Range Report: S&W 642 vs. Kel-Tec PF-9 (w/ Pics & Videos)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    AAR: S&W 642 vs. Kel-Tec PF-9 Pocket Pistols

Mission & Limitations:

I carry pretty much whenever I am awake. I am lucky enough to even be able to carry at work, providing I remain extremely discreet even with the clothing options I have at the work place. As a result I am tied rather exclusively to pocket carry and pocket pistols.

As such I have carried a variety of them (Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PM40, 442, and now a 642). Each time I have changed firearms, it has been in an eternal balance between reliability and capability all limited by the nature of pocket carry.

While I currently carry a 642, and have done so for over a year, there was a time that I carried a PM40 over a 442 so that I would have the advantage of capacity and accuracy - I even did a big AAR on the choice at that time. In the end the PM40 was not reliable enough (stovepipes) and gave way to the 642 that I carry now.

However, I cannot get away from the two basic down sides to the 642 as a carry pistol: accuracy and reloading.

For those that have not spent much time with a J-Frame revolver, they are very comfortable to the hand, reliable, and easy to carry. They are very much the ultimate "toss it in the jacket" firearm. But, that being said, they do have some down points and one is the sight system:

3918416938_9c30bf5c8a.jpg

3918422968_e36985fbaa.jpg

As you can see, the sights are kinda an afterthought and not a careful instrument. Given the fact that this is a "shove it in their belly" weapon for many, that is understandable. Also, the pistol rests in the hand comfortably, but at an upward angle which is convenient at very close ranges, but requires practice at longer ranges lest the shooter fly rounds over the target.

The PF-9 is a more familiar firearm to my backround. While the bottom finger must rest under the magazine, the sight system is more "real" and easier for me to gain sight alignment and picture:

3918425892_5a0ca1d96e.jpg

3918587248_997c1e7c84.jpg

And even thought the feel of the firearm is less appealing, the slight nosing down of the firearm results in a proper alignment when my hand rises up to the plane of my eye.

Both weapons can of course be reloaded and I always carry one reload with me at all times. Due to clothing requirements I have to carry a flat reload which means a speed reloader for the 642 is not possible and a speed strip is my only option. Obviously, a PF-9 mag carries just fine as well.

So, enough of the initial impressions, let's head off to the range and see how they do!

Off to the Range:

Today was my first chance to take a newly acquired PF-9 to the range to test. I had a window of 40 minutes in between two kid events to sneak off and get this done. That is ok, because I had nearly no ammo to test with. :xmad:

But we do the best with what we have at the time!

642 & .38 Ammo

3917651822_dd21c103de.jpg

3916863551_e5ddb1a419.jpg

The ammo I had with me to test the 642 was a bottom of the barrel hodgepodge including 130 grain FMJ, 130(?) Wadcutter Match, and 110 HP. My normal carry round is the excellent 135 Speer +P round that delivers 280 fp of energy and a round that is designed for the snubby (seen on the right in the picture).

PF-9 & 9mm Ammo

3917656082_834a45dd5d.jpg

3916869155_4257345199.jpg

One of the advantages of the 9mm platform is the superior ballistics and terminal velocities of modern ammunition. The HST HP rounds here deliver 345 fp of energy in a package smaller than the .38. As a result, more rounds can be carried easily (7 versus the 642's 5).

Additionally, since the PF-9 is a single stack magazine fed system, it is far, far faster to reload and that is a primary concern that brings me back to considering a carry change.

Accuracy Test (Nothing Else Matters if you Can't Hit the BG!)

642 (Wadcutter Match)

The 642 is not known for its accuracy, but I thought I would give it every chance by firing at a slow pace and with my match wadcutters. All firing was done standing and not using a support. The range for all shooting was 7 yards which I consider to be the most likely maximum range for an encounter.

The target is the diamond on the upper left hand portion of the square target:

YouTube - 642slow2

Wow! They did better than I expected. The 642 has a heavy, stacking trigger pull that is very long. It is hard to get used to and I still do not have it mastered but have improved. I used to look at that trigger as being so heavy that my kids could not pull it, but they are bigger now and I no longer think it would deter them so it is no longer an advantage.

