• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke

This is just me, but I would shoot both eyes open like I always do and get my hits regardless. As long as the dot is visible you can make a shot easily. I believe Trijicon called it the Bindon Aiming Concept. Plus if your window is fogged up and you cannot use the Bindon concept how could you see the irons through the glass anyways?
    I stated I would not have a red dot on a defensive handgun.
    Long guns have offset irons.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I stated I would not have a red dot on a defensive handgun.
    Long guns have offset irons.

So other than the Chinese optics bit what is the point in posting in this thread then? Also the future is now Irons suck there someone said it

QxycGsH.jpg

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    So other than the Chinese optics bit what is the point in posting in this thread then? Also the future is now Irons suck there someone said it

QxycGsH.jpg

I misread an earlier post In this thread, thinking that it read backup sights not needed. My mistake.
    Still don't trust handgun optics 100% under all conditions.

I may be deserving of your video clip:)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I misread an earlier post In this thread, thinking that it read backup sights not needed. My mistake.
    Still don't trust handgun optics 100% under all conditions.

I may be deserving of your video clip:)

Since you seem to like enclosed emitter optics (IE Aimpoint) the Acro Gen 2 is supposed to be very nice if they ever actually sell any. Holosun has a really good offering in that category as well but Aimpoint seems to be more your style.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What does sage dynamic recommend for shooting in the rain?

What do they recommend for entering a warm environment from anything below 20 degrees?

Maybe I am just old fashioned? I don't believe weather should stop you. One way or another I am placing shots. Even have backup irons on my Barrett.
    I took Aaron's two day red dot class over the summer and the topic of rain / fogging came up. He essentially said based on his testing he considered it to be a non-issue. He said fogging can occur if you're say using an exposed duty holster in rural Minnesota in the winter and you're outside for a long period of time them move into a hot room. But almost all of the time the temp swings are not going to be extreme enough to completely fog up the lens, especially if you conceal carry and keep the pistol next to your body.

I personally have tested my Holosun optic in extremely wet conditions and had no issue with the emitter not working. I wore my pistol to the splash pad with my kids and stood under waterfalls for over an hour to the point of the entire back of the window pooling with water. I could still see the dot under the pool of water.

We also ran drills in the Sage class where we covered the optic window with tape to simulate fog, or an obstruction, or the dot going down. Having the front of the lens covered is no problem since you can still see the dot. Shooting with both eyes open your brain fills in the picture and it's almost like the window isn't covered at all. With the back window covered you can't see the dot, so you use the optic body to aim.

And ultimately, if you're worried about rain, snow, fog, mud, etc., you can also get a red dot with an enclosed emitter like an Aimpoint Acro of Holosun 509.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I remember when the BeeGees and many others capitalized on the Disco Scene. Everybody had to have a Disco hit.

A lot good RDS info here. Again, no doubt that is the future. I still believe they are at the “rotary phone” stage but are getting better all the time. I have ran dots since the Bianchi Cup days and for NRA Precision Pistol. Today I run with a MatchUltraDot, Burris FastFire III, and Leupold. I still don’t RDS street carry for a couple of reasons. One is I see the many fails at the range. True, that many gun owners keep bringing unreliable equipment to the range, but the failing dot adds to the list of jams, malfunctions, sights falling off, double charges, guns blown up, broken holsters, floppy belts and many more.

Two, for my applications, street defense means a close shot. While the dot can be very effective at close defensive footage, I personally don’t need it for defensive carry. Just Me. Most of the stages in action pistol matches that claim Practical or Defensive are just the opposite than street fights. The high round count and longer yardages are video game based when compared to staying alive on the street. The dot in the shooting sports reign along with PCC and will place in the scores but mainly because of the talent using them. You will see many scores, where not all dots and PCC’s are at the top. We call this a clue. It is not the hammer but the carpenter. First rule of a gunfight is to stay out of one followed by bring poop that works, followed by the skill set to use it.

I say to each their own and my usual disclaimer that my comments are my own views and pertain to civilian gun owners with the exception to professional applications.

So in summary, Compensators, Dots, APX carry, trick holsters, extended mags, tipsy trigger jobs, newest caliber of the year, hand grip baby powder, Velcro gun belts, Bullets dipped in majic dust, 15 shot revolvers, shooting bags the size of a Volkswagen, Goldilocks eyeball covers, and whatever the next craze will be, sign up for a match and swim your way to the top with any of the options that can get you there. If you add each option to a basic service handgun as a skill set earned accessory, you will be a better shooter and increase your chances of Stayin Alive.

See you on the range.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What does sage dynamic recommend for shooting in the rain?

What do they recommend for entering a warm environment from anything below 20 degrees?

Maybe I am just old fashioned? I don't believe weather should stop you. One way or another I am placing shots. Even have backup irons on my Barrett.

I've been EDCing with an RMR for 2 years now and I've never had fogging be that severe of an issue. Rain simply isn't a problem, the RMR has drain ports specifically for it.

If fogging becomes a significant issue for you, there's a product called cat crap that you can put on the lens and will entirely eliminate that problem.
    There's also multiple techniques for still performing reasonably accurate shots if the dot isn't able to be found.

Top Bottom