Red Jacket - Your thoughts before the TV Show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I used to hang out a bit on theakforum.net before INGO and before the forum became painful on the eyes. Red Jacket had a great reputation on there. I heard excellent things about the shop and enjoyed their build threads and pictures.

We have a Red Jacket thread going in this forum already where people make fun of the show. I agree it's ridiculous and it has hurt my impression of the shop.

Did you know of Red Jacket before the show? What was your impression before the show?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'll be honest... I'd never heard of them before the show. I'm sure they do quality work, but the show sometimes makes ya wonder.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Before the show I had always heard of RJF in reference to high-end custom AKs.

After seeing the show they seem like a joke.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I never heard of them before the show. So I guess that as fas as getting their name out there it has helped them. But it really wouldn't make me want to buy anything from them.

I don't like the show. I think it's pretty stupid but that is the way I feel about all these "reality" shows. They play if off like it "reality" when it's really just another scripted show on TV.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I was both aware of Red Jacket and have handled a few of their AKs prior to the show ..... having said that, as a machinist I cringe at some of their techniques and it makes me wonder if the extra cost in their products is really value added.

I have watched the show and enjoyed the entertainment value and just seeing a show about weapons that interest me is enough to keep watching..... but its getting stale and now they upgrading an AR to shoot a big bullet !!! Another game changer.....??? ;)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Red Jackass Firearms.....

I wouldn't buy a T-shirt from those clowns let alone a firearm...

I am sure the show exploded their business but it has totally turned me off from them.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I had heard they made quality stuff previously, but I'm not into aks so i never was interested in their products. It seems to me like every show Will and his daughter act more rude than the last show, like they are bigger than the show itself, its getting ridiculous. I started off enjoying the show but have come to dislike it, largely based on the behavior. Also will they please stop acting like they are the first people to build everything come on...:rolleyes: I bet they are gonna act like the ar they have built in the next episode is the first one ever to be built in a large caliber. I will never buy a product from them.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I herd of them a few years back, they were held in pretty high regaurd in the AK world from what I understand. But after seeing the show I dont see why. I think they hurt themselves with that show and some of the rediculousness they air. Name recognition or not, i dont think they made a wise business choice, but Im sure they get tons of business from people that dont know any better and just want to say hey guys look at my RJF Ak. Sorry not me!

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    The show is what it is. Season one was pretty good, season two it started to feel too contrived, and this season has seemed very scripted. Its obvious that they are building towards the big finale where Vince is going to leave the shop, but the three or four cut aways every episode where they have him point out something that is irking him are getting old. Like everything else on TV, we are only seeing part of the picture, but the things I heard about their products before the show were generally pretty posititve.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had heard of red jacket before the show. Now that I have seen the show, and I gave it a chance, I really did, I would not give them one red cent of my money. I'll stick with my off the rack WASRs, they work just fine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I had the same opinion of them before the show as you did Fenway, and for the same reason. I still have a high opinion of their work, and until I hear of the build quality going south I always will. In fact I've been casually looking for a Red Jacket build and hope to pick one up at some point.

I chock the TV show and what goes on to the producers trying to make "good" sellable TV and nothing more.

oh, and you can change the skin on theakforum.net to a different version to be easier on the eyes :)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Like everyone else, I had heard of them a few years ago, in refernce to quality AK's, I have never seen one in person, although I would like to.
    Other than that, it does have a certain entertainment value. After all it is T.V.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I own a RJF S12, the only issues with the gun were induced by ME.

That said, I advised a close friend looking to get a S12 to RJF, he had multiple issues in regards to the delivery timeline as well as simple CS screw-ups. However, once the gun arrived he was happy with the result, but vowed never to do buisness wit RJF again. The time frame for his purchase was right at the beging of the show.

Secondly, while I have seen small snippets of the show, I don't watch it regularly, I can not stand it. But I am one who thinks ALL "reality" shows are far from realiy and they just plain suck.

Top Bottom