Now for a couple of runs on the PF-9.

Using a mix of FMJ and HP, I got the following results first on the lower left diamond, and then the upper right one:

YouTube - pf9group1

YouTube - pf9slow2

So both pistols can be accurate, or at least accurate enough at working ranges. Well, let's test the issue of reloading and staying in a fight that lasts more than a few rounds.

Rapid Reload Test (Might have to Hit the BG more than Once!)

642 with a speed strip:

YouTube - 642speedstrip

Yes, I could shorten that reload time with practice, but it might only be cut by half under good circumstances and I cannot imagine pulling it off under fire. Frankly, I would be grabbing a knife to hold me over while I tried a reload.

And the PF-9:

YouTube - pf9reload

Yup, that is the reason for the season. More rounds, faster reloads. Period.

Reliability Test ("Oh, No!" or Staying in the Fight)

My 642 has never failed to fire, ever. Even if I had a bad round all I would need to do is pull the trigger again on a new round and go! At the same time, that would still be tragic as a 5 round payload would be reduced to 80%!

So, in nearly 80 rounds fired, did I have any failures? Yes, one:

YouTube - pf9malfu

What happened was the slide did not activate the trigger but had cycled a round into the chamber. It took a few seconds for me to process the info and move on. While it was a failure, it was a fast one to fix and I was right back into the swing of things. Another 500 rounds will tell if this is a 1.5% failure rate or less/more. Concerning, but not yet damning.

Now, for some Fun (AKA let's move and shoot some!)

I have no formal training at all in move and shoot. All I know comes from youtube, books, and getting laughed at by Rhino at Wabash Vally IPSC shoots. But I do test a few things now and then. One is the ability to shoot while retreating from a threat:

Backpeddling tests!

YouTube - 642 Making Space Drill

PF-9

YouTube - pf9back

I ran out of 9mm at this point (other than a reserve for actual carry) so I could not to a move and reload test. But since I had a few more wadcutters, I figured I would try a side to side test (I am no esrice, but I am willing to try):

YouTube - 642 Side to Side Experiment

(Note: I pulled the trigger two times on empty because I had not processed the pistol was empty, I was focussed on moving. I wonder if a locked slide would have caught my attention sooner?)

And then I was out of ammo, and out of time. Quickly I gathered up ammo, took down the camera and tripod and raced off to my next appointment in the real world of kids and family.

So, results:

1. Both firearms were matched in slowfire accuracy. The 642 had a greater propensity for first shot being very high if I was rushing it and it was slower to acquire the target, but these could be fixed with more practice. The PF-9 however, is a firearm that I would be more inclined to practice with as the 642 has a less fun firing experience.

2. The PF-9 wins the reload race hands down and gains in rounds carried. It is also just plain old more familiar in function.

3. The PF-9 did have a malfunction which only reminds me of the reason I like the 642 - it goes bang every time. I will need to run another 500 rounds in the PF-9 to know just what I can expect from it.

4. The PF-9 may just usurp the 642 but has to do a bit of proving first. I think many more rounds need tested and next time I will do accuracy tests based on quick fire and quick acquisition (while trying not to shoot the camera) and I will kill some watermelons (a.k.a. hillbilly ballistic gel) as well.

5. I had a ball.

Techres

P.S. Thanks to tyler34 for stopping by and saying "Hi!" and also for not being angry that I was in such a rush and had little time to chat. Time is always fleeting these days...

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've had the others, sold them and got something that works well, is all. I wasn't completely a shameless plug. :):

In techres' defense, he did own a PM40 at one time, but didn't find it reliable enough to bet his life on. I'm betting a Kahr P380 or PM9 would be a different story (and more fun to shoot).

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I wish I could sell them and go for the Kahr, but that is no in the financial cards right now. But even if I had the money, I would have to really test a PM9 first. Without a PM9 to compare, the PF-9 strikes me as having a more comfortable grip than my PM40 from my memory. Additionally, the PM40 was wicked on recoil and tended to stovepipe often (might not happen in 9mm as bad). At the same time, the Kahr would alleviate the concern of an extractor pinging off the pistol during a practice or worse, but that is not a choice I can make now.

