• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    There is where you are wrong. There is a "registry" assuming you did not buy any given firearm FTF.
    If it was purchased FTF then I would have a bill of sale - but still, puts me in the position of proving it's mine. I'd rather not go on the defensive unnecessarily - I'd rather avoid the issue.

Same thing as if I'm walking down the street and I see a bad situation approaching [i.e. a situation where I may need to defend my life]... I would do everything within my power to avoid such a situation but that doesn't mean I would hesitate to defend my life if I had to... Avoidance is always best.

Now assuming I did get it at a dealer - that's not a 'registry' either, but it does provide a paper-trail that I'm not responsible for. If I bought it FTF all I would have is my bill of sale and the person I bought it from as my evidence. If I did buy it at an FFL then, as long as they're doing what they're supposed to, then they should have records that I got it from them even if I lost my receipt.

That said - in either situation, it puts me in the position of defending my ownership of said firearm which I would rather not do. Maybe you like going to court - I prefer to avoid it.

If it went through a FFL then there is a 4473 with your name on it and the firearms info including serial number AND the very same info is in the FFL's bound book as well....Forever until FFL shuts down and turns bound book into BATFE...... So there is a "registry".
    It's not any more a registry than my bills of sale - the difference is that the Government keeps tabs on FFLs.

Top Bottom