223936_zpsf4csxfch.jpg

It's more obvious looking at it in person.

Now, all of this said, I still love the knife, carry it regularly, and use it frequently. I just want it convex again.

Edited: ya know, I may just do it myself, manually, with a sanding block. I'll be happy to simply remove that bit of shoulder and get it all polished up. There's something to be said for spending quality time with a favorite knife.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you don't do well, send it to me. I have a slack belt grinder and have a ton of experience convex sharpening.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Edited: ya know, I may just do it myself, manually, with a sanding block. I'll be happy to simply remove that bit of shoulder and get it all polished up. There's something to be said for spending quality time with a favorite knife.

400 grit wet dry sandpaper, I lay mine on my leather strop to give a little flex. It wears fast, but that's okay once you get it all smoothed out you can use the worn out stuff to polish with. I finish mine on leather with green or yellow compound.

If you don't get what you want with that method let me know, I can help you out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another option is a WorkSharp. They are tiny slack belt grinders that produce decent convex edges once you learn how to use them.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another option is a WorkSharp. They are tiny slack belt grinders that produce decent convex edges once you learn how to use them.

I know what they are. I almost bought one at the 1500 a few years back. I told the guy if he could get my Scrapyard Yard Guard screaming sharp I would buy one. He didn't. So I didn't.

This knife is my only convex edge, so I can't really justify the cost for one knife. Everything else I sharpen with stones, by hand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know what they are. I almost bought one at the 1500 a few years back. I told the guy if he could get my Scrapyard Yard Guard screaming sharp I would buy one. He didn't. So I didn't.

This knife is my only convex edge, so I can't really justify the cost for one knife. Everything else I sharpen with stones, by hand.

Good point! On the other hand, if you have axes and hatchets, they should have conxex edges. Might be worth it then.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom