• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    LongBow, whenever you want to organize a protest, leaflet handout, OC event (well as soon as I get my LTCH in the mail!) say the word and I am there!

This type of bull**** in b-ton has got to stop!
    Back when Jim Sherman got his trash stickers approved by the city council, I knew my days in Bloomington were numbered!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I think that Earl Singleton, a professor at IU Law, used to do some lawsuits on behalf of tenants who had their rights violated. He would make them a class project.

Earl's clinic can only handle family law issues for poverty clients by agreement with Student Legal Services. He'd have to do it as a private client matter. If it's a student that this happened to, try SLS. Plus Earl would talk your ear off about how great his high power scores were this past weekend, blah, blah blah, blah...

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I may catch hell for this but I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of people on this thread. I generally think the government should stay out of people's business as much as possible so I side with the private property owner and say that they should be allowed to decide whether or nor firearms are allowed on their property, unless specifically bound by a contract to allow firearms.

It may be stupid and without reason that a private property owner bans firearms. But private property is private property and people should be able to decide what is and is not allowed on their own land without government interference. Unless there's a contract or some other agreement in place.

Please feel free to disagree but let's keep it civil.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I may catch hell for this but I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of people on this thread. I generally think the government should stay out of people's business as much as possible so I side with the private property owner and say that they should be allowed to decide whether or nor firearms are allowed on their property, unless specifically bound by a contract to allow firearms.

It may be stupid and without reason that a private property owner bans firearms. But private property is private property and people should be able to decide what is and is not allowed on their own land without government interference. Unless there's a contract or some other agreement in place.

Please feel free to disagree but let's keep it civil.

Thats fine side with the private property owner that is double talking and has a very gray area contract at best. That being said firearms were NEVER illicitly banned on this property just misbehavior or mishandling of said weapons, so I don't see your point.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The firearms are secondary, I believe. This is more about the right to privacy in your own home (rented or not). They should never have even found the "scary black gun" during their "maintenance" inspection, and their own policy does not forbid owning guns.

But yes, you and the property owner can agree to about whatever terms you want. Both of you need to stick to the terms, though.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Except that's not how leases work, you give away all rights in the property except an ability to sell and those rights you reserve to yourself in the lease. The lessee has a property right to quiet enjoyment of the property he contracted for and shouldn't be oppressed by the lessor springing extra-contractual issues that are not provided in the lease.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Except that not how leases work, you give away all rights in the property except an ability to sell and those rights you reserve to yourself in the lease. The lessee has a property right to quiet enjoyment of the property he contracted for and shouldn't be oppressed by the lessor springing extra-contractual issues that are not provided in the lease.

here here, what on earth are you thinking! us wee peons having rights, I never!

:rolleyes:

:+1: very well said!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    To the poster about private property.....

The contract does not ban weapons, just doing stupid things with weapons........... The family member had them in his locked room. No one else had access till they did a quick room inspection that turned into opening stuff and looking drawers.

When this event is done, more than a few parents/residents will know the inspections included going through drawers of men or women.

I read contracts as part of my job, this one does NOT ban guns. The agents of the owners are banning said guns because of the fear of another school shooting........Very insulting to my family member.

Last edited:

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just one more reason why Purdue is much better than IU!

I wasn't supposed to have firearms in my fraternity house at Purdue....

We had a raccoon that broke into the house one day and was not willing to leave. Since I just so happened to have my bow in my room, no guns of course, I removed the raccoon with it.

Luckily for me, nobody was threatened by my bow. They were however threatened by the raccoon. The blood was all over his room….. Luckily nobody or dogs got sick.

I would post a pic but I don't want to distract from the original thread too much.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Just one more reason why Purdue is much better than IU!

I wasn't supposed to have firearms in my fraternity house at Purdue....

We had a raccoon that broke into the house one day and was not willing to leave. Since I just so happened to have my bow in my room, no guns of course, I removed the raccoon with it.

Luckily for me, nobody was threatened by my bow. They were however threatened by the raccoon. The blood was all over his room….. Luckily nobody or dogs got sick.

I would post a pic but I don't want to distract from the original thread too much.
    post a new thread with pictures... we had a guy take a goose with his bow on campus during goose season, not really sure they were too fond of that.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It appears they have removed the manager at the site already. I called and they no longer have one and all calls need to go to the corporate office.

Wonder what happened?

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    It appears they have removed the manager at the site already. I called and they no longer have one and all calls need to go to the corporate office.

Wonder what happened?

I'd say the previous manager created an issue that negatively impacted the company in a public manner while attempting to back up employees who operated outside of the guidelines of corporate guidance and the legal document by which they are bound.

Not to mention that the manager was directly responsible for the situation that has already caused the loss of revenue of one tenant and who knows how many more in the future?

Sounds to me like the right thing happened :yesway:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

Wonder what happened?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

Wonder what happened?

Wow, a corporate entity that actually pays attention to their clients.... didn't think that happened around here anymore! Great results Longbow!

Top Bottom