• R700 or Savage?

• Total voters

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I have a Savage tac 10 , 20 inch barrel . I love the accu trigger . Lot of people complain about the stock , guess I am not that picky , I like the stock . It,s lighter then a lot of the longer barreled rifles , so you will feel the recoil more . If you add a good muzzle break , it has the recoil of a AR.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a Remington fan, but either will serve you well. For me though, the Savage just feels / looks cheap compared to a 700 and I like the unlimited aftermarket support for the 700. Although both have a lot of options, your also much more likely to run across a deal on a quality used aftermarket stock for the 700 too. But honestly, either are probably going to out shoot the operator right out of the box. Rather than fret over the rifle, I would personally be more concerned on the optics.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ya ever notice that the savage owners always seem to be the ones to say "that if they had a little bit more $$$ they would have gotten the R700"? OP, read your own orginal post...you said what you wanted and subconsciously chosen already!

I own the R700 AAC-SD .308

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have both and like them both. The savage I have is a tack driver. It is the model 11 and I had to adjust the stock when I first got it to get it to shoot accurately.

I have a Remington model 7 that I had re-barreled and chambered for the 358 Hoosier. It is a tack driver now. At 100 yards it will make a ragged hole five shot group. From the factory it came in 308 and was a pain to shot and wasn't very accurate. I think that a lot of its accuracy came from the skills of the smith that re-barreled the rifle. I didn't provide him with a top quality barrel Like Shilen or Heart. I sent him a Shaw and he sent me back a very accurate rifle.

I also have a Remington 700 that is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot from the factory. Over the years I have put around 500 rounds through it and it is still shooting small groups. I would think that the 308 barrel should last for at least 4000 rounds before the accuracy drops off. I had plans to re-barrel it but I don't see doing that till the barrel is shot out.

I know that a lot of people are questioning Remingtons Q.C. because of a few bad rifles getting out to people. I look at that as every CO. has some stuff get through that they don't want to. I also know that the quality that you got one time out of Remington isn't there in the cheaper rifles. Hay they have to compete with all the other CO. that are doing the same thing. I have also heard of Savages going back to be repaired as well as Remingtons.

Savage and Remington both make rifles that will do what you want and in your price range you have posted. I would go with the Savage because of the ability to easily change barrels. Shooting at a grand and using max loads in the 308 will use up a barrel faster than if you were just hunting with it. In short you will need more accuracy than shooting out to say 400 yards. Plus you will be shooting more to learn and practice at a grand than 400 yards. Good luck with what ever choose.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I voted for the 700 because I own one. It is a great rifle, the savage seems to be loved by there owners as well. If I was to do it over again I would have went with a custom action and barrel.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I own Savages and Remingtons. I choose Remingtons because of smoother actions and much prettier rifles.. I can't tell a nickel's worth of difference in accuracy between them. Looks and feel alone. NO problems out of either. My Remingtons are at least 8 yrs old though.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i like my cz 550 varmint i dont have pics of due to a broken camera, it uses a mauser style action but a savage would be much be better if your going to swap the barrel.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thinking about it this morning I'll have to renew my faith in the Remington. After all, the US Army and USMC build their sniper rifles on this receiver. There must be something to it when the worlds best shooters PICK what they go to combat with. Ya think?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What did you break, how, and how many?

Bolt head retaining pins: 2 or 3
    Extractors, including assembly parts: 6ish
    Ejectors, including assembly parts: 2

Can't recall the sample size but I'm a fast learner.

The how's are generally related to weather intrusion into the bolt assembly. With a taped barrel the firing/cycling mechanisms on 700s; M77s; 84s; even 70s are well proven to reliably function after exposure of the worst sort. Savages, not so. But they aren't alone.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bolt head retaining pins: 2 or 3
    Extractors, including assembly parts: 6ish
    Ejectors, including assembly parts: 2

Can't recall the sample size but I'm a fast learner.

The how's are generally related to weather intrusion into the bolt assembly. With a taped barrel the firing/cycling mechanisms on 700s; M77s; 84s; even 70s are well proven to reliably function after exposure of the worst sort. Savages, not so. But they aren't alone.

My savage is a target rifle so I have never seen those issues, but I appreciate the info. To me you have different guns for different purpose's. This is the first I've heard of issues with the savage for any purpose, but I dont follow them as much as some folks do. My hunting rifles are all 700's (by chance not design)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Never owned a Savage although I have shot a few, I did own a Remington 700. Didn't care for it much really, although my love for bolt action high powered rifles isn't much.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I cannot comment on the accuracy of a Savage out of the box, as I have never owned one. When I was in the market for such a rifle, Savage was on the short list of options that I was looking for.

I ended up with the Remington SPS Varmint in .308. After a little stock work to free float the barrel, and mounting a decent scope (the ones that come in the package deals are not fit for a .22) the rifle will print 1/2 MOA groups without much effort at all.

If you plan on putting thousands of rounds through it a year, Savage would be easier to change barrels out, and probably serve you longer without a trip to the gunsmith. If you are more of an "average" shooter, or a hobbyist target shooter that wants to occasionally stretch the yardage out once or twice a year the Remington will serve a long time without issue.

Honestly, either will most likely do what you are asking without much issue. The choice is more likely going to hinge on what you are most interested in, and what you find available when you make the decision.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have never owned a Savage because I could never get warmed up to the (IMO) cheesy action/bolt/trigger. I have a PD owned .308 Md. 10 sitting right here on my bench right now I just do not like it. This was purchased as a LE gun from some police supply outfit. It has the cheapest feeling and looking stock on it that I have ever seen. My opinion was further reinforced last April or May at a ILEA Observer Sniper class I attended when I saw at least one and I think two Savages getting bolt head pins replaced. Phylodog can say for sure but I am fairly certain it was two of them than went down. Anyway even 1 out of 20 or 15 guns is to many for my liking.

FWIW I do think Savage hs been making some major improvments as of late.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Follow-up to OP:
    Have you decided yet?

Not quite, I'm still weighing all of the different options. I like the ease of barrel exchange for the Savage but I also like the ruggedness and overall track record of the 700. It's a hard decision, perhaps I'll just go with bacon. I see the merits of each platform and I have a potential deal on the table for a Savage that is very tempting but I still haven't made up my mind yet. I've been talking with a buddy of mine and we are wanting to shoot F class so that is part of the decision as well. So many variables, so little time (and money)! :spend:

Top Bottom