• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I am very interested to get into reloading. I will probably go through about 1000 rounds a year and only 9mm to start so I thought about starting with just a single stage. Is a kit the best way to get started or should I by everything individually? My father in law gave me an old RCBS 5-10 (09070) scale so I am good there. I was thinking of the Lee breech lock (cast or STD). I just don't know how accurate the Lee powder measure is compared to Hornady or RCBS. What other components are best to start with better quality? Quality can be a loose term with many factos to consider. Sometimes saving a little money up front costs you more later. Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The Breech Lock comes with a lot of goodies. Really you just need a digital scale and ditch the analog one. Well, and the die set(s)...

EDIT: And a caliper to measure OAL.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I bought the Lee breach lock loading kit. Just an FYI, the scale is ok, and the powder measure sucks. I upgraded to a RCBS Chargemsater scale/powder measure combo. They are not cheap, but well worth it if you load with a single stage. Especially if you are going to use any extruded powders, as I do.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I used a Lee Challenger kit for about 14 years. The scale works fine, it just requires that you take 5 minutes to learn how to use it correctly. I still use the powder measure almost 20 years later. There are no problems with it.

For minimal cost, I would by this kit -- http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90030&src=exrbSrch -- rather than this kit -- http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90050&src=exrbSrch -- because it come with the hand priming tool.

For a better press, Get one of the "Classic" presses, either the Classic Cast press or the Classic Turret press. They are fantastic presses and don't break the bank.

In addition to the kit you will need a set of calipers. Watch for a coupon for the nice set from Harbor Freight, either dial or digital. To get better calipers you need to spend $100 on Mitutoyo. (This from someone who uses calipers nearly every day.)

If you want a digital scale, don't pay the markup of the reloading companies, just find a nice, cheap 0.001g scale and pay $20-$30 instead of twice as much for an inferior scale. Most "reloading" scales can only resolve to 0.01g. If the scale does not weigh in grains natively, it will have to convert from grams to grains. There will be rounding errors and it will "skip" tenths of a grain and your loads will only be accurate to 0.2 grains.

However, I would recommend a beam scale for a beginner.

Aside from what comes in the Lee kit, and calipers, the next thing I would buy is a brass tumbler.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've been reloading for 12 years and never used a digital scale. The Lee beam scale to check the red plastic powder measurer has always worked for me. I did buy some calibration weights to make sure the beam was still accurate and it was perfect.

A single stage is great to learn on, and I also started out on one. I then went to a turret press, which I still use.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought about starting with just a single stage.

A single stage would be a great choice for the amount you state you would load initially... Saying that though, if you think that number would increase in the near future, I would seriously consider the Lee Classic turret... The Classic version is a heavy built press that will last you for years and would only run a slight amount more than a single stage. One of the great things about the turret is in just a couple seconds the indexing rod can be removed or replaced and function either as a turret or a single stage.

I have both a RCBS Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic turret. The Lee has always met my needs and I have never felt the need to go full progressive... The RCBS sadly has housed my Hornady cam-lock bullet puller and has only served that purpose for a few years now...

My father in law gave me an old RCBS 5-10 (09070) scale so I am good there.

With that fact, I'm not sure just how beneficial buying a kit would be... Lee's powder scale works fine, but if you already have what I think it is, you already have the better scale...

I just don't know how accurate the Lee powder measure is compared to Hornady or RCBS. quality?

I'm not familiar with the Lee you are speaking of. I use a old RCBS uniflow on some occasions and it works great. On all my turrets, I have the Lee Pro Auto-Disk's, and also really like them. Never really hear many mention it, but the Auto-Disk can also be used on a single stage. it mounts on top of the Lee expander die and when you expand the case mouth, it drops the charge.

Sometimes saving a little money up front costs you more later.

That can be true ! Continue to do your homework and use this time as certain things are impossible to find to your advantage and make the best choice possible... One thing you could buy immediately and it would help with your choices would be a good loading manual or two... There are many good ones out there, but I have always liked the Lyman and Lee's Modern reloading..

Last edited:

TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I'm not familiar with the Lee you are speaking of. I use a old RCBS uniflow on some occasions and it works great. On all my turrets, I have the Lee Pro Auto-Disk's, and also really like them. Never really hear many mention it, but the Auto-Disk can also be used on a single stage. it mounts on top of the Lee expander die and when you expand the case mouth, it drops the charge.

