• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    What a beautiful day!!

Met ATM at Crawfordsville Gun Club today to make some noise and break in my new to me Taurus PT145. I really like this little gun, when I first handled one at the gun store it was an absolutely perfect fit for my hands. The grip is just big enough for me to get a full grip on it, there is a little indent on the frame to index my trigger finger when not shooting, the slide release and safety are in just the right spot to hit with my thumb, the shape of the grip is just the right shape for my hand. All in all, I picked it up, and was instantly in love. Nevertheless, I put a Model 85 Ultralight on layaway instead. I was convinced that such a small and light .45 was just going to be downright violent in recoil. Got home and started researching them a bit, and found quite a few folks saying the gun was actually pretty soft recoiling, and had a good rep for accuracy and reliability. Frankly, I really didn't believe the parts about soft recoiling, but when I saw one for trade I jumped on it anyway.

The PT145 Pro is a quite compact .45 ACP semi-auto. It's got a 3.25" barrel, polymer frame, and a 10 +1 capacity. It's got a DA/SA trigger, though the gun is always in single action mode unless a round doesn't fire. If a a round fails to fire, you can just pull the trigger again for a second strike. The gun has a manual safety on the left side of the frame, similar to a 1911, but does not have a decock capability. Our best friends were over tonight, and we compared my PT145 to his S&W 649. The 145 is actually shorter, skinnier, and about the same height, a very compact little gun. The Taurus also weighs about a half ounce less empty, feels like it weighs a little more when both guns are fully loaded. The gun comes standard with very easy to see three dot sights, but the ones on mine had been changed to Williams Firesights, very high vis fiber optic three dot sights. The two rear sight dots are red, the front is green. This makes for a combo that is very easy to see, and very quick to put on target.

The gun is a total dream to carry, of course. With it's small size, low weight, and pleasant shape it could hardly be otherwise. A Fobus holster was included in the trade, but frankly I'm really not a fan of them. Yesterday, I stopped at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette on the way home and bought a Don Hume JIT holster for it, and that completed a sweetheart of a carry package. I was really nervous about shooting it today, because I would have been heartbroken if I'd shot it and not enjoyed the experience. Like I said, I really didn't believe the reports about the gun being soft recoiling. Reckon I should have had a little more faith. I will not describe the recoil as "soft," but it's far from unpleasant. I found the little gun a lot of fun to shoot. It's no .22, you definitely know you've pulled the trigger, but instead of being a violent handful, I found the gun to be easy to control, and a lot of very real fun to shoot. Accuracy was good, once I'd shot some rounds and stopped sucking. Can't blame the initial suckiness on the gun. I've not been shooting even a fraction as much as usual, my trigger control sucked, and a few times I found myself not paying as close attention as I should to the front sight. By the end of the shooting session, I was able to put together an acceptable group. I put about 150 rounds through the gun. Mostly ball, a few JHPs. Reliability was good. I did have one malfunction when a Remington UMC round nosedived in the magazine. Normally, this would bother me, but Cathy experienced exactly the same malfunction twice with ATM's SA XD45. I've never seen an XD malfunction in this way, and ATM said his gun had never malfunctioned before. It was the first UMC he'd put through his gun, so at this point I'm satisfied this was an ammo related malfunction. We'll be shooting much more frequently than we've been able to, so I'll certainly report back if this becomes an actual problem. I'm not at all a fan of UMC ammo, it's just never seemed to be very good quality to me, unlike Remington's more expensive fodder. I am, however, now a huge fan of my PT145. I really love this little gun. Combined with my 85UL when I get it out of layaway, I'm gonna have a beautiful carry combo.

Speaking of ATM's XD45, Cathy is all hot and bothered about XDs again after shooting it. She's actually considering having me put her beloved Rock 1911 up for trade toward one. I almost think she should. She's always shot the XDs well, they seem made for her, and the XD45 was no exception. We'll see what she decides :)

Below are some pics of the trip to the range today. We surely couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day! Had a lot of fun shooting with ATM, our first trip to the range with him. I owe him some .45 ammo, so hopefully it won't be the last LOL.

ATM shooting his Mosin Nagant
    Shooting3-6-10003.jpg

Some pics of me shooting my little PT145
    Shooting3-6-10005.jpg

In this one, I was making no effort at recoil control. Instead I was trying desperately to get something on paper that resembled a "group" more than a "pattern" LOL. Recoil is nothing near as nasty as this pic makes it look
    Shooting3-6-10006.jpg

Shooting3-6-10007.jpg

Sean shooting ATM's 10-22
    Shooting3-6-10008.jpg

Me and ATM, and me, Sean, and ATM
    Shooting3-6-10010.jpg

Shooting3-6-10012.jpg

Target was shot with my PT145 at 10 yards offhand
    Shooting3-6-10016.jpg

Target shot with my PT145 at 10 yards, double taps from the holster. My ego almost convinced me not to post this one, but here it is anyway. I'd love to blame the gun, ammo, anything, but it's all me :( For example, if you look at the two rounds outside the black (below the grip of my gun) I was looking at the target instead of the sights when I shot those. Watched them both go in "boom, boom." Bad Joe!

