• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Mods: I put this here instead of Break Room since it has the potential to go south according to Break Room standards. Figured this was a safer place to let it play out as it might instead of constraining it to

Ethics. How Does Real Estate Rank?
    A recent Gallup Poll on the trustworthiness of various professionals shows real estate agents in the middle of the occupations cited – 10th out of the top 20. Real estate professionals fared well below doctors and teachers but still above members of Congress and lawyers. Here is how the occupations rated when consumers were asked which professions had “high” or “very high” ethical standards.

1. Pharmacists
    2. Medical doctors
    3. High school teachers
    4. Police officers
    5. Clergy
    6. Funeral directors
    7. Accountants
    8. Building contractors
    9. Journalists :eek:
    10. Real estate agent
    11. Bankers
    12. Lawyers
    13. Business executives
    14. Labor union leaders
    15. Stockbrokers
    16. Advertising executives
    17. Telemarketers
    18. Car salespeople
    19. Lobbyists
    20. Members of Congress

Discuss.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Got a link to the actual poll? I have a feeling this is a "forced ranking" of 20 named professions. Just because a job is in the top 10, doesn't mean they are trusted. Just that they outranked the vile creatures below them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can't believe Lawyers are not just above congressmen. Also can't believe cops are in the top 10.

Like I said, if it is forced ranking, you could have a list like this:

Rank your preference in foods:
    1) Poop
    2) Feces
    3) A big stinking pile of ****
    4) You MIL's cooking

Even is something is #1, you STILL don't want to eat it!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Got a link to the actual poll? I have a feeling this is a "forced ranking" of 20 named professions. Just because a job is in the top 10, doesn't mean they are trusted. Just that they outranked the vile creatures below them.

If you meant that people were asked to rank each of the 20 professions in order of trustiworthiness relative to each other, you'd be incorrect.

In fact, the verbiage in the OP said as much:
    Here is how the occupations rated when consumers were asked which professions had “high” or “very high” ethical standards.

Each respondent ranked each profession independently on a scale. Gallup merely counted the total number of "high" or "very high" responses, and then ordered the professions accordingly. Well, that's the simplified version. They use a percentage, which indicates a couple of other details about the poll internals, but nothing that changed raw data.

I had to google since the original wasn't supplied to me. I am not confident this is the exact one, but I think it is. Honesty/Ethics in Professions

In finding the original, it seems the info I was given is incorrect. Nurses aren't even on the list I was given, [STRIKE]and bankers are removed as well.[/STRIKE] Correction, the list supplied to me transposed Realtors and bankers. This was supplied in a weekly email from the local Realtor board. (You can be sure I will be contacting them for their lack of trustworthiness in conveying information. :D) However, the relative positions of the remaining professions seem to have stayed where they were, except bankers and real estate agents, of course. :rofl:

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I can't believe that doctors, cops, or teachers made the top 50, much less the top 5.... I think the poll smells. I bet it is a forced choice poll, like was suggested above.

Also, yeah... the entire bottom 10 are highly suspect.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I can't believe that doctors, cops, or teachers made the top 50, much less the top 5.... I think the poll smells. I bet it is a forced choice poll, like was suggested above.

Also, yeah... the entire bottom 10 are highly suspect.

You didn't read the post above yours or the link, did you?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Does this make it easier for you guys to understand?

0p4bqmhsx0kgv_rvgndttq.gif

I'd have to rate INGO's collective critical thinking skills n the low/very low category if this thread is any indication. :):

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In my experience...the labor union leaders, business executives, and lawyers should be tied for last place. The high school teacher ranking seems a little high too.

Top Bottom