Recommend me a trail camera under $100 for home use.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I had the flu the last couple of days, so we agreed my wife would generally avoid me and slept in the back bedroom until my fever broke.

At 530 this morning, she saw the back security light on and peeked outside to find 3 large does standing in our back yard. She got me up and we both watched them. They were fixated on something out in the neighboring parking lot. It was more does. Eventually we had 10 large suburban does eating and socializing and play fighting in our backyard. After they eventually left my wife said she wanted a trail camera.

I had budgeted $100 for her christmas, so could someone recommend me a trail camera for around $100 or less that would be effective in a 50x100 backyard?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Menards has some wildgame innovations on clearance currently. .. $69, down from $100. They had some for $49 also but I haven't ran those so I can't vouch for them.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I have never used them, but a good friend has a couple stealth cams that he likes. I got my bushnell for under $100 but I havent seen them on sale since. Check out moultrie also. No experience with them but I have read some decent things about them. You may want to consider battery costs and the cost of an sd card. I recommend two cards. 2GB is enough. That way you can take a fresh card to put in the camera and just swap them out.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I have posted this before on other threads, but Primos Truth Cam 35 is a very nice cam and won't scare game has no flash and works both day and night and less then $100.... Batterys last a long time and I believe you will be very pleased with it and it is prob. one of the easiest to use... They can be found on ebay or amazon.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My friend has a Moultrie that he bought at Big-R for $60-$70 and it takes good photos. You can see what the bucks are sporting. But your wife may want something that will tack better pics or videos of the deer in the back yard. Maybe some of the INGO members in the Indy area can show you some of the pics their trail cams have taken may help you decide what to get the little women?

one more

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I use a Stealthcam G42NG (no glow), as it records in HD video. I got mine for less than $100 with free shipping on sale.

Sample from mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmEGu6T_2uc

This is the one I ordered for my husband for Christmas. He wanted one that had the blacked out IR flash. I priced it on Bass Pro and then found it for significantly less on Amazon with free shipping. I think I paid about $129. 10mp so should be good quality pictures.

I got him two SD cards to go with it and got 32GB cards as they were on sale for the same price as the 4gb and figured they would hold more video, etc.

I see it is currently out of stock on their site, but I'm hoping it will do what we want. He is hoping to use it as a security camera when not using it for watching game.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    The video cameras are ok but they eat up battery's, The one I posted above does video too but I just use the pics mode too save battery's... I have never had good luck with any wild game stuff had a trail camera and a range finder and sent them both back they worked for about two days each then took a poop...

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I got him two SD cards to go with it and got 32GB cards as they were on sale for the same price as the 4gb and figured they would hold more video, etc.

You'll be glad that you got the 32GB cards. I use mine for inventory purposes in the summer and bait it with corn. On video setting, I can fill a 32GB card in no time flat in a situation such as that. I'd recommend that anyone get the biggest cards that their cameras will accept.

I had some trouble with the neighbors recently, so my trail cameras are placed strategically in my yard right now. LOL!

Top Bottom