• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    Hickman, thanks for another great post. I was not aware any work to the magazine tube required gunsmithing to add the extension tubes. I wonder if Mossy's require similar adjustments for their extension tubes. I only own Remi's so I will have to inquire of my fellow gun owners on that one.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very good post. When they switched to that model I had a few that got out of the shop with extensions before they were fixed by me. You can also use a fixed round pipe and a rubber mallet and pound them flat using up and down pounding not putting stress on the receiver.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Brownells also sells (or sold) a tool for specifically for the purpose of removing the Remington mag tube detents. If I recall it was a bit $$. Drilling is much cheaper.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i own quite a few 870's and have mounted a tube extension on a couple.ive always just sanded down the dimples with a dremol tool instead of drilling just because i didnt want there to be the 2 holes on there.anyway just my 2 cents.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    i own quite a few 870's and have mounted a tube extension on a couple.ive always just sanded down the dimples with a dremol tool instead of drilling just because i didnt want there to be the 2 holes on there.anyway just my 2 cents.

this doesn't sound like that bad of a idea.gonna have to try it on my next 870.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

yeah, I'm thinking about that too.

I'll probably mess with doing mine tomorrow night.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Very good post. When they switched to that model I had a few that got out of the shop with extensions before they were fixed by me. You can also use a fixed round pipe and a rubber mallet and pound them flat using up and down pounding not putting stress on the receiver.

I've tried the pipe and hammer method and I would stay away from it. When I tried to hammer the pipe in it seemed that the whole mag tube was trying to expand, not just the dimples. Drilling is much simpler and you also won't get the drill stuck in the mag tube like a pipe. ;)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The previous owner of my shotgun attempted to drill the dimples out.

And didn't do a very good job.

I suspect that the only reason that this perfectly good 870 was traded at 21st Century was due to feeding problems with their +2 extension that they put on it.

A little filing on my part to clean up the inside of the tube and a little filing on the follower (taking the diameter of the follower down ever-so-slightly is easier than removing metal from the mag tube!) and all is well.

Works like a champ!

-J-

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've tried the pipe and hammer method and I would stay away from it. When I tried to hammer the pipe in it seemed that the whole mag tube was trying to expand, not just the dimples. Drilling is much simpler and you also won't get the drill stuck in the mag tube like a pipe. ;)

Makes sense, I used one that was smaller then the mag tube but I can see where if you di dnot line it up it would not work right.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    lots of good solutions to a problem that shouldn't really even be there.

Why did they even put those in there?

they gotta be there or else when you take your magazine cap off the spring will come flying out and stick you in the eye.ive seen this happen numerous times.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    they gotta be there or else when you take your magazine cap off the spring will come flying out and stick you in the eye.ive seen this happen numerous times.
    Non issue. They do not exist on older wingmasters. I am not even sure if they are on newer wingmasters? There are ways to do things right and after 40 years I have yet to take one in the eye from a mag spring. This feature was only added to civillian guns to prevent easy addition of mag extensions. Not found on Police. The plastic mag spring cap was in turn designed to work with the dimples and this replaced a metal part found on Wingmasters which retains the mag spring. Express = lower cost

Once you add the mag you should also not be using the POS follower that comes with the gun. When you unscrew the mag extentsion for mtc/cleaning etc.....the spring will be in the extension, just slowly pull the extension away from gun until spring is no longer under tension. This is actually very safe.

For FYI purposes use a 11/16th" deep socket to tap down dimples, I do this then also dremel after doing so. You won't knock the mag out of round and dremel gives nice touch to the end result.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I don't need to do this to a wingmaster do i? This is only for the express 870's?
    Correct BUT............. I have not taken apart a newer Wingmaster so I am not sure if they do it on them now? My guess is the dimples are on all 870's these days not designated Police. I am going to look next time I am in a gun shop with some Wingmasters.

All my Wingmasters are older and 2 3/4" only.

Just take your mag cap off and look. Do you see two dimples near the end of the magazine tube?

Top Bottom