In any event, this comparason is only for a lateral shift, not an upgrade due to finances. So, it still stands as is, and we will see if the PF-9 can be "The Little Engine That Could".

450 more rounds should tell the tale.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I have a picture request - I'd like to see how well the PF-9 hides in a pocket. I carry my j-frame in a pocket from time to time, but I've only tried a Glock subcompact (HA) in a pocket, and THAT was a no-go..

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I wish I could sell them and go for the Kahr, but that is no in the financial cards right now. But even if I had the money, I would have to really test a PM9 first. Without a PM9 to compare, the PF-9 strikes me as having a more comfortable grip than my PM40 from my memory. Additionally, the PM40 was wicked on recoil and tended to stovepipe often (might not happen in 9mm as bad). At the same time, the Kahr would alleviate the concern of an extractor pinging off the pistol during a practice or worse, but that is not a choice I can make now.

In any event, this comparason is only for a lateral shift, not an upgrade due to finances. So, it still stands as is, and we will see if the PF-9 can be "The Little Engine That Could".

450 more rounds should tell the tale.

In my experience with my cw9, I've never had 1 single fail with it. That's with FMJ brown bear, Aguila HPs, PMC and Powerball.

That only thing I notice is the first round coming from the magazine tends to rub the ramp from the magazine spring tightness and wants catch; forcing one to push the slide forward into battery. With powerball that is nonexistent; plus, that seems to also be dimishing as I shoot the pistol more. BUT, that's only with the first round from pulling the slide stop and letting it run power under the power of the spring. It does not happen nearly as often when rack the slide on the first round.

That other drawback, as with any small single stack is the capacity...

no fails. That's about at the 500 round point, lots of brown bear.

I don't think I'd own a Kahr, or any small .40SW for that matter. I don't like to pay for punishment, I don't have any tattoos for that reason. :):

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Great review and videos.

You are correct about those 642 sights. At first I put some day-glow orange paint on the front sight. That was OK, but didn't help with night time encounters. I wear glasses and so does my wife. We can see the target fine, but wouldn't get any kind of front sight picture without our glasses (as in waking up in the middle of the night because you heard the front door get kicked in.).)

Soooo, Crimson Trace grips came to the rescue. With the CT 305 grips, that bullet will go where the dot is. That's a great aftermarket upgrade to the small S&W 642.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to any more reviews and videos you may be posting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Very nice report. I too use CT grips on my 642. I have logged a lot of time over the years on a double-action trigger pull, so naturally I gravitated to the revolver when I wanted a highly concealeable and easy to carry handgun. One thing you might consider is how much faster a partial (2 round) reload might be for your 642. I've seen very good revolver shooters load two rounds from a 2x2x2 pouch very quickly.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My 442 had CT grips and I had two problems with them: feel and zero. They just felt wrong, very wrong and slightly slippery. Additionally, the more I practiced with my 442 the more I had to zero it. It got to the point where I did not trust the zero enough to make a tough shot and I got rid of them. I had the same trouble with a Kimer Ultra Carry II that the CT grips would have a zero that wandered enough to not trust with a head shot at 15-20 yards.

For my wife, I would have kept them as they would be far, far better than body index shooting at close ranges, but for me they did not feel good enough and so they fell by the wayside.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Great review/comparison! I've had 3 small S&Ws and never had a problem with any of them. I really like my PF-9 and have never had a fail to fire or a fail to feed and as of this weekend, I'm over 500 rds through mine (my wife and a buddy both limpwristed it once though).
    two notes:
    (1.) If you do or ever have been a limpwrister, I wouldn't suggest any small semi auto as carry weapon. I've just seen to many people limpwristing these lately.
    (2.) As far as pocket print, The PF-9 is the smallest 9mm I've seen (the new Taurus 709 is close) and I think it's better than any revolver that size. That being said, I don't pocket carry it unless i've got very loose pants on (cargo style) or going for a short trip.