Shooting3-6-10018.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Nice report! Any issues with the slide not doing well with 10rds in the mag?

How do you mean? Slide loads the top round every time with a full mag, no problems on that front. Closest thing to a problem would be that the mag is a little more difficult to seat with the slide forward and 10 rounds in the mag, but that's hardly uncommon.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A little addendum:

There is one thing I didn't like about the gun from a reloader's perspective. It scatters brass. Some loads eject forward and to the right, some straight to the right, some to the rear and right. Sigh. Hardly the first gun I've had that does this, but it does make finding your brass a little more interesting.

Cathy shot a video of my first shots through the gun, thought I'd post it so you can see how it shoots.

YouTube - joecatsean's Channel

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Congrats this is a fine pistol! Btw, this gun is sa/da not da/sa, hence the second strike capability.

I suppose that is a more accurate way to describe it, since there is no way to safely decock the gun and carry it DA for the first shot. Wish there were, the DA trigger actually isn't bad, and I would carry it DA with safety off, instead of with the safety on as I do carry it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    A little addendum:

There is one thing I didn't like about the gun from a reloader's perspective. It scatters brass. Some loads eject forward and to the right, some straight to the right, some to the rear and right. Sigh. Hardly the first gun I've had that does this, but it does make finding your brass a little more interesting.

Cathy shot a video of my first shots through the gun, thought I'd post it so you can see how it shoots.

buddy of mine just bought 1 too.....you just never know where the brass is goin' to go.....right,left.straight up,behind and to the right,out front,ect.....then it seem's to burn the brass on 1 side .....just can't figure out which side of the chamber is doin' it?.....did you see any of this Joe?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    buddy of mine just bought 1 too.....you just never know where the brass is goin' to go.....right,left.straight up,behind and to the right,out front,ect.....then it seem's to burn the brass on 1 side .....just can't figure out which side of the chamber is doin' it?.....did you see any of this Joe?

No, I didn't see any burn marks on the brass. It's still nice and shiny.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    How do you mean? Slide loads the top round every time with a full mag, no problems on that front. Closest thing to a problem would be that the mag is a little more difficult to seat with the slide forward and 10 rounds in the mag, but that's hardly uncommon.

My PT145 shoots flawlessly with 8rds in the mag, but with 10 it will not slide the slide forward. It just sits there as if the spring isn't strong enough to chamber the round.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My PT145 shoots flawlessly with 8rds in the mag, but with 10 it will not slide the slide forward. It just sits there as if the spring isn't strong enough to chamber the round.

Have you tried different mags to see if it could be a mag problem?

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Good report. I've been thinking about picking one of those up. As for the brass, i lay out a tarp to catch it all. I have a huge tarp that does the job.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Good report. I've been thinking about picking one of those up. As for the brass, i lay out a tarp to catch it all. I have a huge tarp that does the job.

We used to use an old sleeping bag, but it's apparently gone away. We'll have to hit the indoor flea market here in Crawfordsville to see if we can find something suitable, or we'll never get all our brass back LOL. At least Cathy's RIA 1911 throws 'em in the same general area. Of course, it throws 'em about 2 miles.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I had a good time shooting with you and your family, Joe. Nice report! :yesway:

Look forward to catching you guys there again. :)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    A little addendum:

Made me laugh reading this. Reminded me of shooting my SIG 556.

It shoots out brass at about the same velocity as the 5.56 going out the barrel!

decalguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    I'm glad to see a positive review on the pt145. I've been looking at that one and the 745. My wife carries a Sigma 40 and would like something that's easier to conceal. She likes the way the Taurus feels in her hand. Ultimately it would be her decision, she is the one that has to be comfortable with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My GF has it in stainless. She couldn't shoot it worth a darn, but I really liked it. She got a used G21 with NS cheap due to the Steven R. Jenkins having a fair number of them in police trade ins (we got a matching pair).

Even though she's on the smaller side, the G21 fit her hands better than the Taurus did.

I liked the PT145 fine, it fit my hands pretty well and I had no issues shooting it. Never had any issues with it not feeding or jamming.

She's thinking of selling it to finance putting an HWS on her new (to her) AR.

Top Bottom