• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The larger bore rifles I own are for dangerous game so the scopes tend to be low power and don't require crawling up on them. The 375/338 Browning BAR has a 1X4 variable and the 9.3X74R has a 2X7 variable...both have plenty of eye relief. On my .308 the scope is focused properly and it has never bit me either. So no, I have never had a scope bite me despite shooting large and medium bore rifles.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have never been bit by my 7mm Remington Magnum, but I shot a buddies 300 WSM that he had the scope moved back too close and had flip up covers on, and the cover grazed the bridge of my nose. Only happened once. Same thing happened to him before he moved it up.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I was at a local range trying to X ring the "great white buffalo" with my Ruger MkII 300 win mag, after a couple hours of trap with hot reloaded 12ga, I was too relaxed/tenderized and got slammed by my leupold. I had to get 2 stiches on the right corner of my eye. I was given so much crap from the local members that I never went back. Later I noticed I had flesh hanging off of my scope dope insert.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    you always would know when it was deer season a buddy of mine(that drank to much) would have a half moon above his right eye....:laugh:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    yup, first time I shot my .300 win mag the scope caught me a little bit.

Doesn't happen anymore though, I've gone with a scope that has more eye relief and I also invested in a muzzle brake.

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Happened to me years ago.
    Buddy of mine had a 444 Marlin that I just had to shoot.
    And I did,,,,,, One time.
    Eye swelled shut and that ended my day lol
    Years later we were talking about it and he told me the next time he shot it the scope was WAY off zero.
    Live and learn

Just remember:
    There are those that have and those who will :)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The closest I've ever come was just feeling it. I remember thinking to be more careful/mindful and it never happened again. No blood, not sore or anything.

OTHO, the worst I've seen was LOTS of blood. Scoped 45-70 TC pistol. It has about 14" eye-relief, but the newbie shooter that was "trying it out" didn't have any clue on how to use a scope. Kept getting his eye closer and closer, at which time the owner of the gun said don't shoot it like that, you have to keep your eye back away from the scope, where you see the nice, clear picture. The shooter then fired it and blood was literally gushing out of his open wound, it was pretty graphic.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Guilty here. sighting in scope on Remington 870 .12 ga for deer season. 20" fully rifled bbl, shooting rem. core locked sabots. 385 gr, 1900 fps. them little bugers are kickers. twice in a row, useing a rest to shoot, scope got me. no blood but decent bump. needless to say i free hand shot the rest ot the time, no more rest. LOL

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I did it once many years ago. was it my 416 Rigby, 375H&H, or perhaps my 3" 12GA. Nope - it was with a 6mmRem bolt gun! :rolleyes: Get careless with anything I guess...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    I let a buddy shoot my TC .50 muzzleloader and it had a Nikon on it...it had 250 gr. bullet and 150 gr. of powder and i told him it kicks pretty good "watch that scope"....he got kicked right on the forehead, a nice little circle

Top Bottom