• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The only revolver I ever carry is a S&W 442 (5-shot, 2" bbl, J-frame). I have my choice of 5-, 6-, and 8-round speed strips. I carry the 442 in right front pocket, and the 5-round speed strips in right back pocket, or the other way around, depending on how I am dressed. I have considered carrying the 8-round strips instead of the 5-rounders. More is better, right? Maybe not. With the 5-rounders, I just drop the strip after re-loading. When I use the 8-round strip, it seems just wrong to drop 3 live rounds in a strip onto the ground. It also seems a bit wrong to waste time putting a strip back in my pocket, when I should be closing the cylinder and continuing the engagement. For those of you who carry revolvers, how to you drill with your reloading? Strips? How many rounds? How many strips? Reloaders? Just looking for opinions and advice.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    When I carry a revolver, it's typically either as a backup or in a situation where I'm not likely to need or have time for a reload (woods/bear defense). I carry a speed strip to reload from because it's flat and convenient to carry, and I want to be able to top of the gun if I do have to use it, but I'm under no impression that I'll ever be able to reload a wheelgun as fast as I can a bottom-feeder, especially under duress. If capacity or reload speed is likely to be a factor, I carry a semi-auto.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I just got back from the East Coast Revolver roundup. Chuck Haggard had an excellent class on Carry methods which covered reloads for snubs

A very popular method is to run an 7 round speed strip but run 2 rounds empty space 2 rounds empty then a single round

This allows you to load 2 at a time with room for a finger and or to maneuver the strip. It also comes in handy to load just 2 rounds in an emergency because of lessons learned from that thing called Newhall! Had that CHP closed a partial loaded cylinder instead of thinking “I have to get all 6” he’d probably lived through it.

So that was the other reason of 2 empty slot and 2 etc

In all probability (as it’s never been documented) your not gonna get a successful reload but like everyone I carry extra ammo with my revolver but have a Galco pouch with 2x2x2 set up and speed strips as well.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    When I carry a revolver, it's typically either as a backup or in a situation where I'm not likely to need or have time for a reload (woods/bear defense). I carry a speed strip to reload from because it's flat and convenient to carry, and I want to be able to top of the gun if I do have to use it, but I'm under no impression that I'll ever be able to reload a wheelgun as fast as I can a bottom-feeder, especially under duress. If capacity or reload speed is likely to be a factor, I carry a semi-auto.
    My assumption here is that you carry a semi-auto so that you don't NEED to reload as soon, which is down to capacity. 10, 12, or 15+1 is a better starting place than 5 or 6+1. Alas, my only hi-cap handguns are: G21 and Browning Buckmark (10x .22LR). I won't be carrying either of those. My two primary carry guns a (no laughing, please) a Kahr CM9 (6+1, spare) and a Keltec P32 (6+1, spare), so I have no hi-cap options. I prefer DAO triggers, and no manual safety. Simplicity counts. I will also never engage an individual who gives me a chance not to. If Kahr ever actually produces and X9, I will buy one. All that to say, I am nearly as well armed with a J-frame as with either of my bottom-feeder carry options.

Both replies so far, advocate for strips vs. loaders. I concur. I can see already that I don't need 8 rounds in my 8-round strips, for good reasons. And that I need to incorporate partial reloads (top-off) into my practice. Two I can actually shoot is way better than getting shot trying to get all 5 in. Never considered that.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    My assumption here is that you carry a semi-auto so that you don't NEED to reload as soon, which is down to capacity. 10, 12, or 15+1 is a better starting place than 5 or 6+1. Alas, my only hi-cap handguns are: G21 and Browning Buckmark (10x .22LR). I won't be carrying either of those. My two primary carry guns a (no laughing, please) a Kahr CM9 (6+1, spare) and a Keltec P32 (6+1, spare), so I have no hi-cap options. I prefer DAO triggers, and no manual safety. Simplicity counts. I will also never engage an individual who gives me a chance not to. If Kahr ever actually produces and X9, I will buy one. All that to say, I am nearly as well armed with a J-frame as with either of my bottom-feeder carry options.

Both replies so far, advocate for strips vs. loaders. I concur. I can see already that I don't need 8 rounds in my 8-round strips, for good reasons. And that I need to incorporate partial reloads (top-off) into my practice. Two I can actually shoot is way better than getting shot trying to get all 5 in. Never considered that.

Perfect example of your mission drives your gear as Pat Rogers use to say!

