Range rules, or private property shootout?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Which do you utilize the most? A dedicated range with rules and regulations, or private property where anything goes? Removing the cost equation, which do you prefer?

I shoot on private property. While we can shoot at any targets we want to take, we still practice safety. We also clean up after ourselves.

However, sometimes I enjoy the camaraderie of a public range. It's always nice to meet new shooters.

What do you like to shoot at?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i shoot at a public range 95% of the time. i do not know enough people with enough properyt to be able to shoot at. in the past i was able to go to peoples houses and shoot, but they are either at a different location now or not as close. as long as i can shoot i am happy though no matter where it is:D

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i like ECPR, but i've got some buddies south of indy with a lot of property that is waay more fun. no fees, open air shooting, you can shoot on the move, etc...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My "home" range is a gun club with a large and active membership, but rarely is anyone else there when I roll up on a Sunday morning. So I get the benefit of using the amenities (plate racks, poppers, shooting benches, target stands, indoor plumbing and such), but still have the freedom to do things I couldn't do at a crowded and/or tightly monitored public range (drawing from the holster, extreme CQ shooting, shooting on the move, multiple target engagement drills, etc). So I guess I've got the best of both worlds in a way.

I've shot on private property a number of times as well, and sometimes that affords the opportunity to do things that even a deserted gun club wouldn't allow (like shooting machine guns or an 81mm mortar)...

I only shoot at public ranges (i.e. open to anyone, pay by the day/hour) when I have no other alternative.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I forgot to add an option for a club. But we can clump it in with a public range, since it sort of is.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I wish I had private property to shoot on! I would love to come with with tons of cans and water jugs and have fun.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Where I shoot

I drive an hour and a half to shoot at Crosley F&W. Why? I don't like Atterbury. Indoor ranges don't allow what we shoot, are not nearly long enough, and I hear to many complaints about them from guys here to ever convince me to go to one. Don's has never been an option, and the latest thread about POP's erased any thoughts I might have had about going there.

We usually have Crosley to ourselves most of the time we're there. They have ranges from 20 to 200 yards. I take my own cardboard and staple gun to put up Shoot.N.C. targets. Crosley is a "paper target only" range, open to the public, maintained by DNR, and free. I put up clean cardboard and pick up the trash others leave. If my cardboard is badly shot up, I take it down and toss it. If not, I leave it for the next guy to use.

I need to win the lottery so I can buy enough property to build my own range. That would be a little slice of heaven!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I am attempting to construct a steel target system this spring. It's going to be the size of a child's swing set, with a number of different sized swinging steel plates. I have to go to the scrap yard and pay $.35/lb for it, but it usually lasts awhile. I always try to buy the 1/2"-3/4" steel. The rifles really do a number on them. Once I collect all of the steel I need, I will get it welded together. I just have to do it onsite. :D

Sometimes we shoot at all kinds of crap. I have a nice broken stainless steel microwave oven that is waiting for the next trip. Quite a few electronic items have met their demise out there.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Private property FTW! :D

mark_mortar.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Kind of a shame, Farmland Conservation Club is right around the corner, and they have a nice range. But I usually shoot right out in the yard. One of the benefits of country living, I guess. Frank Merry's gun club has really fixed up the range nicely, too. I only hope if you go there you avoid HIM. (see the Range Commando thread)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Dad owns 40 acres in bloomington, so I usually go there, but if there was a nice close range (get on it LE firearms!) I'd probably go there in the Winter.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Private property unless it's Appleseed or unless someone asks me to demonstrate something I'm trying to describe (I can't talk nearly as well as I type.) Then it's a public range.

Have my very own 100 yard (measured) range in my parents' woods (I've been sorta' the caretaker of those woods for the past 10, 14 years). I usually use that.

Josh

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I dont really shoot at ranges I guess..I have places out in the coal mines I shoot as there are no public ranges near me...a few clubs which I am not a member of any of them yet.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I shoot mostly at a club range. I would prefer shooting at private land that I own. A couple times a year I go to a buddy's place and we have a great time shooting targets that the range doesn't allow.

Top Bottom