Really starting to dig into getting rid of cable.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AntennaWeb - Home is also a good utility for choosing the right antenna.

We cut the cord years ago and never looked back. Between OTA and Netflix we have all we "need".

Do we "want" things like HBO and Military Channel? Sure. But not shelling out $1200+/yr is worth it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Dish isnt completely out of the question right now, it just depends if TW wants to play ball or not.

I'll have my ducks in a row when I call them back, and I'll be ready to cancel and have a plan in place if need be.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I cut the cable 2 years ago and really don't miss it. I am in the belly of the beast on the east side of Indy and use a Mohu Leaf indoor HD antenna with very good results. All the locals and some PBS stations too. I know that Vigo Co is not Marion Co so your results would be different. All I really watch is the news in the morning and the evening and football every once in a while but they come in with a very strong signal. It is amazing how much can be accomplished when the boob tube is not on.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    We got rid of cable about a year ago. I hardly ever watched TV so I was fine with it. We got a couple of antennas and get about 25 channels. We are saving $90 per month, minus the $8 per month I spend on Netflix. I only wish we had done it sooner!

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've got and have had Dish since the 90's and have no real complaints. Their selection and equipment are good and the service has always been really good. I'd recommend Dish over DirectTV any day of the week.

I agree.

I also have Dish and I am very pleased with it.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I cut the cable 2 years ago and really don't miss it. I am in the belly of the beast on the east side of Indy and use a Mohu Leaf indoor HD antenna with very good results. All the locals and some PBS stations too. I know that Vigo Co is not Marion Co so your results would be different. All I really watch is the news in the morning and the evening and football every once in a while but they come in with a very strong signal. It is amazing how much can be accomplished when the boob tube is not on.

Not to mention that OTA HD television BLOWS the doors off HD cable and HD dishes.

NFL on OTA Channel 4 was incredible

SO glad CBS moved to Channel 4....MUCH better footprint, much better reception.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I got rid of cable years ago, had local channels for a while, but got rid of them too. I use YouTube if I want to watch a documentary or research for a project, music etc. Its been really nice saving all the money from cable bills, electricity costs, plus more time to get things done and enjoy life.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not to mention that OTA HD television BLOWS the doors off HD cable and HD dishes.

NFL on OTA Channel 4 was incredible

SO glad CBS moved to Channel 4....MUCH better footprint, much better reception.

THIS.

DirecTv had really compressed there feeds to point of annoyance before I dropped them. To be fair, Netflix has it's own issues...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't watch tv it is just a propaganda machine. I do get Netflix and internet though. Could care less about television since I can just choose to look up what I want.

In before grammar police post!
    I only post the video after the second time I see this egregious mistake.
    Well, OK, since you asked...
    [video=youtube;om7O0MFkmpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/video]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Do you have aluminium siding? An indoor antenna won't work well with that. It's like having a tinfoil hat on. Outdoor is best under all circumstances.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    April 6, 2015 is the cut off date on our satellite at which time we'll go to a small antenna until I can find a suitable tower for the larger antenna we picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago. DTV is already starting to sweeten the pot probably because they are seeing a trend of people cancelling once their contracts expire. I'm dreading the BS I'll have to deal with when I call to turn it off but they really don't have ANYTHING enticing enough to make me want to keep it any longer.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Astraweb has an unlimited usenet special for $7.50/month right now. Add in some free software like sabnzbd and sickbeard and you've got a stew going! Just throwing that out there. ;)

Of course, I just use it for chatting and downloading open source linux ISO's.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    We got rid of cable in 1973. Antenna ever since. CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX are always available on airwaves. I saved over $37,000 and my mind isn't fried! Since I started INGO I don't even watch TV anymore.

Dale1320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Brownsburg
    We ditched Scamcast a few months ago after getting fed up with constant price increases accompanied by steadily decreasing service quality. The neighborhood we live in doesn't allow outdoor antennas so we opted for an indoor antenna from RCA. It picks up almost 30 channels in this vinyl village, which is more than enough for us.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have the DVR+ from channel master. It was a bit buggy, but no monthly fee. I paid more to save in the long term and now... Nuts. When we get the outbuilding I'll probably hook it up there.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Ok, I get the "cut the TV cable" but who is everyone using as their internet provider? Streaming video takes a reasonably fast net service, so who is using who?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Ok, I get the "cut the TV cable" but who is everyone using as their internet provider? Streaming video takes a reasonably fast net service, so who is using who?

No it doesn't. I have really bad DSL and three devices...buy a good device (Roku 3) and they buffer up pretty quick.

Here's my speed test at 9:30Pm on a Friday night.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom