• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picknshoot76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Bourbon
    So, I have decided to go for it and build my own rifle. I'm really kind of curious about the BCI Defense lower. Why? Well, it would be kind of cool to have a lower from a local manufacturer. Anybody have any reviews? Pros/cons?

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Wondering about these too, maybe someone in Michiana area will pick one up and let us know how it compares to other brands. Price seems kind of high but i'd pick up at least one if I didn't already have a few on order elsewhere.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I can tell you from experience that I bought local and lost. It was not the brand you speak of but Delaware machinery made here in IN. The takedown pin ears were misaligned with the rest of the lower. I had to file down one ear to get the lower to fit and actually accept a mag.
    Now that I did the filing the AR does seem to function ok. Ran about 100 rounds though it with no probs.

If I had to do it over again I would probably buy from a more known company. There are lemons in every bunch I would guess. I was just the unlucky one.

I might post some pics if anyone is interested.:ar15:

JB04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    BCI Defense

This is JB Brown president from BCI Defense. There are companies out there that do produce products with issues. We here at BCID are very proud of our craftsmanship and quality process. We have been manufacturing since 1939 to some large companies in the world. We are a ISO facility that is monitored through a six sigma process.

True that we are new to the firearms industry but we have been making other products for many years.

We have a lifetime warranty on our product. We take great pride in our product, that is why we even took the packaging to the next level. We here at BCID know you will be very proud to own a Indiana product that is held to a high quality standard. Thank you, JB

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Thanks for taking the time to come here and post. I will certainly be watching for additional products and may take the opportunity to pick up a lower, as I do like the idea of a product made just up the road.

This is JB Brown president from BCI Defense. There are companies out there that do produce products with issues. We here at BCID are very proud of our craftsmanship and quality process. We have been manufacturing since 1939 to some large companies in the world. We are a ISO facility that is monitored through a six sigma process.

True that we are new to the firearms industry but we have been making other products for many years.

We have a lifetime warranty on our product. We take great pride in our product, that is why we even took the packaging to the next level. We here at BCID know you will be very proud to own a Indiana product that is held to a high quality standard. Thank you, JB

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Picked one up Friday. Looks to be very well made. No rough edges and everything looks intentional. Will post pictures tomorrow sometime.

Paid a little more for it, but seems to be high quality and I am supporting the local economy. Really local... I drive by their foundry everyday.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Finally got the pictures together... Before anyone asks how I got serial number BCI00000, it's a little Photoshop magic so my serial number is not plastered all over the Interwebz!

Front view

picture.php

Back view

picture.php

Top view

picture.php

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I am researching lower parts kits now to determine what I want to put in it. The Daniels Defense looks pretty good from what I am seeing so far. I may get that ordered this week if I can find one in stock.

The Dayton Hamfest (Amateur Radio swapmeet - largest in US) is in a couple weeks. If I have anything left after that trip, I will get the upper parts ordered.

This will be my first AR build from parts, so I'm pretty excited and liking the local parts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I can tell you from experience that I bought local and lost. It was not the brand you speak of but Delaware machinery made here in IN. The takedown pin ears were misaligned with the rest of the lower. I had to file down one ear to get the lower to fit and actually accept a mag.
    Now that I did the filing the AR does seem to function ok. Ran about 100 rounds though it with no probs.

If I had to do it over again I would probably buy from a more known company. There are lemons in every bunch I would guess. I was just the unlucky one.

If you paid what I imagine you paid for that Delaware Machinery lower, then I wouldn't say you "lost". Even though it took some "field-fitting" that it shouldn't have needed, you admitted it seems to work fine now.

I have 6 of the Delaware Machinery lowers, from several different runs. I've had an issue with one upper not wanting to fit. I had to take the corner off of the rear take-down lug on the upper (about 1/32") and I had to take the anodizing off of the roll on the rear of the upper to get the rear take-down pin to seat fully.
    Pin alignment was not an issue on any of them.

Are you sure it was your lower, and not the upper that was off? How could you tell which one it was?

I only paid $65 for the most expensive DM lower I purchased.
    Since they all work, and considering the price of some other brands now, I'm MORE than satisfied with my Indiana home-grown AR lowers!:patriot:

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I am researching lower parts kits now to determine what I want to put in it. The Daniels Defense looks pretty good from what I am seeing so far. I may get that ordered this week if I can find one in stock.

The Dayton Hamfest (Amateur Radio swapmeet - largest in US) is in a couple weeks. If I have anything left after that trip, I will get the upper parts ordered.

This will be my first AR build from parts, so I'm pretty excited and liking the local parts.

Nice - keep us posted. My son and I just assembled our first together last weekend, nothing special, an Rguns lower and Rock River LPK. Went together pretty easily, though I did manage to put a little scratch on the lower during the bolt catch roll pin install, despite taping it all up. Figured it would be a "practice" run for putting together a rifle for myself and each of my kids. A lower from a local manufacturer would be kind of cool for that.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    Thanks Navy Vet for the pictures and information. I used Spikes Tactical parts in my last lower. If you havent, check out AimSurplus for AR parts. They offer free shipping on a lot of them.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Finally got the pictures together... Before anyone asks how I got serial number BCI00000, it's a little Photoshop magic so my serial number is not plastered all over the Interwebz!

Front view

picture.php

Back view

picture.php

Top view

picture.php

Ive never really understood why some people are so paranoid about their serial numbers being "on the net". Its not your social security number so why the paranoia? :dunno:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ive never really understood why some people are so paranoid about their serial numbers being "on the net". Its not your social security number so why the paranoia? :dunno:
    Since there's no registry [yet] what keeps them from reporting it stolen?

They see your serial, call the police, report the gun stolen... You better hope you have solid records showing your ownership or you're going to find yourself in court defending that it's yours or possibly facing charges for possession of stolen property.

Is it likely? I don't know - but it's possible.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    This is the primary reason... If someone reports it stolen, the burden of proof immediately shifts to me. I know I can prove it is mine (I have receipts and all) but this way I don't have to bother.

Since the real serial number added nothing to the post, but posting it could create an issue for me later, I decided to take the 30 seconds needed to 'fix it'. I already had Photoshop open to resize the photos for upload to the site anyway.
    :tinfoil:
    I don't tend to be a tin-foil hat kind of person, but I do try to take reasonable steps to mitigate the risk associated with posting personal types of information on the internet for the world to see. I felt the effort was an appropriate balance between crawling back in my bunker and interacting with society (or at least INGO).

They see your serial, call the police, report the gun stolen... You better hope you have solid records showing your ownership or you're going to find yourself in court defending that it's yours or possibly facing charges for possession of stolen property.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

There is where you are wrong. There is a "registry" assuming you did not buy any given firearm FTF. If it went through a FFL then there is a 4473 with your name on it and the firearms info including serial number AND the very same info is in the FFL's bound book as well....Forever until FFL shuts down and turns bound book into BATFE...... So there is a "registry".

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

I've put 8 DM lowers together and never had an issue. I would like a BCI thoug.

Top Bottom