RANT?: Fundamentals? This got me thinking!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    BO YAA
    I agree entirely. I have found myself being concerned about the same thing. I use a scope anymore because my eyes aren't what they once were but I've stated on this forum that as a young man in the army 400 yard shots with an m14 or M16 were not at all uncommon.
    Gotta learn the basics before you add optics.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ when I was "in" Boot Camp, USMC, we sighted in our M-16's at the 200 yard line ... then went to 300 yd, and then to 500 yd ..... in the Army, we sighted in at 25 yards, and shot from 50 yd, to 300 yd, and everyone missed the 100, 150, targets... with open sights, of course ... No one could understand why ... well myself, and a couple other guys, started giving "classes" on the flight of a bullet through the air, and the people that understood it, their score went up .....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This thread got me thinking...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/199830-this_is_every_ar15_owner-2.html

This and several other threads recently have me really wondering if we're raising a generation of shooter that are so geared out that they're not using their gear to increase their shooting ability, but rather do most of the shooting for them!

I keep seeing threads about people "reaching out" with their AR's to huge distances like 250 - 300 yards! All the while with a 1-9X scope!? I'm no sniper, but I am a Marine. I'm hitting my target 8/9 outta 10 times with irons at 500 yards. I'm not bustin chops here (or don't mean to be), but I really think you anyone who thinks their AR is their "go to" or "SHTF" gun they should be able to shoot kill shots at 300 yards without batting an eye in several positions, without a scope!

FUNDAMENTALS! I know everyone on the internet is a full blown SERT/ERT/SPECOPS/SOCOM operator, but C'mon, what are a these guys going to do when their 10X scope breaks? Have we lost sight of the fundamentals? Trigger control, natural respiratory pause, sight alignment, sight picture, natural POA...etc.

I say before you spend that $300-$1200 on top of the line optics, spend it on some ammo and training. Not sure the point at all of this post, I suppose I'll put RANT in the title now. Am I the only one seeing this? I guess I just can't keep my mouth shut (fingers still) anymore.

Amen! I for one believe in it's your money and your gun. However, I do not understand why people buy their first AR, and the first thing they do is ask what optic to get, or want to add everything with the word tactical in front of it to their rifle. Get some training, stock up on ammo, and learn to be proficient with iron sights first. If not, and your optic fails, your rifle is useless. My first experience with the M4 was when I was in the service. We only had to qualify at 25 yards max. However, when doing boardings, you where not going to be faced with a 500 meter shot. Everything was close quarter. I did shoot a perfect score every time. My philosophy is keep things simple.

Honestly, the only things I find useful are an optic, (once you become profiecient with iron sights first), sling, and a weapons light. Save all that other crap for the Mall Ninjas. I have seen guys at the range with their fancy new AR's that could not even sight a scope in at 50 yards. I have seen guys hit the overhead baffles at 50 yards using iron sights. The only thing I disagree with is being able to hit a man sized target out to 500 meters. From a civilian aspect. Do the best with what you have. My local range only goes out to 100 yards. I make do with what I have. I could drive farther to other ranges, but not enough to be what I consider to be profecient. I'm sure I have hurt some Mall Ninja's feelings, oh well.

Newg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Westside of Indy.
    Something I've noticed lately is AR15 purchasers have no interest in actually learning to effectively operate the rifle. The trend seems to be to build the most tacticool tricked out rifle you can. Actually being able to use it seems to be an afterthought. These people should spend 600 bucks building a basic rifle and the other 600 they would have spent tricking it out on actually learning to shoot it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Something I've noticed lately is AR15 purchasers have no interest in actually learning to effectively operate the rifle. The trend seems to be to build the most tacticool tricked out rifle you can. Actually being able to use it seems to be an afterthought. These people should spend 600 bucks building a basic rifle and the other 600 they would have spent tricking it out on actually learning to shoot it.

Thats what I did. I built mine for $659 nothing tacticool about it. It is gonna be a KISS rifle. I might add a Aimpoint/EOtech, sling, and fllashlight but thats it

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    There is something to be said for both ways. I was taught to use just plain old iron sights. My favorite thing to do for years was our yearly qualification on pop-up target, 50m-300m. Give me a standard issue AR and let me play. Now I'm getting into the other side of it, the optics. It feels like I'm learning all over again. I'm sure getting used to it will not take long, but there is a lot for me to learn.

Top Bottom