• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just out of curiosity why did you get rid of the RIA's? I have been thinking about picking one up as my "tweaking" 1911 and have read fairly good reviews but always like to hear from those that have actually owned the weapon. And those that don't have to make their advertisers happy ;)

Can't speak for him, but Cathy is very happy with hers. 500 rounds through it, and it's been very reliable with everything but Blazer aluminum. That made it stutter twice in 50 rounds. Everything else, whether JHP or ball, has worked beautifully. It's quite accurate, too boot. As Cathy keeps fondling my XD9sc, though, she keeps remembering how much she liked her XD9 Tactical and is talking about drinking the XD Koolaide. The fact that my little gun is a much lighter and easier carrying gun is weighing on her mind, also. My best friend has had similar experience with his, as has my step-father. Both also have about 500 rounds through theirs last I heard. Once I got rid of a couple crap magazines, mine worked wonderfully also, though I didn't put a whole bunch through it before I traded it. Except for the fact that it didn't like Blazer aluminum, either. All in all, I still think they are one of the best dollar for dollar values you can get in a gun.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Just out of curiosity why did you get rid of the RIA's? I have been thinking about picking one up as my "tweaking" 1911 and have read fairly good reviews but always like to hear from those that have actually owned the weapon. And those that don't have to make their advertisers happy ;)

Nothing with them, at least the two i had. Just the past couple years i've been at a more calmer point in my career and started collecting more. Bought those because they were cheaper. They shot just fine, but i wanted a more namebrand collection. Call me stupid, but im a namebrand guy in most stuff. If you want one i'd say buy one. They can be had in the $350 range nib.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    Can't speak for him, but Cathy is very happy with hers. 500 rounds through it, and it's been very reliable with everything but Blazer aluminum. That made it stutter twice in 50 rounds. Everything else, whether JHP or ball, has worked beautifully. It's quite accurate, too boot. As Cathy keeps fondling my XD9sc, though, she keeps remembering how much she liked her XD9 Tactical and is talking about drinking the XD Koolaide. The fact that my little gun is a much lighter and easier carrying gun is weighing on her mind, also. My best friend has had similar experience with his, as has my step-father. Both also have about 500 rounds through theirs last I heard. Once I got rid of a couple crap magazines, mine worked wonderfully also, though I didn't put a whole bunch through it before I traded it. Except for the fact that it didn't like Blazer aluminum, either. All in all, I still think they are one of the best dollar for dollar values you can get in a gun.

Thanks for the info. I lasted about a week carrying a full size 1911 haha. Even with a quality belt I still felt like my pants were going to fall down. I wish they made a compact 9mm version. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, fortunately, him and I get along very well. It helps that I speak Spanish and that I am white. We have a mutual respect for each others cultures.

He essentially wants a 1911 because his father was a helluva shot with it back in the old country, killed a couple horse thieves with an old MilSpec back in the 30s or 40s. Therefore, his Dad tells him the 1911 is the best thing since sliced bread and why bother with a "plastic pistol", etc. Also, my girlfriend just informed me that it is part of the Mexican culture. They love the reliability of a steel gun and especially the 1911 because of it's power, accuracy, and how it can be heavily engraved to personally reflect the personality of the person who owns it. Which I get.

I am still working with him. I haven't given up yet. Just frustrated. Yes, he does have a Lifetime LTCH, just no gun. I am going to try to convince him to purchase a gun to get him started. That way he learns more about them. He wants a full-size for CC, because aside from ammo capacity, he has big hands. (He's 6'5. The biggest Mexican I have ever seen!) But, I think once he starts carrying a hog leg that around, he will want a 4inch or 3 inch barrel of something.

I keep plugging away. Like Rollo said, it could be worse, he could hate me and guns. Luckily, that is not the case.

You know, I'm just sorry I didn't meet his daughter first (are there sisters?). Seriously, those are awesome reasons to like 1911s and he and his family sound like good folk. If he's still kicking, I'd like to meet his father too.

