• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    I have a Remington 597 I purchased some years ago and I have had nothing but problems with it since day one. It has never held anything resembling a tight grouping. I'm talking silver dollar sized groups at 25 yards. In contrast, my abilities and a Ruger 10/22 can easily do better than dime size at the same range. I'm on bags, looking down the scope at dead center of the target and see the bullet strike over an inch off. And the misses are very inconsistent, all over the clock.

I have tried all kinds of different ammunition (federal, remington, CCI, etc) with no change.

I sent the rifle in to Remington in 2009 and they sent it back with some BS about polishing something. After testing and becoming frustrated with them I put the rifle in the safe and left it until recently.

A friend suggested that I float the barrel. So I carefully sanded the synthetic stock with an emorycloth wrapped socket until it does not touch the barrel anywhere. Still no relief.

I took the scope off thinking maybe that was it but my eyesight won' let me use irons at that distance consistently. Can a scope cause this sort of problem?

Anyhow, Im looking to the experts here for guidance. I do not want to sell this POS to anyone currently living and don't just want to throw it away. I really like the look and feel of the rifle and have heard people brag about how well they shoot though obviously this is not my experience.

Thoughts?

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Well for starters I would most definitely try another scope. The ones that come stock on the 597 are pretty crappy. Not horrrrrrrible, but not good by any means. Mine wouldn't hold zero after about a year, and thats saying something about a product if it cant take .22LR recoil.
    You can pick up a scope from walmart for $40-$50 that might solve your issue.

If thats not it, then most likely you have a faulty barrel and the rifling is no good, but seeing as you sent it back to remington and they didn't say anything about that... I'm guessing its fine.

If a rifle isnt holding groups, then pick from the weakest links first..... def put another scope on there... borrow one from a friend if need be.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Its all about the guide rods for reliability. I had a first generation that I couldn't get rid of fast enough, but I've given it a second chance by getting a new production one. It's been amazing for several thousand rounds. So they have either improved them or they are hit and miss.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Another thing... you said you sent it back to remington and they said it was basically fine.... well a scope isn't part of a rifle. Its an accessory. I highly doubt the even took a look at the optic. They probably figured you have already looked into that (no offense).

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My 597 Has Been Very Accurate And Trouble Free, Save For The Volquartsen Extractor Is Put In 2 Years Ago. I Would Say You Either Need New Optics Or You Got Yourself A Lemon Of A Gun

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Well for starters I would most definitely try another scope. The ones that come stock on the 597 are pretty crappy. Not horrrrrrrible, but not good by any means. Mine wouldn't hold zero after about a year, and thats saying something about a product if it cant take .22LR recoil.
    You can pick up a scope from walmart for $40-$50 that might solve your issue.

If thats not it, then most likely you have a faulty barrel and the rifling is no good, but seeing as you sent it back to remington and they didn't say anything about that... I'm guessing its fine.

If a rifle isnt holding groups, then pick from the weakest links first..... def put another scope on there... borrow one from a friend if need be.

Thanks! I have another scope I can try (the one on my 10/22).

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Another thing... you said you sent it back to remington and they said it was basically fine.... well a scope isn't part of a rifle. Its an accessory. I highly doubt the even took a look at the optic. They probably figured you have already looked into that (no offense).

I did not send the scope in with it.

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    Absolutely the scope can be the problem. That is what I would've suspected first.

Also, put a light in the barrel and look for leading.

I will do both! However, I have to say that it has had less than 500 rounds through it and I wouldn't expect leading with that few rounds of new ammunition. I am also very anal about keeping my firearms clean. They get a cleaning after every outing.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I had a 597. And a couple of Nylon 66's. I couldn't make any of them shoot. I sold them and got a 10-22. Happiness everafterward.

Scoped or iron sighted, the damn things won't shoot no matter what ammo I tried.

My Remington Number 5 is a great shooter. But it is a bolt action and Czech or Bosnian or Rumanian or something. It really isn't a Remington.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I bet your scope was previously used on your 10/22 before being mounted on your 597. 10/22's are scope killers and your scope has a busted reticle. Put it on your 10/22 and you will have the same problem chasing your zero around.

if not, your scope was broken from day one.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I bet your scope was previously used on your 10/22 before being mounted on your 597. 10/22's are scope killers and your scope has a busted reticle. Put it on your 10/22 and you will have the same problem chasing your zero around.

if not, your scope was broken from day one.

10/22 a scope killer?......

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I bought a 597 AAC SD just because it was threaded and I could put my can on it. I've had the same issues. I read a lot of other forums about the 597 and the general opinion seems to be to replace the hammer with the volquartsen(sp). The trigger on the 597 absolutely sucks. The aftermarket hammer is supposed to make it a respectable .22. The hammer is around $40 bucks, and I'm ordering one SOON.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    10-22 a scope killer? Seriously? I have had everything from El-cheap to El-primo on my 10-22's and have never broke a scope.

Top Bottom