Rant: Why does the gun grabber dictate use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ever notice this argument, "Why do you need an AK47 for hunting?" The implied notion is that guns are only for hunting and no other purpose (false, we know).

However when it fits, their argument the tone changes, "You don't need a gun to defend yourself! Guns are only made to kill people!" Now the concept of hunting and sport is completely gone.

I thought of this in regards to an article I saw about the Southern Baptist church gun raffle. All the guns I saw pictured were hunting long guns; most had camo prints and were Rem. 870 and the like. But the gun grabber quoted was decrying this because the church was to promote peace and love and these were instruments of violence. Well, the only thing be violated was going to be whitetail or pheasant, I thought to myself.

I guess the best way for them to win an argument is to set up a straw man of a gun owners as being the opposite of what's logically correct. Want to ban normal cap magazines? Paint a portrait of a deer hunter and then ask the gun owners why there's a need to 30 round to kill a deer. Want to ban .50 cal? Paint a portrait of a homeowner protecting her family and then ask why the homeowner needs a "tank killer" round.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't bother trying to argue with them anymore. If they ask me why I need a gun I tell them "to kill anything that needs to be killed". Usually shuts them up and allows me to get on with my day. They expect me to start making excuses of why I own firearms (target shooting, collecting, hunting). Nope, none of those reasons. I own them to kill things. That's what they do. Of course I practice to maintain my skill at killing things, but that's not why I own them. If you don't threaten me, my family, my nation, my friends, or my property you have no reason to fear my firearms.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    As I've been told many times here on INGO when I've raised a similar argument,it's not about logic,it's about control.A lib will do whatever it takes to get things their way.They fail to acknowledge that there are other points of view than their own.Please see this thread because I'm certain that most of the answers there apply here.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-interesting-perception-least-i-think-so.html

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most of my guns have a primary purpose, but they as a whole are multi-purpose. Some are for SD, some for hunting, some for paper, some for collecting. It's annoying to constantly hear, "Guns? Do you hunt? Why else do you need a gun?" or "Guns? It's the police's job to shoot people." or "Do you really think you can stop the gov't with your guns?"

:xmad:

Hey anti's - there's a myriad of uses for guns!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I avoid all this by avoiding liberals. So far it has worked quite well. With my in-law liberals, I just don't get into the conversation.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was raised Catholic so something like that to me is very foreign indeed. Not saying it's bad or anything, just have never seen that before.

I taught hunter safety in at a Catholic Church for several years. Many parishes here in the southern part of the state are a little less genteel.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Ever notice this argument, "Why do you need an AK47 for hunting?" The implied notion is that guns are only for hunting and no other purpose (false, we know).

Because the first step is to divide and conquer. Get the hunters to not care and go after the evil black rifles first. Remember, a big part of the 1968 law was banning small handguns which had "no sporting purpose". Same excuse in the 1994 AWB, "armor piercing" ammunition, etc.

I remember watching a Senator, Chuckie Schumer I think, railing on the Senate floor about how "you don't need an AK-47 to hunt deer, there'd be nothing left". Meanwhile the 7.62x39mm round with a soft point is an excellent woods cartridge.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by JettaKnight
    Ever notice this argument, "Why do you need an AK47 for hunting?"

Reply with "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't bother trying to argue with them anymore. If they ask me why I need a gun I tell them "to kill anything that needs to be killed". Usually shuts them up and allows me to get on with my day. They expect me to start making excuses of why I own firearms (target shooting, collecting, hunting). Nope, none of those reasons. I own them to kill things. That's what they do. Of course I practice to maintain my skill at killing things, but that's not why I own them. If you don't threaten me, my family, my nation, my friends, or my property you have no reason to fear my firearms.
    You could always quote this little bit from "Alice's Restaurant"... ;)

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
    Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
    Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
    KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
    He started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
    Yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
    Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy.""

Top Bottom