• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The key is what type of drive/gearbox it has since that seems to be the weak point in every one my father has ever had. Toro has been making them for a LONG time so they must be doing something right. Oh, and stay away from home depot and other box stores, the brand name stuff they sell is nothing more than a fancy sticker on a second rate product. Go to a dealer that the manufacturer lists as a service point and you will get better customer care/service after the sale as well as a first rate product. Personally I just opt for a 4x4 and no plow/shovel/blower, it keeps the neighbors and relatives away for a few months every year.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The only thing I'll add to the above post is make sure you get electric start. Spend the extra money, believe me, it will be worth it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Get a 4 cycle. The two cycle I had was crap.

A young man came by yesterday and a nice set up. He put a blade on a quad. He had driveways done in 3 minutes. And had fun clearing them.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    The only thing I'll add to the above post is make sure you get electric start. Spend the extra money, believe me, it will be worth it.

^^^ this

when its cold the recoil start is a pain to use cause you have to pull it until it warms up. electric start...no problems at all.

I personally don't own a snow blower, but we sell them at the ACE i work at. put tons of em together and delivered a good majority as well.

ACE sells Toro but theyre not too fancy. consumer friendly snowblowers. you won't find any of the tank-like beasts there.

never heard any complaints on the Toros from all the ones we sell though. so maybe worth a look depending on what type your looking for.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Make sure and get a 2 stage, throws more snow, and doesn't get bogged down.... single stage, stink ... :twocents:
    I'll second this. I have lowest priced 2 stage Toro sold some years ago at Lowes. It throws the snow a long way and has plenty of power for the kind of snows we get here in Indiana. Oh yeah, dont try to throw the snow clear into the next county if the chute is facing into a stiff breeze. (for the same reason you dont spit into the wind...thanx Jim Croche) :):

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I'll probably get some flaming here, but I'll say it anyway. Get a Honda. I bought mine of Craigslist, an 8 hp, 28 inch, 2 stage electric start hydrostatic blower. My dad has one that is over 20 years old, 5 hp, 22 inch, 2 stage with the tracks and it has never had a problem. They start easy every time. He lives in a lake-effect area and that blower has gone through snow over the top of the auger and it just pushes on, even in the heavy, wet snow. I had a John Deere for 1.5 winters and sold it after the ongoing issues with keeping it held together. It was made by Simplicity, but the JD engine on it was vibrating it apart.

The used Honda's are a bargain even though they are still expensive. It is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase because it will run forever.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought a Toro Powermax last year and like it. The best part is the quick-stick, a hand control that controls all movements of the chute.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a Craftsman 2-stage. Nice Briggs and Stratton 4-cycle engine with electric or pull start. 24" cut, and 5 forward speeds. Work awesome. I got it on sale a few years ago. Any Sears can get you parts quick and easy if you need them.

My neighbor had a single-stage, small 4-cycle no-name engine, with pull start. He killed it in about a foot of snow a few years ago. Mine finished his driveway for him. :D

So, my advice:
    - 2-stage
    - electric start is nice
    - 4-stroke engine (no need to mix gas and oil)
    - more forward speeds = the correct speed for snow depth and an easy pace
    - ignore the reseller, but get a name-brand engine (Honda, B&S, etc...)
    - the wider the cut, the fewer trips up and down the driveway
    - make sure the blades and such are all metal. Lots of cheap blowers have plastic parts.

Like schafe said, point the chute DOWNWIND!

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'll second this. I have lowest priced 2 stage Toro sold some years ago at Lowes. It throws the snow a long way and has plenty of power for the kind of snows we get here in Indiana. Oh yeah, dont try to throw the snow clear into the next county if the chute is facing into a stiff breeze. (for the same reason you dont spit into the wind...thanx Jim Croche) :):

I'll take the other side of this argument. I own both. Single stage toro and a dual stage MTD. MTD was about $700 and is a hoss. Toro was about $500 and is a stud.

