Remington 700 SPS Tactical .223 or .308?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have been looking at this rifle most of 2010 and ever since I read LotsOfGlocks thread about picking one up, now I too have the itch to get one.

My problem is that I am torn between the .223 or the .308.

I absolutely hate to add yet another caliber to my ammo collection. I already have too many as it is.

The .223 could share with my AR.

The .308 would be on its on in the 700.

Let's hear which one you would buy, and why.

btw, I found this:

The majority of law enforcement precision tactical marksmen use .308 caliber rifles, but at the ranges typical of LE SWAT engagements, a .308 is almost overkill considering that the marksman is typically striving for a head shot at a distance that generally doesn’t exceed 100 yards. In fact, FBI statistics show that the average SWAT marksman engagement takes place at 51 yards. Thus, a .223 caliber rifle should be more than adequate given the average engagement ranges.

The argument can be made that the .223 isn’t as effective at longer ranges, but with the right ammunition, a rifleman with a .223 can accurately engage targets at surprisingly long distances using ammo like the military’s Mark 262. The latest version of this very accurate ammunition is the Mark 262 Mod1, the difference being that the latest version has a cannelure, while the original does not.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I looked into this a couple of years ago. The rifle is now gone. I chose the .308 because I think it was a 10 inch twist (maybe 12?) In any event, suitable for 110 to at least 190 grain bullets. It was a 1/2 minute rifle out of the box with 175 SMK's at 300 yards.

The .223 version had a slow twist barrel (9 inch?) which would limit it to 69's or maybe 75's. I want the option of shooting 80 grain bullets. It would not do that.

Re: your example...Certainly you are not contemplating engaging human targets with your rifle???? Of course, I don't know you or know if you are a Police or Military marksman.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    No killing of any kind expected, just target shooting. Really nothing more than 100-200 yards either.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    we can meet up and you can shoot mine in .308
    Sounds good.

Well does price of ammo mean anything to you? Obviously you understand the range, size, and recoil difference.
    I looked it up, and it's not a HUGE difference, however, as I stated in my OP, I'm not sure I wan't another caliber to have to stock. I'm thinking .223 can suffice and I can share it with my AR.

I was hoping for a .223/.308 war, but I'm not getting it.

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I chose the .223 because of price difference between the two and when I get an AR it will share the same ammo. No plans to hunt with it Im only target shooting. Glad I could rub off on ya 360!!!!

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    184   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    WARNING!!!

Shooting Tyler34's 700 will result in a case of severe jealousy. It does not have any measurable trigger pull. It is more like a button that you press when ready to fire. He had it at the SKS shoot and it was nice. I've been thinking about getting some trigger work done to my 700 since I shot his.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Both!

If .308 is a new caliber for you, I'd stick with .223 unless you plan on pushing out past 400 yards on a regular basis.

It's cheaper to shoot and can share ammo with your existing guns. If you reload (and if you don't, why not???) then you can shoot the brass in the semi-auto a few times, then shoot it a bunch of times (40-50 more) in the bolt action.

I have the 700 SPS in both calibers and my .223 is hands down much more fun to shoot (and I *like* heavy hitting calibers).

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If I was you, the .223 would be coming home with me.
    But I'm not and I've got the .308. Bout as happy as a pig in s*&t with it:D

bergx7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    For your use .223 makes more sense although at those ranges I would just throw a scope on my AR

Top Bottom