• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Thank you all for the help with the rifle reloading. I have bought several powders primers and bullets that you guys recommended I start with and an build my load data now. With that being said I'm adding .40, .38/.357 and 9mm to my reloading list and with the help I got last time figured I'd give it another go.

With the .40 cal and 9mm ill be shooting mostly steel so just looking for a good reliable set up for that. But the .38/.357 kinda going more for accuracy. So any help would be appreciated thanks. :draw:

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    WSF is a great powder for 40 and 9 Any small pisto primer works good in these.
    231 will work in all the loads. Bullseye is my favorite for 38 special.
    Revolvers work best with federal primers. They are more reliable.
    Round nose bullets are a good choice for all.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I don't have a lot of experience with a wide variety of different pistol powders, but of those I've tried, my favorite is Hodgdon HP-38. It's versatile and accurate, and will work in any of the calibers you listed. Of those you listed, I only load 9mm (also load 45 ACP), but here are some loads I've worked up.

9mm Luger 115 gr LRN (Copper Plated)
    Overall Length: 1.169"
    Case Length: .754"

Hodgdon HP-38
    Min - Max Load: 4.3 - 4.8 gr
    VMD: .09260
    Target Load: 4.6 gr
    .43 cc
    Auto disk: .43

9mm Luger 124 gr FMJ
    Hodgdon HP-38
    Min - Max Load: 4.4 - 4.8 gr
    VMD: .09260
    Target Load: 4.6 gr
    .43 cc
    Auto disk: .43

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I use AA#2 for forty and like Red Dot for 9MM. Unique,Bullseye,HP-38/231 for .38 but if I could only use one it would be HP-38 for all hands down.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I use a 115gr Powerbond for 9mm, 4.7 grains of Red Dot

For 38 spl, I basically just load a wadcutter load with a semi wascutter, 158gr SWC with 3.3gr of Red Dot. I have 4 revolvers that will shoot a 38spl and it seems like all 4 like this load

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    My magnum powder is Alliant 2400 from .357 mag. to 454 Casull, tried Accurate and Hodgdon powders and like 2400 better. I just started loading 9mm using Bullseye and have worked up a load I am happy with but would really like to find some more Power Pistol for that. The PP has worked well in .357 mag. and 45 ACP for me, just can't find any right now. Jim.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    2400 for the Magnum, Universal works for lighter loads
    Universal and No.7 for the .40
    W231, HP-38 for the .38 SPL
    No.2 for .38 SPL target loads
    What's that leave... 9mm... Haven't found a powder I absolutely love for the 9mm, Universal works pretty well, and I already have it for the .40.

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming. Think I'm start and try and pick up some hp-38 and 2400 to try out for now but keep-um coming I love having back ups to try if I don't like them.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I use a lot of Unique for 45 ACP (easily will load 1000 rounds from 1 pound @ 7 grains), 38 Special and 9mm, sometimes Bullseye too. Both go a very long way and burn pretty clean (Unique used to have a rep for being dirty but they have changed the formula for the better) Have also used Blue Dot and Red Dot.

My favorite magnum powder in .357, 44 mag and hot 45 Colt loads (Ruger and Contender only) is Win 296/H110.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My .40 load:

165gr X-treme Plated Bullets
    4.7gr Hodgdon Titegroup
    CCI Small Pistol Primers
    1.125" OAL

I know that Titegroup will work with 9mm as well but I have no experience with the .38/.357. I've also had good accuracy with this load, but I'm sure there are slower burning powders that would be much better for accuracy needs. The main reason I use Titegroup is because it doesn't take much and therefore I can get more plinking rounds per pound of powder.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Was your question really just about which powders to use for these cartridges? That is largely a matter of record (reloading data) and personal preference.

Are you comfortable with the mechanical differences in loading pistol ammo?

Predator hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Greenwood
    Was your question really just about which powders to use for these cartridges? That is largely a matter of record (reloading data) and personal preference.

Are you comfortable with the mechanical differences in loading pistol ammo?
    The mechanical aspect yes I am iv read a lot on it and done quite a bit research. I am looking for those personal preferences to see what I should start with rather then trying out the 15 powders the handbook has listed. Trying to see what has worked well for others as a starting point (neirowing down the options as it were)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    All the powders listed in your handgun, they'll go bang just fine and out of a handgun I've managed to get decent to good accuracy out of about any type of powder I shoot through them.

Im my 41 mag I've done No7, No9, Enforcer, Unique, Red Dot, Trail Boss, and probably 2 or 3 others. They all shot okay to good depending on powder loads. So far in my experience, handguns aren't nearly as picky as rifles when it comes to powder. If I was bench shooting with a handgun or hunting with it I'd want max accuracy 1" groups at 50 yards type of thing, but I'm not. I go for good accuracy and that's 30 yards of hand, 3" groups.

About the only pistol I have that's picky is my Hi Power. My 4.7 grains of Red Dot with a 115 gr Powerbond doesn't shoot all that accurately while my little Sig P290 shoots that load better, and it's a small little double action bugger.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Several here and in other posts mention using Federal primers. I have also read online that Federal primers are recommended for certain gun modifications. What is it with Federals that make them the choice for some conditions? And could you use Federal's exclusively for everything?

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Federal primers are the only choice for some highly tuned revolvers where the double action pull is very light. They even have to crush the primers slightly to use them. I don't go that far.
    I have used the federals for magnum revolver loads and full power 38 super loads and they work fine.
    They are more sensitive than other primers. And some Lee presses warned against using them.
    Some time ago Federal was forced to change their packaging due to some NATO spec presumably because of the sensitivity issue.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Federal primers are the only choice for some highly tuned revolvers where the double action pull is very light. They even have to crush the primers slightly to use them. I don't go that far.
    I have used the federals for magnum revolver loads and full power 38 super loads and they work fine.
    They are more sensitive than other primers. And some Lee presses warned against using them.
    Some time ago Federal was forced to change their packaging due to some NATO spec presumably because of the sensitivity issue.

Does this mean that I could ignite some with my RCBS hand primer tool?

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    "Does this mean that I could ignite some with my RCBS hand primer tool?"
    Did it come with a warning on it? All primers require caution when reloading.
    I use a Dillon 550 and have not had any issues with the priming.
    There are some issues with Dillon 650s having primers detonate without regard to manufacturer.
    The old Lee loaders were famous for primer detonation.
    Some ARs will go full auto with sensitive primers.
    I think just use reasonable caution with all primers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    "Does this mean that I could ignite some with my RCBS hand primer tool?"
    Did it come with a warning on it? All primers require caution when reloading.
    I use a Dillon 550 and have not had any issues with the priming.
    There are some issues with Dillon 650s having primers detonate without regard to manufacturer.
    The old Lee loaders were famous for primer detonation.
    Some ARs will go full auto with sensitive primers.
    I think just use reasonable caution with all primers.

Okay, thanks. Good to know. I am careful with all of my reloading steps. Probably most careful when priming cases.

Top Bottom