Red Jacket - Your thoughts before the TV Show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had the same opinion of them before the show as you did Fenway, and for the same reason. I still have a high opinion of their work, and until I hear of the build quality going south I always will. In fact I've been casually looking for a Red Jacket build and hope to pick one up at some point.

I chock the TV show and what goes on to the producers trying to make "good" sellable TV and nothing more.

oh, and you can change the skin on theakforum.net to a different version to be easier on the eyes :)

They have had a couple in stock at Target World in Cincinnati every time I have been there. They have a lot of good stuff there. :yesway:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Okay, best construction here. I dealt with Will before the show, they were a prescense on Warriortalk and had their own subforum. I purchased a RJ AK from them during that time (pre show), and have been very happy with it, and the customer service I received. That being said, since the show began, I imagine they have had some growing pains. After hearing many complaints on their customer service and quality of their builds, we dropped their sub forum from Warriortalk. This was before we started building our own AK's so I don't think it was a competition thing. For that matter, we still have sub forums for Rifle Dynamaics, Arizona Response Systems, and Krebs. There you have it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Didn't know who they were before watching, and for sure would never buy anything from them.

Same.
    They look like a bunch of idiots and amateurs.
    It really looks like I could do better with a Dremel tool and im far from a gunsmith.
    Their gun handling scares me too, that's very unprofessional. :n00b:
    I wouldn't buy anything from them and I wouldn't want to be around them when they handle guns (always pointing them at someone in the shop with finger on the trigger).
    How come they havent killed someone by accident yet? :dunno:
    Good think they use blanks and fake most of the shooting stuff they do on that ridiculous show.
    Like that rocket launcher that shot "real live high explosives" who were clearly training rounds.
    Or that DE .50 cal that turned into a 9mm Beretta by magic. :rolleyes:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i love watching a show about guns that is only 25% about guns. after all who watches a gun show just to see guns? seems crazy to me. :rolleyes:

that about sums it up i would say. pointless drama, cocky attitudes. if you're gunna film an hour long show and fill it with crappy drama becuase there isn't enough substance, why make it an hour long? 30 minutes seems more fitting, sometimes i would even be satisfied with 15 minutes. i continue to watch the show because i enjoy the historical weapons they feature, but the drama and Stef/Kris love thing is old and boring.

oh and her laugh.........:runaway:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I never heard of Red Jacket before the show. With all the temper tantrums Will throws....Pretty soon they will call it Straight Jacket.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2 friends have bought their Siaga 12's from them. They paid huge money and waited a long time with many phone calls some of them very angry ones when promised deadlines for shipping came and went with no product. It was a complete joke. When they got the guns we went and shot them and my Siaga (built by myself) ran as well with less parts falling of during the initial run. Both of those guns needed a complete nut and bolt session. Not impressed at all. They could have had a red dragon from RR race guns for the same money.
    Sometimes a shop gets too big, too quick. I have heard folks say they "Had" a very good Rep. at one time. I will never use them especially after watching the show. Scary!!

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    When I lived in Florida (before the show) I had the opportunity to shoot a few of thier AK's and I liked them. They seemed to function great and thier quality was really good, but I havent shot or seen one for a while. I am going to guess that discovery channel probably offered them enough to make it very profitable for them to get into the show, and the directors and Discovery have taken over and added drama. For the amount of guns that they produce there is no way that the cameras are showing everything, there has to be more to it than what we see on T.V.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I thought I read somewhere that they were missing some weapons from inventory , ended up giving up their lic. Now father and daughter are just on the show .

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I watched an episode last night. There was a guy with muscle problems and couldn't rack the slide of his glock. So instead of ordering the guy one of these:

GLOCK SLIDE RACKER - Brownells

they jerry-rigged something up like a charging handle from an AR... of course it was the dim-wit daughter's idea.

and if the boss still doesn't think his apprentice isn't shagging the daughter, he's dumber than all of them.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    I had never heard of them before the show . I liked the show the first few times I had watched it , but they make themselves look not so smart most of the time . I dont believe the products they sell are for me .

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I didn't know them before the show and I still don't care to know them, even after watching a couple episodes. If they don't take their business and craft seriously, then I have no reason to believe they will take my build seriously and respect my time, money, and the end product they provide me.

There is some producer out there trying to do the same thing with the gun industry as what was done with motorcycles about 15 years ago and with golf about 10 years ago. They put these shows on to drive the masses to the stores. I got so tired of watching executive wanna-be-one-percenters driving up the prices of bikes, I refused to buy the Harley I dreamed about for years. These guys aren't even doing it as well as the bike and golf industry! I would never finance a build through those guys because I view them as sellouts.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i'd never heard of them before the show, and like most here i dont want anything of theirs now that i've seen the show.

i wish that it was a better show and that it would have actually helped the 2nd amendment cause.

jake

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Before the show I had always heard of RJF in reference to high-end custom AKs.

After seeing the show they seem like a joke.

This but joke is putting it lightly. I really hope they're putting on a show for the cameras because most seem of the shop seem to be morons.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I just want to get me one of dem piston-ARs they invented! If it's good enough for a guy pretending to be a general in a blacked-out SUV. It's good enough for me!!

Top Bottom