Stop giving him options, the full size 1911 is obviously the best gun for him and capacity be damned. Tell him with the way he shoots, he doesn't need a hi-cap gun. Done and done.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    Thanks for the info. I lasted about a week carrying a full size 1911 haha. Even with a quality belt I still felt like my pants were going to fall down. I wish they made a compact 9mm version. I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

They do make a compact .45 version. The RIA CS. I have the High Standard Crusader version (same pistol from the same plant, just a different name stamped on it) and love it. It is light, accurate and much more comfortable to shoot than you would expect. 400 rounds through it without a hiccup.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Haha, consider your self lucky. My wifes father hated me because I'm black (She's white) Anyway, back to guns. If he wants a 1911 and you think he may soon want to switch to something small check out the Rock Islands Arms 1911's. They are quality guns and wont break the bank. So then when he turns around and wants something smaller he wont have spent a fortune on his 1911.

Yep, I know that feeling. Being a white dude and involved with a Mexican girl is more problematic than one might think. But, only in the US. The Mexican-Americans do not like white guys dating Mexican girls.

I went to school in Mexico for a while and I was treated like a king because I am white. Seriously, if you ever get divorced, go to Mexico. Mexicans aren't racist and they love white and black people because they have very few. You can have your pick of hot young Mexican babes that know how to cook and clean. It's sexist but true. They do discriminate by way of social classes though, which was a bit weird.

Yep, I am still shopping around for her father. Just dropped by Cabela's and got some other ideas for her father. The problem is that whenever I go look for a pistol for him, I buy stuff. I don't need bore foam or cleaning brushes, or tactical shooter gloves. But, I just bought all that. Why? My guns are clean.

Damn.

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Or..., just go Glock..., all the way

Just an idea..., get the gentleman a G17 (new or used), with say..., 200 rounds of the cheapest 9mm ammo you can find..., add that with a 33 round mag (see Natches) and take him to the range. I guarantee he will have a smile on his face by the time he is done shooting, and a sore index finger! Many of the older generation folks just don't know about current gun technology.

I did this with my 75 yr. old father last weekend (a Korean war vet) and it was great. By the way, my dad shoots the old-fashioned way..., one handed..., with his left shouder aligned backwards, but somewhat parrallel to the target. He didn't limp wrist a darned one, and my 17 (after repair) performed flawlessly. I kept telling him it wasn't a "cowboy gun"..., there wasn't a horse back there to reign in..., but he was having so much fun so I just let him have at it...

My advice on a 1911..., save up, and get a good one..., and buy extra mags..., from a differnent vendor. Good luck.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Honestly I would just be happy that you girlfriends father 1. likes you and 2. is not anti gun. My wifes father not only hated me, he hated me more once he found out I carried. Count you blessings and who knows, maybe one of those times hes dragging you to a gun store you might find that deal of a life time ;)

This.

I mean, it's sooooooo terrible that your prospective father-in-law goes to GUN SHOPS and then DOESN"T BUY ANYTHING! Yikes, that's just awful, however will you survive?!?!?!

I know it feels frustrating, but think about all the upside to this. If you get frustrated with him just standing there not making a choice, then use the time to fondle other guns, knives, case out ammo prices, etc. etc. :) :ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm in a similar boat when it comes to 1911s. I just can't find "the one". Because I know that I'll keep it until I die. I don't want a llamaen, but it wont be a kimber either.

So he should get a CZ75 or AR24 or Witness in the meantime. That CZ96 is quite the looker, too.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Buy him a gun for Christmas, or give him one of yours you are willing to part with.

Keep in mind that you don't have to understand your father-in-law, you just have to be able to get along.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Have you explained to him that he can have more than one gun? He can have a 1911 to have the things he likes about the 1911 and then have something (like, say a CZ75) for high capacity.

Top Bottom