• ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    AK-47...is gun...it shoots...
    After this weekend where the latest attempted assassination attempt with the potential shooter using an AK...prices might jump high.....Seems to happen after every stupidity involving semi-auto rifles....
    Bought one before Sandy hook, just a matter of a few weeks.

Someone was negotiating the price with which ever vendor. They agreed at $350 for a wasr-10/63. Told the vendor I would take one for the same price if he wanted to sell it. He agreed.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Check out the AK operator dude on YouTube he knows Ak’s.

You can take a Revere Riders Carbine course and learn how to run it. We can teach AK as well as AR I know G3, FAL, M14 as well.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I personally vote AR15 over AK. Like @DadSmith said, they're like adult legos. Easy to modify and you can swap calibers too without a lot of effort. You'll eventually get enough spare parts to build a second one if you buy another receiver set lol.

I have an AK. It's fun, but it's still an AK. They're a general use rifle that can be a pain in the ass to modify compared to an AR15. If you really want one though, go for it. This hobby is about getting what you enjoy. Before you buy one, check out these guides for reference to make sure you're not picking up something that most people avoid:

In Depth Guide: https://thinlineweapons.com/wiki/index.php/Soviet_Firearms/Kalashnikov

Simplified Guide: https://thinlineweapons.com/wiki/index.php/SimpleBuyersGuide

If nothing else, those should give you a good reference point to start. Do a little more research on your own and go from there.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    What kind are you seeing for $450?
    The only US made that is liked by some, but disliked by a lot is the newer PSA AKs.
    If I was going to buy something, this would be the cheapest one.

I haven't seen an AK selling for $450 for at least 12-16 years.
    Neither have I, but if they do, I doubt it's worth owning
    I hope OP comes back to confirm, but I have a hunch that what he saw for $450 is actually one of those cheap 12-guage "AK"s.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don’t let the negativity dissuade you. Everyone needs both.
    Or a AR-15 with a 7.62x39mm upper.
    Or an AR-15 that has a lower that accepts AK47 magazines.

But to get a good AK-47 he's going to have to pay around 1k. Might as well get a decent AR-15 and just change uppers as needed to different calibers.

No negativity just stating the facts. If is person is on a budget they need to get a decent rifle from start that they can easily upgrade over time, and that isn't an AK-47.

tonto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    Madison
    AK-47...is gun...it shoots...
    After this weekend where the latest attempted assassination attempt with the potential shooter using an AK...prices might jump high.....Seems to happen after every stupidity involving semi-auto rifles....
    Damn that's actually messed up...

tonto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2024
    Madison
    If you really want an AK that will last forever, try looking for a Maadi. I know there are many others that are mechanically awesome, but Maadi's are so recognizable...good luck finding one, and you sure as all get out won't find one for anywhere even close to $450. As others have mentioned, if it's priced around that number, don't buy it--it's probably junk.

If you think you want to get into the addiction of modifying/upgrading a rifle then you definitely want an AR platform. If you don't care about mods but just want one that goes bang every time you need it to, find a good AK.

While I'm at it, if you want one that's going to be really accurate, don't get your hopes up about AK's--they're not meant for precision like the AR's (by and large) are. Conversely, AK's don't seem to care what bullets you feed them, while AR's can get fairly picky (depends on how much accuracy and which make/model) about bullet weights, brands, etc, etc.

If you want to go outside these boxes, you might think about IWI's Tavor line. Bullpup configuration really is kind of an acquired taste, but IWI builds some really awesome stuff. Ain't cheap, but pretty awesome. Kind of between AK and AR for modifying--the X95 can be played with somewhat (still nowhere close to AR modifications), while the original SAR is (mostly) a kind of as-is type of rifle--aftermarket trigger packs to reduce trigger pull, maybe some different furniture for hand guards, but not much else is easily/cheaply modded compared to AR's that you can change almost anything with aftermarket stuff.
    I would like to modify and work on whatever I get. I've redone the wood stock on my .22 Colt "Colteer" I got from my great gpa, so making a build to work on more and more until I'm happy is hopefully what I can do. The pic is something from a video game, Fallout New Vegas, that is something I'm dying to do someday. I appreciate the advice

Attachments

• images.jpeg
      images.jpeg
      9 KB · Views: 3

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I still say the M70 is the minimum I'd point someone to. I know that there's others that may be decent(PSA, Riley Defense, Pioneer) but the M70 is $200 more than those other's entry level rifles. I can understand trying to convince someone to spend $1200 when they can spend $600 to scratch the itch. With something like the M70, if you don't care much for it or you get tired of it, you can put up for sale for $100-125 less than you paid and it'll be gone within a week. Especially if you buy on sale under $900. You can't do that with those others. Folks with balk when they see a PSA entry AK for $600 used when they're $699 new. And if you do end up really enjoying the gun, you'll be glad you bought the import knowing it's been made right with the correct TDP

Top Bottom