The toro is so much more enjoyable because of the combination of LIGHT WEIGHT and POWER. It throws snow up to 30' and cleans down to the surface. In addition, the chute adjustment is GENIUS. With a simple slide of a lever, the chute moves 180 degrees. The 2 stages machines require you to stop, and then move a worm gear to change direction of where the snow goes. At the quickest, I can move it 180 degrees in 5 seconds. The toro can be moved 180 degrees in a fraction of a second and while you are walking.

The MTD is great for big snows. Who cares, we are in IN. If you get 12"+, then do it twice! The MTD leaves snow on the surface and is a bear to use. You have to take a shower after using it because it's so heavy to maneuver. You take a shower whether you move 1" or 15" of snow.

Hear me out on this - buy a toro 221Q and be done with it. It's a JOY to use. I love using it.

Amazon.com: Toro Power Clear™ 221Q Electric Start 21" Snowthrower: Patio, Lawn & Garden

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have one my dad gave me and this thing has to be 20+ years old. 20", single cylinder 4-stroke, pull start with choke. Starts on the 2-3rd pull no matter the temp. Spits 4" of flame out of the muffler/spark arrestor at night (hence the name Red Dragon ). I have over 100' of concrete drive and I can clear it in less than 10 min with this beast.

Don't discount stopping by a lawn mower repair shop and asking to see the old stuff no one wants. The don't make air-cooled motors like the used to.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have one my dad gave me and this thing has to be 20+ years old. 20", single cylinder 4-stroke, pull start with choke. Starts on the 2-3rd pull no matter the temp. Spits 4" of flame out of the muffler/spark arrestor at night (hence the name Red Dragon ). I have over 100' of concrete drive and I can clear it in less than 10 min with this beast.

Don't discount stopping by a lawn mower repair shop and asking to see the old stuff no one wants. The don't make air-cooled motors like the used to.

It's a toro right? S200, S620, etc...? I just finally got rid of a 25 year old toro that wouldn't quit. Listed it for $100 on CL and it was gone that night.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have an Ariens 28inch track drive unit with heated hand grips and snow cab. 6 forward speeds, 2 reverse, can tilt the tracks to dig into the ice/snow, raise the front of unit up about 2-3 inches to use on ramp onto a truck or what ever. downside... harder to turn on dry ground. it has elec start as well, but is east enough to start by pulling the old fashioned way.

mine was a little more pricey then the toro's and what not from hd or lowes, but i believe its worth it. its also made in the usa (for anyone that has that as a selling point), has a full metal discharge chute instead of the plastic.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I don't recommend a snow blower, but I would recommend my snow thrower.....She's about 5'2'' and man, she can throw some snow!!! book her now, cuz she gets booked up really quickly, especially in my neighborhood. there is a small fee, paid to me for her use!!!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I bought an Arien's off e-bay 3 years ago. I paid $100 bucks for it. I haven't lifted a snow shovel since.

2 stage, 7 horse power, 5 forward speeds and reverse. Electric start. Chains. I can throw my snow all the way over to my neighbor's drive. :whistle:

:):

12211k2_27.jpeg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I bought an Arien's off e-bay 3 years ago. I paid $100 bucks for it. I haven't lifted a snow shovel since.

2 stage, 7 horse power, 5 forward speeds and reverse. Electric start. Chains. I can throw my snow all the way over to my neighbor's drive. :whistle:

:):

12211k2_27.jpeg
    real snow blowers dont need chains :): i follow in my snow blowers tracks to my neighbors house to dig them out:)
    on a serious note, looks like you got a hella good deal on that!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    real snow blowers dont need chains :): i follow in my snow blowers tracks to my neighbors house to dig them out:)
    on a serious note, looks like you got a hella good deal on that!
    It only needs the chains in 5th gear. ;) I'm still trying to figure out why the hell anyone would want to run behind a snow blower. :):

Right now I only have $33.33 a year in it. I figure if it lasts me 4 or 5 more years...and I don't see why it wouldn't last longer...I'll buy another one off e-bay in July when the prices are cheap.

:)

Lowe's has had some nice Toros for $550-$750...but it would kill me to pay that. I'm a cheap SOB. :):

Top Bottom