People get too wrapped up with capacity. While capacity is never a bad thing sometimes in a non LE function or less permissible environment your not outgunned with a 5 shot in a pocket carry format. Myself I would never carry a striker in a Pocket. A DAO J Frame you can and get by with things without injury.
    That said I’m not suggesting violating the 4 rules but things go south I. A list firearm incident where you have to stow it in your waist band quickly maybe without the luxury of a holster. Something Strikers won’t forgive you for!

Jerry uses loaders... ;)

I have a 625 and moon clip guns are great in full size formats. Carrying one in anything smaller like the 9mm pocket snubs not so much. While having the same ammo as one’s auto is a convenance there is no ability to load or unload just 1 or 2 rounds and while some might have an impression all 6 quick is a good thing small moonclips do t quite work out like Jerry M technique does

So snub revolvers work better in real use with traditional rimmed cases 38 Special, 32 H&R 32 S&W Long 22 Mag etc

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

I think you'll find that even if your single-stack DAO automatics are the same or similar capacity to your revolvers, reloads are still going to be much faster and easier with a magazine than they are with any of the revolver reloading devices (highly practiced and trained shooters like Jerry Miculek aside). It's just simpler for the average guy as it requires fewer fine-motor manipulations to swap out a magazine.

There are still a lot of valid reasons to opt for a revolver (some of which were pointed out by @ECS686), you just need to be sure that the gear (and your skillset with it) matches the mission.

Also, if you're looking for a mid-size DAO carry gun with high capacity to round out your carry options, you should give the Sig P250 a look. They are discontinued, but can be had used pretty cheap and share a lot of accessories (Grip modules, barrels, and mags) with the still-in-production P320. Instead of a striker like the P320, though, the P250 employs a DAO hammer-fired trigger system with a very long, smooth trigger pull similar to a revolver or your Kahr. They made them in subcompact, compact, and full-size models.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I think you'll find that even if your single-stack DAO automatics are the same or similar capacity to your revolvers, reloads are still going to be much faster and easier with a magazine than they are with any of the revolver reloading devices (highly practiced and trained shooters like Jerry Miculek aside). It's just simpler for the average guy as it requires fewer fine-motor manipulations to swap out a magazine.

There are still a lot of valid reasons to opt for a revolver (some of which were pointed out by @ECS686), you just need to be sure that the gear (and your skillset with it) matches the mission.

Also, if you're looking for a mid-size DAO carry gun with high capacity to round out your carry options, you should give the Sig P250 a look. They are discontinued, but can be had used pretty cheap and share a lot of accessories (Grip modules, barrels, and mags) with the still-in-production P320. Instead of a striker like the P320, though, the P250 employs a DAO hammer-fired trigger system with a very long, smooth trigger pull similar to a revolver or your Kahr. They made them in subcompact, compact, and full-size models.
    The Sig 250 was under rated. It really is a good system. Too bad it didn’t catch on.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If anyone wants to get some good relevant for revolvers. From historical to the use of full size and snubs here is your resource. American Fighting Revolver link below.

I have hosted DB and Bryan and they are very knowledgeable on the subject of Wheelguns. And I just attended the east coast revolver roundup and I highly suggest going to one of them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I only carry a J-frame 5 shot. I figure if I need more than 5 rounds my ass is in trouble

Go to 3:39
    1 defender with a 6 shot revolver vs 5 bad guys with clubs.

You can watch the whole thing if you like. But 3:39 is the one I think you will consider to be in trouble.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I had my Taurus 856 Defender out yesterday. The HKS 6-round speedloaders do not work very well with it because the Defender comes with a handful of (Hogue?) grip. The thinner boot-grips of the standard 856 may work fine with speedloaders. I bought a set of 6-round speed strips. So far, the only speedloaders I can really use are the 7-rounders that feed my 686+. Which is OK. I will likely never carry a 4", 7-shot revolver. If I wanted to lug around that much steel, I'd carry a 1911.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I had my Taurus 856 Defender out yesterday. The HKS 6-round speedloaders do not work very well with it because the Defender comes with a handful of (Hogue?) grip. The thinner boot-grips of the standard 856 may work fine with speedloaders. I bought a set of 6-round speed strips. So far, the only speedloaders I can really use are the 7-rounders that feed my 686+. Which is OK. I will likely never carry a 4", 7-shot revolver. If I wanted to lug around that much steel, I'd carry a 1911.
    While not a snub I threw an old pair of Pacmyhr on my model 15 and forgot how nice the cut out is for speedloaders.

