• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Is anyone else going to miss RedBox? I only watch a few movies a year, so it is not worth paying for any of the streaming services. Redbox was a great way to pick up an occasional movie. It’s funny that they say RedBox spelled the end to Blockbuster, and now streaming services spelled the end to RedBox

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    If I can't find what I want on the streaming services I have it is almost always available from my library. Exceptions being Apple & Prime produced shows.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I noticed the Redbox ripped out at a gas station I use. I momentarily had a brush of nostalgia, remembering the mid 20-teens.

Amazon Prime (actually, just Amazon video)- you can rent pretty much any movie online for $1.99 to $3.99 depending upon whether its HD or 4k, or whatever.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Didn’t realize that people still actually watched movies on physical media. I haven’t had a Blu-ray player for probably 6 or so years.
    We’ve still got one, even still have a VCR but I’m not sure they’re even connected anymore. We certainly have used either in years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is anyone else going to miss RedBox? I only watch a few movies a year, so it is not worth paying for any of the streaming services. Redbox was a great way to pick up an occasional movie. It’s funny that they say RedBox spelled the end to Blockbuster, and now streaming services spelled the end to RedBox
    Have never heard that RedBox spelled the end of Blockbuster. Now Netflix did, but not RedBox, I think Blockbuster was about gone when I heard of RedBox…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Didn’t realize that people still actually watched movies on physical media. I haven’t had a Blu-ray player for probably 6 or so years.
    I have a 4k Blu Ray...and for the right movie with the right sound encoding- oh boy. "Interstellar" rocked my world.

I also have a VCR.....somewhere.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You could buy a firestick for under $20. There’s lots of totally free apps with movies and tv shows.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I use to use them quite a bit, at least weekly. About 10 months ago I noticed their selection was starting to dwindle, streaming definitely went sour. Will miss them just because they were my go to every week. My wife and I had pizza movie night every Saturday and I used them majority of time; getting allot of deals since I was a frequent user.

Sad but like many others before, they get overshadowed by the giants of today. Too bad.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Redbox falls in the category of 'why drive to do something I can do from home' to me. Streaming, Amazon rentals, a ton of free movies on Youtube's official movie channel (and they rotate, Cool Hand Luke was available for free a few weeks back, hadn't seen that one in years, but it's back to paid rental now).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Redbox falls in the category of 'why drive to do something I can do from home' to me. Streaming, Amazon rentals, a ton of free movies on Youtube's official movie channel (and they rotate, Cool Hand Luke was available for free a few weeks back, hadn't seen that one in years, but it's back to paid rental now).
    The whole who has what can be pretty nutty. Watched Suits recently on Netflix, had to get the last season on Prime, now the last season is on Netflix just two weeks later and not on Prime. I like how when you look at their guides they are now telling you if something is leaving.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Physical media may not be as convenient compared to streaming, however it has several major advantages. It's non-centralized and stores data in a format more resistant to data rot when stored right. Unless the industry stops their slow attack on consumer rights, I guarantee people will regret the loss of physical media and not just due to nostalgia.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There hasn't been anything coming out of Hollywood worth watching for many years, and it's
    just gotten worse.
    Between all of the wokeness and remakes of remakes, I find that we don't watch as much television/movies as we did when younger.

I definitely watch less television then when I was a kid. I think some of that is just there's so much more to occupy our time. I read less as well, though that fluctuates with the time of year.

Probably half the movies I watch are on airplanes. Even if they aren't great, you're not leaving the theater early...

Top Bottom