• ...and so much more!
  • spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Here is my rant. Thanks for reading.

My girlfriend's father wants to buy a handgun. He does not know much about them. But, I did take him to the range about 6 months ago and he was a crack shot. Just amazing accuracy. Especially when you consider he hasn't fired a gun in 15 or 20 years.

He wants a 1911 because of the caliber, .45, and the nostalgia of it. Not just the history of it, but also it's personal history in his family. My future father-in-law is Mexican. He grew up down there and has been a legal resident of this country for 20+ years as well as his wife. He speaks passable English but has a heavy accent. That's fine. I speak Spanish. We get along well and respect each others cultures.

He wants a 1911 but the problem is that he doesn't like the limited magazine capacity. I make all kinds of suggestions regarding different pistols, try a Glock, try this, try that, etc. He is unsure. Anyways, he is driving me crazy because whenever I go with him to a gun store, he can never make up his mind. I am finally going to tell him to get a Springfield XD or one of those Stoeger Cougars in 9mm. It will be a good start for him, ease of use, easy to clean, etc. Then, after he is used to that, he can develop an idea of what else he will want to buy. Because, we don't buy just one, usually.

Anyways, he is making me crazy. I would venture to say we are friends, but, more than anything he is the father of my girlfriend. And, being that I want to marry his daughter, I have to keep him happy. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping and going with him. But, make a decision man!!!

Oh yeah, compounding this indecisiveness is his computer illiteracy.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I am longwinded. Believe it or not, I could go on and on about this guy.

:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Heck, I'm like that now LOL.

Since he likes 1911s, buy him a RIA .45 for Christmas, and let him go from there. At least then he'd have a gun he could take shooting with you, and keep daydreaming at the gunstore :)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Have you looked at the Para-Ordnance 1911's? They have double-stacked mags and therefore have higher mag capacity.

holds 14 rounds in the mag: Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

They have a few models, this was just the first on their site. They also have a 9mm that holds 18 in the mag. He could get high capacity and still a 1911 style pistol

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I love my 1911's. Would rather have them than a polymer pistol. Just tell him to buy extra mags and practice mag changes.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Well, while he's trying to make his decision. Go take him to the PD to get his license if he doesn't already have it!!! :)

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    You think he is indecisive, talk to Indecision here and he will trump that :) Have to tease my hon a bit. The computer illiteracy can be infuriating...and he should do as I do, buy one he kind of likes and at least get a start. He can always buy another handgun :)

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    Honestly I would just be happy that you girlfriends father 1. likes you and 2. is not anti gun. My wifes father not only hated me, he hated me more once he found out I carried. Count you blessings and who knows, maybe one of those times hes dragging you to a gun store you might find that deal of a life time ;)

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Yes, fortunately, him and I get along very well. It helps that I speak Spanish and that I am white. We have a mutual respect for each others cultures.

He essentially wants a 1911 because his father was a helluva shot with it back in the old country, killed a couple horse thieves with an old MilSpec back in the 30s or 40s. Therefore, his Dad tells him the 1911 is the best thing since sliced bread and why bother with a "plastic pistol", etc. Also, my girlfriend just informed me that it is part of the Mexican culture. They love the reliability of a steel gun and especially the 1911 because of it's power, accuracy, and how it can be heavily engraved to personally reflect the personality of the person who owns it. Which I get.

I am still working with him. I haven't given up yet. Just frustrated. Yes, he does have a Lifetime LTCH, just no gun. I am going to try to convince him to purchase a gun to get him started. That way he learns more about them. He wants a full-size for CC, because aside from ammo capacity, he has big hands. (He's 6'5. The biggest Mexican I have ever seen!) But, I think once he starts carrying a hog leg that around, he will want a 4inch or 3 inch barrel of something.

I keep plugging away. Like Rollo said, it could be worse, he could hate me and guns. Luckily, that is not the case.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    Yes, fortunately, him and I get along very well. It helps that I speak Spanish and that I am white. We have a mutual respect for each others cultures.

He essentially wants a 1911 because his father was a helluva shot with it back in the old country, killed a couple horse thieves with an old MilSpec back in the 30s or 40s. Therefore, his Dad tells him the 1911 is the best thing since sliced bread and why bother with a "plastic pistol", etc. Also, my girlfriend just informed me that it is part of the Mexican culture. They love the reliability of a steel gun and especially the 1911 because of it's power, accuracy, and how it can be heavily engraved to personally reflect the personality of the person who owns it. Which I get.

I am still working with him. I haven't given up yet. Just frustrated. Yes, he does have a Lifetime LTCH, just no gun. I am going to try to convince him to purchase a gun to get him started. That way he learns more about them. He wants a full-size for CC, because aside from ammo capacity, he has big hands. (He's 6'5. The biggest Mexican I have ever seen!) But, I think once he starts carrying a hog leg that around, he will want a 4inch or 3 inch barrel of something.

I keep plugging away. Like Rollo said, it could be worse, he could hate me and guns. Luckily, that is not the case.

Haha, consider your self lucky. My wifes father hated me because I'm black (She's white) Anyway, back to guns. If he wants a 1911 and you think he may soon want to switch to something small check out the Rock Islands Arms 1911's. They are quality guns and wont break the bank. So then when he turns around and wants something smaller he wont have spent a fortune on his 1911.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    perhaps he just likes your company and what better way to spend time than in a gun shop( ok shooting tops that)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am not sure of any double stack 1911's that have great reputations. I looked low and high for a high capacity 45 and decided if I wanted 14+1 or 15+1 I would get an FNP-45 (plastic), then ran into the CZ-97B for a price I could not pass up, which is a steel pistol that holds 10+1 and has a good reputation and seems very well built. You can carry it cocked and locked but it does not have the grip safety of the 1911 (I have a few of those also). I plan on getting to Eagle Creek with it soon but hear they are pretty solid shooters. You might show him one of these. The only complaint I have hear are that they have a long grip so If he has small hands that may be a problem.

BTW, the 1911 single stack is very easy to carry since it is slim.

cz97b.jpg

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    If he's budget-minded, I vote Rock Island also. IIRC, RIA does make a double-stack, although I might question its reliability vs. a Para.

Otherwise, look for a better 1911 in the used market. That said, look at used guns all the way, so he's getting a better deal, and isn't discouraged by common 1911 break-in issues.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I had Rock Islands and got rid of them. Bought a Para and recently aquired a Springfield. Both are 5", and i carry either one daily, but im little bigger than the normal guy and dont mind the bigger pistol. I wouldnt mind having a 4", but 5" isnt that bad either.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    I had Rock Islands and got rid of them. Bought a Para and recently aquired a Springfield. Both are 5", and i carry either one daily, but im little bigger than the normal guy and dont mind the bigger pistol. I wouldnt mind having a 4", but 5" isnt that bad either.

Just out of curiosity why did you get rid of the RIA's? I have been thinking about picking one up as my "tweaking" 1911 and have read fairly good reviews but always like to hear from those that have actually owned the weapon. And those that don't have to make their advertisers happy ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom