• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    I'm new to guns... Will be getting my first, Glock 17, next week or the week after. I also wanna get a 22LR gun for practice on the cheap. I read good things about Ruger MKIII and Browning Buckmark, but these guns look huge. I would want something that looks and feels like a regular handgun. Would appreciate any recommendations.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, you could look at the SIG Mostquito, the Walther P22, or maybe the Ruger SR22. These are more like the semi-auto pistols that one would carry for personal protection.

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    Well, you could look at the SIG Mostquito, the Walther P22, or maybe the Ruger SR22. These are more like the semi-auto pistols that one would carry for personal protection.
    Thanks, but as I understand, the Mosquito is a bit pricey and problematic, and Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22 look more like toys than real guns. Or did I get that wrong? Just looking at it online S&W M&P22 looks pretty good, but I can't find any critical reviews on it.

Also, I know there is great magazine loader for the MarkIII or Buckmark that loads them in a few seconds. Is there something similar for M&P, P22, or SR22?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've shot most of the new 22 autos out there. I really like the Walther P22 and Sig P220 22. The Mosquito was very problematic for me and the Sig 1911 22 (GSG) is probably bigger than you want, but it is good also.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Would have to agree with everyone else...
    Walther P22
    Ruger SR22
    Sig Mosquito

GSG if you want a 1911 platform
    Ruger Mark Series
    Buckmark

All are good shooters in my opinion, the Ruger Mark and Brownings are good if you like to tinker...upgraded internals, different barrels, etc.

All the rest will shoot well for what you want...:D

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Your best bet may be to go around to some different gun shops and handle some of the 22 guns you're thinking of buying. If you find the one you for sure want,ask around to see if anyone has one you can shoot before you buy. While the advice of fellow INGO members is always a good start, you are the one who will be buying/shooting the gun. Take your time and do your research.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    And don't forget about the 1500 this weekend as a great way to check out most of the guns you are looking at all in one place. Whether you buy it there or not is another story but at least you get to see a nice variety.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I've been looking in the same category myself. Went to my local shop and he put half a dozen models in my hands. Sorry I didn't pay really close attention to models. The one that stood out in my mind was a .22 1911. It fit great in my hand, good balance, nice sights. If I would have had the @ $350 with me I would have taken it home.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I'm new to guns... Will be getting my first, Glock 17, next week or the week after. I also wanna get a 22LR gun for practice on the cheap. I read good things about Ruger MKIII and Browning Buckmark, but these guns look huge. I would want something that looks and feels like a regular handgun. Would appreciate any recommendations.

You can get either a Mark III / 22/45 or a Buckmark with a 4-5.5" barrel that would be smaller than your G17.

That being said, if you want a 22 for some plinking, I would probably recommend either a Ruger SR22 or a Ruger SP101 22.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The Ruger Mark III may look big but I bet you will be surprised how well it fits in your hand. Just hold one, you'll like it. I just bought one last weekend after shooting someone else's at the range. I'm fairly new to shooting but I was impressed with how well I shot with it.

I have a Ruger SP101 in a 357, it's a nice sized gun and fun to shoot. I didn't know they made it in a 22. Bet that's a lot of fun to shoot too.

Here's a pic of the two together so you get get an idea of the size difference between them.

0311122034.jpg

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    The buckmark (my favorite 22lr handgun) and the ruger mark have short barrel options that can bring the size down a bit.

The mosquito is the only sig I would not recommend.

Str8himalaya

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    In my personal opinion, I would be careful with the Mark III. They are beautiful and a great shooting gun. I shoot bullseye, and they do shoot well, BUT, they are a real PITA to break down if I remember right. I have shot the S&W you speak of as well, and it is a pretty nice little gun. It does need a little trigger work, but at entry level, its pretty nice. I personally want a buckmark or a sig trailside. Buckmark is the way to go, and there was a REAL nice one at the 1500 for 315 out the door...now if I just had the extra cash.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I have a ruger mark iii 22/45 with a 4.5" barrel. It isn't as big as you may think. I absolutely love the gun, and although some say it is a pain to break down...it takes me less than a minute to break it down, and another minute to reassemble.

I shot a P22, and that thing was tiny (for my hands). Shot well, and I really liked it, i just could not get over the size.

I would go check out the Rugers and Buckmarks before you dismiss them for their size.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    They look big...but they shoot great.
    And that mag loader you mentioned...it's amazing man. I recommend getting one of the pistols it works for. That's my main basis for recommending a .22 for the range these days. It load mags up so fast, you could get by with only 1 mag if you had to. Normally i like 10 mags per gun, but that loader is so great I don't need extras.

I absolutely love my MKIII. My dad has a Walther P22, and while it's fun to shoot, I shoot my Ruger far more accurately. Factor that in with the mag loader and it's a no contest for me.

Another thing I love about the MKIII, the sights don't move while it cycles. You can stay totally on target while rapid firing, that's impossible on a gun where the whole slide cylces.

Whatever you choose, enjoy it buddy. :D

SB2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Morgan County
    I bought a Walther P22 for target practice and to aquatint my lovely wife with firearms in an easy, non-threatening way. I freaking hate that gun. FTF, FTE on any and all ammo other than CCI which as we all know is rather pricey for .22 target shooting. In short, I've sent it back to S&W (twice) and am trying to get them to refund my purchase or give me credit towards another S&W product (it is less than one year old). Love the feel and mechanics of the gun, but don't want to only be able to use one ammo. S&W customer service has verified that this is an issue to which there is no fix for. The guy I spoke with said that he gets this phone call multiple times per week. I do have a friend with an older P22 and he has no issues with it, hence my choice to buy this pistol. That's my .02, and when I get another .22 target pistol it will be a Ruger SR22. I love my Ruger products and the new SR line of pistols are, IMHO, great.

Top Bottom