• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    My daughter is about 5 1/2, and learning her 4 rules. I've told her as soon as she can say them by memory we will get her a gun. She wants to help keep the squirrels out of her great-aunt's garden. I'm thinking a Rascal or a Cricket. Anyone have any experience with these? Pros and cons of each? I'm open to other options as long as they are pink or purple.
    Thanks

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I don't have any experience with the Rascal but I am a big fan of the Crickett. Its size and weight make it perfect for kids. We also have a 10/22with a youth stock but that was too heavy for my kid. I just ordered a Thompson Center Hotshot which is also a single shot youth sized .22 you might consider.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I vote other......

My son got an AR with a dedicated .22 upper, and a lot of supervision. (shooting from daddy's lap)

If you have land where you can shoot by yourself. Tomatoes make great targets.

My son probably blew up 200 half rotten garden tomatoes his first time out. I can't imaging loading a cricket than many times.

Plus, he can use the AR all his life and adapt it to his needs.

Completely different approach, completely different cost.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I bought a Cricket for my Granddaughters, 6 and 4. They love it. The younger one has a little trouble holding it still, but she really likes to shoot it.

Get some CCI Quiet ammo and they don't even need hearing protection.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rascal all the way. Nothing against the Cricket, its a viable option, but if you handle them back to back I think you'll find the Rascal is a better quality gun. The accu-trigger really sets it above its competition. The action is smoother, the sights seems sturdier, and for the money I'm very impresssed with it.

I played with all of them last year before Christmas, and my son ended up with a blue Rascal.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Savage Cub
    Henry Mini Bolt
    Savage Rascal
    Crickett

In that order and extra space is my perception of the level of quality in the rifles.

There's also a Marlin, can't remember the model, that's not in production anymore that is the equal of the Savage.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    You might want to consider the Rossi youth matched pair. It comes in .22/.410 or .22/20 gauge. You can start them off with the 22 and get a small shotgun for free.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have purchased and distributed no less than a dozen Crickets over the past 4 years.
    They are GREAT training rifles, and the weight and size are perfect for smaller frames.

That said, I think I would also choose the Rossi youth matched pair. When they grow out of the youth size, you can upgrade to a stock with a longer length of pull.
    I have the .22Lr/20 ga. and it is a quality made firearm.

BW- The Marlin version , I believe is called the Papoose.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I got my son a Crickett and he loves it. I was surprised that the action is really smooth and shoots great. I did change the factory sights for 20 bucks to williams fire fiber optic sights which made the world of difference. Either way you go she will be getting her first gun so take joy in that.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My only peeves with the Cricket/Rascal is the stamped metal - looks/feels low-quality. Marlin 15YN is machined. Bought one at GM when they first opened for 89.00 (w/coupon).

ol' poke

Whatever you get, enjoy shootin' with the young'uns! I did, and STILL DO!!!:rockwoot:

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Thanks for all the ideas. I'm not worried about her outgrowing it. She has a younger sister and we're working in more. I'm really looking for the single shot bolt action. Once she grows out of it I'll get her a semi. Thanks

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    She nailed it yesterday at lunch. We went to Gander Mountain. I got her the Rascal for two reasons.
    1. I wanted to give her an immediate reward
    2. There were only two options in pink at Gander Mountain, the Rascal and the Cricket. The Rascal just seemed better built.

Thanks for all the input.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    For my money I like the rascal mostly for the better trigger and seems a bit more solid, particularly the wooden stock ones. My little girl has a pink plastic one though and it holds up just fine.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Good buy DirtDart.
    I like the Rascal over the cricket because the mechanics of a true bolt action will carry on to other larger rifles where as the crickets pull to cock style is awkward and more cumbersome for little ones.

Top Bottom