• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    has anyone here ever rented a moving truck like U-haul or the like? I see em all over the place saying you can rent them for a day for $20....yeah Im sure its only $20 a day for the truck plus $1 a mile plus a bunch of other BS charges? can anyone recommend a good rental truck place in the Evansville area that wont cost an arm and a leg? we are going to be moving about an hour away from here and we have so much stuff it would cost us alot of money just in gas to make all the trips to move our crap....I figure if I could get a 14-16' truck I could do it in 2 trips.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    U-haul sucks ass! I rented a 24 foot truck when we moved from Ohio to Indiana. The things transmission went out 10 miles into the trip. They don't maintain their trucks. Penkse then Ryder are the best two of them. A little more expensive, but they put the money into maintainance because they run like champs.

This was on Memorial day weekend 10 years ago. Try contacting U-haul to send a mechanic then a tow truck then get the damn thing reloaded onto another truck on a holiday weekend... that was a long long long day.

Slim7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I've had bad U-haul experiences too. Used Penske with great success (Florida to Indiana). Also, for local stuff I've used Two Guys and a truck. Not too much more expensive and they move stuff for you and you don't have to sweat the truck. Don't know if they are in Evansville.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Horrible experiences here too with U-haul. Rented one once for a move from Lebanon to Martinsville. The clapped out POS they gave me had a speed limiter set to 65, but the spedometer was off - I was indicating 65 mph, but the car traveling with me was only indicating 55. I could have dealt with that, but apparently the fault affected the odometer as well and they charged me over $100 in excess milage that I didn't use.

Rented another U-haul truck and a car carrier when I moved from Martinsville to Rensselaer. The rental location I was supposed to pick up at had the truck but no car carrier, so I had to drive to Indy to pick it up. I was supposed to get a milage credit for the extra driving, but the drop-off location never got that message. I threw a huge fit and got out of that one, but I'll never go back to U-haul.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I moved to Indiana from Michigan, I used Budget rental and had a 15ft box truck. All was ok minus no cruse control. I think we went with them due to drop off location in the new town and price.

When I moved from Kokomo to Indy I had U-Haul. No issues with them.

I can't remember what the price was, but it want much.

If you do use movers, make sure they have the proper insurance, or that your rental/home owners insurace covers your stuff intransit. Also they should be bonded.

Even if you do move your stuff, make sure your home owners or rental insurance covers it. I thimk mide did, but once I got to the new location it was void.

-James

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    One thing you have to remember is U-Haul companies are a franchise business. For every POS with shoddy equipment, there is one that runs a good business. You just have to shop around your area to find the reputable outfit.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Go Penske!

When I moved from Atlanta, GA to Indianapolis I rented a 12 foot Penske. If you rent a UHaul you are going to get a truck from 1982 that's manual, has no A/C and has 250,000 miles on it.

Penske trucks are no more than 2-3 years old, clean, good shape, A/C, automatic.

I also had one of the windshield wipers fly off during a thunderstorm before I got out of Atlanta and I wasn't charged for it.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    uhaul is garbage, they dont take care of their trucks, even if you are going across town i would be weary...

go up to penske and talk to britney, or call ryder....penske has a little newer/nicer trucks but both places maintain their stuff alot better

edit: they also have up to 26' trucks, you might be able to make it in one trip, save on fuel...just make sure you keep the gvw under 26,000 because of the CDL limit and the big trucks weigh around 14-15,000, and if you want a liftgate see if you can get one of the aluminum ones, they are nicer

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Ryder, Penske or Budget whichever has a 24 footer with a hydraulic liftgate . Trust me no Ramps if u want kids helping.
    Your stuff and your backs can thank me later. Try to see if you have relatives or friends that get corporate rates. It will run you about $100+ but if you load all your mattresses in the nose and pack everything high and tight filling the voids with odd sized stuff and with bedding and moving blankets you can usually get everything safely in one trip with your electronics and breakables riding shotgun in the cars. Run a clothes line or rope across the ass end and you can hang your closet stuff without packing them. Just button top buttons and pavk the loose fall on the ground stuff or it will end up all over. Rent or borrow a real appliance dolly with straps for the appliances and boxes. Again thank me later.lol
    Can you tell I've done this a million times between friends and families? Doin two trips wears you out and eats time up. Get the biggest truck u can handle and make sure it will fit in the drive. Last move I did I was able to back the lift gate right to the deck and sliding door. Man was that incredible no ups and downs. If I hadn't had the lift gate my back would have never survived back then. Last move I paid movers @ $500 to go 25miles and it was worth 2x that with everything we had and my back being gone totally.
    Goodluck just keep the fingers n toes outta the lift.lol

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I rented from Penske last time I moved. It was a 24 or 26 with a lift gate. Highly recommended - the truck ran wonderfully, and the lift gate is very helpful. Make sure not to bang anything up - I got a dent in it and got a decent charge added to my bill for that, but I suppose that's not entirely unexpected, I should have been more careful, and that's part of how they keep the trucks in good shape :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    DO NOT GO TO UHAUL.
    I didn't read the replies...so this might have been stated.

Go to Budget or anywhere besides Uhaul. We rented a Budget truck for the day for around $60 for the whole day. Not too shabby!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    my daughter just rented from uhaul.. not sure on prices but they weren't bad for what she needed. She did not have a manual transmission, as someone here said all uhauls are, she had no issues with her truck or returns or pickup.
    One thing I do suggest though is make sure your auto insurance covers you in the uhaul.. hers only covered if she had the pick up truck, she rented a 14' so she needed the coverage uhaul supplies. Yes I got that direct from her insurance, not uhaul.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Even if the largest size will cost over $100, it would be worth the time saved on extra trips and extra time trying to get every square inch used in a smaller truck. I've had the good fortune to never having moved my own stuff so far. Military took care of that. We plan to build in the near future. I told my wife that we will get the largest truck we can find and we'll only be going 10 miles. It will save hours not having to make several trips in a pickup truck.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Looks like we covered it but I must add NOT UHAUL, NOT EVER, NO WAY. I'd rather stick toothpicks in my eyes! :)

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I guess you found a new place. Hope you found what you wanted!!
    I rented U Haul one time. It was a 1944 jank POS with a manual trans. and no power steering. I would try renting a horse and buggy before U haul.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    thanks folks.
    will look in penske or budget to rent a truck from. I figure we will just use a rent truck for appliances and large furniture and my wife can use my SUV for the more sensitive things like electronics and what not. hopefully we can do it all in one trip. Ive got a buddy who has offered to help and he has a van so that will be nice. I have never had to move any of my stuff as this is our first home and we have acquired everything while weve lived here..when we first moved in here we had nothing :):
    Im excited about moving into a new place closer to family plus a better school district for my daughter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Relic,

I don't know your circumstances, but if you are able, rent a truck from Enterprise. The last time I knew, they only rented to businesses, but if you own your own business or are high enough up in the company to make it work, it's the way to go. A couple jobs ago (~6 years) we rented a lot of trucks from Enterprise in a variety of sizes, and we were always satisfied. They were new trucks in really good condition. I think we had a problem once with a truck that they had dropped off but wasn't yet loaded, and they switched it out with a new truck in 30 minutes.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Uhaul is horrible. Service sucks, and I do not trust the safety of their vehicles. Penske is much better, and their vehicle are quite nice. That's where my money goes when I need to rent a truck.

Top Bottom