• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you have a G23, carry it.

If you want something smaller, you won't notice enough difference in a baby Glock to bother.

Look at a S&W Airweight in 38 special for pocket carry, other small autos like the 9mm Kel-tec.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    i love my fnp 9 its small enough to conceal but big enough to shoot all day and it exposed hammer which i like. Plenty accurate and tough enough to take +p ammo but its not picky it will eat anything you throw in it for under 550 comes with 3 mags got mine in stainless all stainless parts inside so no rust. all 3 mags are stainless as well. i got mine for 490 last year

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would if its just to carry a Kel-Tec PF9 or P-11.
    Try to handle both to see which grip you like better.
    If you plan of using it at the range as a fun gun maybe go for the Glock 19.:)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The only handgun I own is a glock 23. I know I need more practice for sure! When I try to plug away quickly it seems that it is hard to get it back into aim to take another shot! I thought maybe a smaller calber might help?

Since you already have a G-23...I would suggest getting a 9mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors and a 9mm magazine to go with it. This way, you have 2 guns in 1 without all the expense of having to purchase and entire new gun! Shoot 9mm all day...carry the .40 at night. :rockwoot:

If you want the best of both worlds...buy a .357SIG barrel for the G-23 and you can use the same mags. It's a 9mm bullet sitting atop a necked-down, .40 caliber casing, giving you fantastic bullet velocity and a pretty solid set of ballistics. Just a thought...:cool:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't overlook the CZ-P01. It's a great handgun, not as small as the Kahrs, Kel-tecs etc but an excellent pistol that shoots as true out of the box as many custom pistols.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The primary reason for a compact handgun is allowing one to carry when a larger handgun would not fit with the level of effort and comprise you are willing to live with. That said, then one of the primary driving forces is how you are going to carry the handgun. If a pocket carry in dress slacks then you are very limitted and even a PPK is too large. For a strong side carry with an IWB holster and a square cut shirt (not tucket in), then a full size 1911 works for me and a USP Tatical for a close friend (little guy that pulls a few tricks and lives with the USP Tatical 45). Thus once you have zeroed on on the best carry method you life will allow, would look at the largest hand gun that fits and start from there. The other primary factors have to take second place, as does not matter how good of gun you have at home, when you need it and don't have it.

Next you need to find a gun that shoots well for you and your hands, which can only be done by trying and shooting. The G19 is always a good starting point (one of those semi compact guns that works at a full size gun nicely ... but is thicker than some of the smaller lower capacity models). One can also look at a steel 9mm (CZ or 1911) to take the bit out of shooting a little bit more.

Regards
    John

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    In my very limited experience:

Glock: Any of the 9mm frame sizes are excellent, just a little thicker than I prefer for CC. Service record is outstanding, with infinite accessory options.

Keltec PF9: Tiny, light, cheap, but horrible to shoot. Long heavy trigger pull is hard on accuracy. I would depend on this gun for 10 yards or less. Of course, with a lot of practice, I'm sure the range could be improved.

Kahr PM9: About the same footprint of the Keltec PF9, but a little thicker. Long, smooth DA trigger pull. Far more accurate and enjoyable to shoot than Keltec.

Walther PPS: My personal favorite. As thin as the Keltec (IWB carry) but larger footprint than either the Kahr or Keltec. Size resembles a very thin baby Glock. Excellent accuracy and trigger pull. Expensive gun, mags, and accessories but IMHO worth the cost.

For a better idea of the accuracy differences between the Keltec and Walther PPS, see the link below.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/121924-walther_pps_vs_keltec_pf9_at_the_range.html#post1490153

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Take a look at the M&P compact or Kel Tec P11/PF9. Best advice is to try everything you can get your hands on and decide from there. Especially in sub compacts, the feel of the grip and being able to get a "combat grip" on the gun is pretty important since you'll most likely have to crank off shots quickly off the draw.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    If you're still looking at 9mm compacts, don't overlook the Taurus24/7 cds. some say the trigger pull is too long, but I have no problems going back and forth from my Xd9 sc to my wifes 24/7 cds 9mm. (I like em both! :):) and they are both double stack compacts! The Taurus feels somewhat lighter, but otherwise there is very little difference.

Agreed...I cary a 24/7 compact 9mm and have never had any troubles at the range with FTF. I'm a OC'er about 75% of the time, but when I CC it is a comfortable hide. It was a little picky about some talon ammo not wanting to feed when manually cycling, but cycled fine when firing. It gobbled standard FMJ rounds like I do Chick-Fil-A nuggets.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If springfield made an XD the same size as the XD45c then I would be all over it personally. However, the Smith M&P9c is getting my attention a lot and I believe it could be replacing my full size XD9 here soon.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I realize it's very late for me to dive in to this but my thoughts would be you must handle as many weapons as you can and shoot them when you like something. Everyone has different taste in feel and style. I personally love Smith's M&P 9c (which I own), Taurus 709 slim (which I own) and Ruger's sr 9c (which I don't own yet).

Best of luck to you (you may have already purchased something - I didn't read through the entire thread - lazy).

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have a 4" XD9, their "compact" size that I love shooting, they also make a subcompact size that I have heard if great as well. But look around shoot anything you can get ur hands on. Im on the west side but am going to Pops on the eastside soon to shoot. Send me a pm if you wanna try it out.

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    Geez. We're not very helpful here. We've pretty much recommended every possible compact 9mm on the market. However, that also means that you're going to be harder pressed to make a bad choice than a good one.

My 2 cents: anything from a major, respected, manufacturer and it will do its intended job just fine. Me personally, I carry an HK USP Compact 9mm regularly and have always enjoyed doing so. However, I also have experience with XD sub compacts and enjoyed that too. The HK just feels better to me, and has sentimental value, so I parted ways with the XD.

Goodluck!

Top Bottom