I believe the j frame and other snub makes from pacmyhr are the same it also helps when running speed strips but YMMV

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I did a thing I'm not proud of last week. I bought a Taurus. After getting burned twice I swore I'd never do that again, but this one is pretty unique and not something I can get anywhere else. It's a Model 450 Titanium in .45 Colt (think a 19oz Airweight K-Frame snubby in a big-boy caliber!).

It came with two HKS speedloaders, and in playing with those some at the range I was reminded of something I really like about big-bore revolvers...those huge charge holes make reloading much easier. The rounds (particularly something with a round-nose profile) seem to just line themselves up on their own and fall into the chambers. I have a far easier time reloading that gun than I do my .38/.357s.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got rid of my revolvers a while back, when Glock came out with the G43. So take my suggestion for what it's worth.

When I did pursue the speed strip thing, I decided the 8 round strips were the best for me. Two 8 round strips fit nicely in a back pocket and are easy to access. Speed strip reloading is cumbersome, when you aren't being shot at. You can pretty easily loose rounds when loading under stress. Or drop the whole whole thing before fully loaded. It's way easier, (under stress or not,) to find a partially loaded speed strip on the ground than an empty one.

:twocents:

Last edited:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I did a thing I'm not proud of last week. I bought a Taurus. After getting burned twice I swore I'd never do that again, but this one is pretty unique and not something I can get anywhere else. It's a Model 450 Titanium in .45 Colt (think a 19oz Airweight K-Frame snubby in a big-boy caliber!).

It came with two HKS speedloaders, and in playing with those some at the range I was reminded of something I really like about big-bore revolvers...those huge charge holes make reloading much easier. The rounds (particularly something with a round-nose profile) seem to just line themselves up on their own and fall into the chambers. I have a far easier time reloading that gun than I do my .38/.357s.
    Congratulations on your Taurus. I hope it works out for you. I had one more problem with mine, that I did not mention, while practicing reloads a few days ago. Mind you, I was NOT shooting, just running reload drills. In the middle of one reload, I palmed the ejector rod, with the gun vertical, and as expected, the snap-cap rounds fell to the floor. So did the screw, spring, and plunger that hold the cylinder in place. I WAS NOT EVEN RUNNING LIVE AMMO! I have a CA Off Duty that has SHOT itself to parts falling off twice, in less than 1,000 rounds. The Taurus has been OK, except for the worst trigger I've ever pressed. Galloway springs, 2000 dry fires, and several hundred rounds later, the trigger is way better. Now the gun falls apart in my hand. I'm done with both manufacturers. I have two S&W revolvers: 442 & 686+. Both still have all parts attached, and fire whatever I feed them. I was considering a Taurus 82 (.38) or 65 (.357). Both are full size, 4", steel, 6-shot. I'll save for a S&W; it'll be less expensive.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

20240827_063659.jpg
    Older model 444 I believe.
    Total titanium .44special
    I does have a bark, and it matches it's bite!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Congratulations on your Taurus. I hope it works out for you. I had one more problem with mine, that I did not mention, while practicing reloads a few days ago. Mind you, I was NOT shooting, just running reload drills. In the middle of one reload, I palmed the ejector rod, with the gun vertical, and as expected, the snap-cap rounds fell to the floor. So did the screw, spring, and plunger that hold the cylinder in place. I WAS NOT EVEN RUNNING LIVE AMMO! I have a CA Off Duty that has SHOT itself to parts falling off twice, in less than 1,000 rounds. The Taurus has been OK, except for the worst trigger I've ever pressed. Galloway springs, 2000 dry fires, and several hundred rounds later, the trigger is way better. Now the gun falls apart in my hand. I'm done with both manufacturers. I have two S&W revolvers: 442 & 686+. Both still have all parts attached, and fire whatever I feed them. I was considering a Taurus 82 (.38) or 65 (.357). Both are full size, 4", steel, 6-shot. I'll save for a S&W; it'll be less expensive.
    That's the Taurus of 30 years ago.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread or turn it into a Taurus discussion, but I thought the observation about reloading the larger charge-holes was relevant to the topic.

The 450 Titanium was only produced from 1999-2002. If anybody is interested and wants more details, I did start a pretty in-depth thread over on the sigforum about it (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8200034015). Long story short on the gun: Mechanically I have no complaints so far, but there are some accuracy issues that I'm trying to work through.

Top Bottom