The powder measure was my main question with the Lee kit or buying the Lee Por Auto-Disk. I like the fact even on a single stage I can drop the powder during the expansion. I just didn't know how accurate or repeatable it was since it appears to be made completely of plastic. The Hornady Hornady Lock-N-Load Powder Measure or RCBS RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure Standard Cylinder would both be nice units and probably last forever but I didn't know what path to take.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you mean this thing:

p-3787.jpg

Its very repeatable. I verify every 200 rounds and its never wandered on me.

I meant to add earlier that I did start out with the single stage Lee kit and other than calibration weights, calipers, and a bullet puller I don't think I've added much to it over the years. I have reloaded .40 and .45 for a long time, and recently added .357. Never tried rifle rounds yet, I just don't shoot enough long gun to make it worth it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The powder measure was my main question with the Lee kit or buying the Lee Por Auto-Disk. I like the fact even on a single stage I can drop the powder during the expansion. I just didn't know how accurate or repeatable it was since it appears to be made completely of plastic.

Again, I can't speak to the accuracy of the one that comes in the kit... Have never even touched one...:)

Now on the Pro Auto-Disk, I like them so much I have 11 of em... One on top of every turret... I can literally switch from one caliber to another and be loading in a few short minutes, even verifying the charge is still correct... I find them to be VERY accurate with the majority of powders... One powder I find it to not be the most accurate with is Unique, which is hands down the powder I use most... It does well enough with Unique because these loads are always mild to mid range and a GOOD tenth here or there doesn't bother me...

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you mean this thing:

p-3787.jpg

I meant to add earlier that I did start out with the single stage Lee kit and other than calibration weights, calipers, and a bullet puller I don't think I've added much to it over the years. I have reloaded .40 and .45 for a long time, and recently added .357. Never tried rifle rounds yet, I just don't shoot enough long gun to make it worth it.

What the first few posters said is true of this measurer. It works fine for ball powder, but really can't measure flake powder, which is why I'm about to buy an RCBS upgrade. If you stay away from flake powder you can get by, although due to the powder shortage I only have flake.

I also forgot to mention a caliper. You can get a digital one for $30. This is very important for measuring the OAL.

Ketchup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    I went with a dillon 550 and never looked back. Also, after trying out a few scales I found that the dillon digital scale was my favorite because it is fairly consistent. The cheap ones were always off and the others kept floating. I did consider a chargemaster but never pulled the trigger on one.

If you haven't already, I would suggest loading up on powder and primers NOW.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I just started loading 9mm about 3 months ago and went with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. I didn't buy the kit, just the press, then bought what I wanted to go with it.
    The RCBS Uniflow is great. I use a Hornaday digital scale, and metal calipers. Send more than $10 on calipers. You don't have to go nuts, but I personally don't like cheap tools. You get what you pay for.
    I use the Lee 4-piece deluxe die set. there's a guy on Ebay that sells an adapter so you can put the uniflow powder measure on top of the flaring die, that way I can flare and charge in one step. Works pretty good.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What the first few posters said is true of this measurer. It works fine for ball powder, but really can't measure flake powder, which is why I'm about to buy an RCBS upgrade. If you stay away from flake powder you can get by, although due to the powder shortage I only have flake.

I also forgot to mention a caliper. You can get a digital one for $30. This is very important for measuring the OAL.

As for flake powders, I have used it with Bullseye, Unique and Universal. No problems at all with Bullseye or Universal. Unique gives me +/- 0.1gr, or a 0.2gr spread. The Pro Auto Disk hates Unique. That's OK, so do I. I don't have any issues with stick powders either.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you mean this thing:

p-3787.jpg

Mine was not repeatable at all. No matter what technique I used to drop the powder.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mine was not repeatable at all. No matter what technique I used to drop the powder.

Maybe you got a bum one, like any device there's going to be some that make it out with problems. I've loaded thousands of rounds with assorted Accurate and IMR powders (including the flake IMR-700x) with no problems.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    This is all very interested to me because I am getting into reloading also. I bought a lee challenger breech lock kit delivered today. I ordered it from midway. From what I can see it looks to be a decent setup but I don't like the scales that came with it but I have a digital scale ordered too. I think its going to be a good setup for the money but the sky is the limit too

ifr2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    Indy
    I got a Lee Classic Turret Press Kit 2 months ago and I've already loaded over 1000 rounds. I'd suggest the Turret Press, I like it.

Top Bottom