• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Okay this may be a basic question but what is the difference between a Red Dot and Holographic Sight? Also, what is your personal preference? I tried to search Google for it, but seemed to keep finding the difference between the sights for the new Call of Duty game?

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Red dot (Aimpoint) is simply a red dot illuminated on the sight, usually in red and/or green. Holo sights (eotech) project a crosshair like image on the sight. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The holographic sight also moves with your head. The reticle stays on target but moves around on the actual sight if you move your head side to side etc.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The holographic sight also moves with your head. The reticle stays on target but moves around on the actual sight if you move your head side to side etc.

Aimpoints do the same thing.

I believe the difference is simply in the method used to get the dot in front of your face.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Aimpoints do the same thing.

I believe the difference is simply in the method used to get the dot in front of your face.

Red Dots us an LED and are fairly energy efficient. HWS use a laser and a hologram to recreate the sight and give a wider field of view for close quarters work. Downside is battery life. I have both an Aimpoint (RDS) and an Eotech (HWS). I like them both. The Eotech is on my varmit around the house gun and the Aimpoint is on my hunting gun.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    when I was in the Rangers we trained with aimpoints, but when i made E5 i had the option to get an eotech, i quickly took it, and i can tell you having used both in combat, i am DEFFINATELY WITHOUT A DOUBT and EOTECH guy for life. much better sight picture and an easier dot to track when your moving quick. but im sure others who have been through the same as me will tell you they like aimpoint. so realy its what you like best. they are ALL expenssive but dont skimp on quality for your kit. find a buddy with and aimpoint and then find a buddy with an eotech and GO SHOOT, A LOT with both and then you will know which is best. I dont even mind iron sights truthfully, i can shoot just as good with them, but maybe an eotech makes a difference by miliseconds, but thats all the difference it takes

Stoop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    I have an EoTech on my AR, but I think the device is too big, I'd much prefer a smaller unit if I was buying over again.

HD1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Henderson, KY
    I have an Aimpoint M4. I love the 80,000 hour battery life on a single AA...plus they're dead nuts reliable. I leave mine turned on to the brightness setting I prefer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a 40mm B.S.A. red dot and it has been great. Had it mounted on a Saiga .223, then my Remy 597, now my Kel-Tec SU-22. Held zero on the .223 no problem. With my 597, I could practicly put every round in the same hole at 25 yards. I paid $49.99 for it at Gander in 2008 I believe.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Red dot (Aimpoint) is simply a red dot illuminated on the sight, usually in red and/or green. Holo sights (eotech) project a crosshair like image on the sight. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Are the advantages/disadvantages the same on pistol as they are on a rifle? Are the same units just as good on pistols, or are there various models which are better on pistols than on rifles?

DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Personal preference will make your decision. Both are excellent and accurate if set up properly. My choice is the Red Dot.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have an Aimpoint M4. I love the 80,000 hour battery life on a single AA...plus they're dead nuts reliable. I leave mine turned on to the brightness setting I prefer.

Dude thats a lot of batteries:D at 80000 hour life its only 3333.33 days which is only a little over 9 years

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Are the advantages/disadvantages the same on pistol as they are on a rifle? Are the same units just as good on pistols, or are there various models which are better on pistols than on rifles?

Weight is the limiting factor with pistols. Case in point - most people who shoot (centerfire) pistols with electronic sights use a RDS and specifically they choose C-More more often than Aimpoint or EOTech (heaviest of the bunch). The new Aimpoint Micro sights are probably the lightest tube RDS available and is getting a lot of traction in the competition crowd.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    The main question has already been answered. A holographic site such as an EO tech, is a red dot site. The dot might and does look different on the EO tech. I prefer a simple red dot like the Aimpoint though. It's rugged and the battery life can not be beat. I would also look into some of trijicon's red dot sites. Some of them don't even require batteries.

Hmm. Good and cheap? Find something used. There are no good and cheap sites out there that are new. The best you could do on a cheap budget would be to buy an Aimpoint knockoff, but I wouldn't suggest it. The fittings stink and it doesn't hold up well. Aimpoint knockoffs aren't always parallax free, and EOtec knockoffs don't hold zero or are parallax free. Do yourself a favor and save for a decent red dot scope, made by a company you trust. Afterall you wouldn't buy a 40k sports car to just throw cheap tires on it would you?

Aimpoints can sometimes be had for cheap used on ebay.

Top Bottom