...again, Great report!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now THAT is a range report. You, sir, have raised the bar for the rest of us.

:ugh:

Oh man! Now you're gonna make me pull out a video camera and tripod?!

I think I'm gonna have Fenway mix the video and music from my next range trip into a short-film. :D

Nice report tech!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Great review/comparison! I've had 3 small S&Ws and never had a problem with any of them. I really like my PF-9 and have never had a fail to fire or a fail to feed and as of this weekend, I'm over 500 rds through mine (my wife and a buddy both limpwristed it once though).
    two notes:
    (1.) If you do or ever have been a limpwrister, I wouldn't suggest any small semi auto as carry weapon. I've just seen to many people limpwristing these lately.
    (2.) As far as pocket print, The PF-9 is the smallest 9mm I've seen (the new Taurus 709 is close) and I think it's better than any revolver that size. That being said, I don't pocket carry it unless i've got very loose pants on (cargo style) or going for a short trip.

...again, Great report!

It's funny, I tend to get very defensive about the "you must be limp wristing" comments that people make in defense of firearms that tend to jam with recoil. Sure, it comes from the kindergarden playground insult of being limpwristed and all, but on a more mature level - I want a gun that will work in adverse conditions and positions.

Take for instance, a handgun that can be fired one handed, off center, while wrestling with a bad guy who is trying to take it from me. As silly as this movie might show, I want a gun that is able to do something like these:

YouTube - Another Limp Wrist Test

So, yeah, I think a small handgun that needs to be held with two hands or by a table vice as not a wise design. At the same time, the 642 would be BRUTAL to fire like the ones above with +P or .357 in a same sized .357. Again, I want reliability in adverse conditions.

But as I said, some of the above is my defensiveness. And, no I don't think you are saying something about me personally.

Now as for concealability, I will post pictures later tonight, but they are about even. One is thinner, but the other is more rounded.

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    It's funny, I tend to get very defensive about the "you must be limp wristing" comments that people make in defense of firearms that tend to jam with recoil. Sure, it comes from the kindergarden playground insult of being limpwristed and all, but on a more mature level - I want a gun that will work in adverse conditions and positions.

Take for instance, a handgun that can be fired one handed, off center, while wrestling with a bad guy who is trying to take it from me. As silly as this movie might show, I want a gun that is able to do something like these:

YouTube - Another Limp Wrist Test

So, yeah, I think a small handgun that needs to be held with two hands or by a table vice as not a wise design. At the same time, the 642 would be BRUTAL to fire like the ones above with +P or .357 in a same sized .357. Again, I want reliability in adverse conditions.

But as I said, some of the above is my defensiveness. And, no I don't think you are saying something about me personally.

Now as for concealability, I will post pictures later tonight, but they are about even. One is thinner, but the other is more rounded.

I just traded off my 642. I didn't like the lack of sights, and jarring effect when shooting it. If I can't see sights to hit and 10 yards, I don't want it. I had a friend who was San Diego sheriff Deputy back in the day before the G17 made its debut; revolvers were his thing and he shot them in comps as well. He couldn't get a good consistency with it. After that, it was outta there.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My 442 had CT grips and I had two problems with them: feel and zero. They just felt wrong, very wrong and slightly slippery. Additionally, the more I practiced with my 442 the more I had to zero it. It got to the point where I did not trust the zero enough to make a tough shot and I got rid of them. I had the same trouble with a Kimer Ultra Carry II that the CT grips would have a zero that wandered enough to not trust with a head shot at 15-20 yards.

For my wife, I would have kept them as they would be far, far better than body index shooting at close ranges, but for me they did not feel good enough and so they fell by the wayside.

I am curious if these were the hard plastic, economical grips that Crimson Trace experimented with (CT 105??). The CT 305 and 405 grips are cushioned rubberized grips with plenty of recoil absorbing material.
    I've not only put the CT grips on mine and my wife's S&W 642s, I put them on my M&P 9 compact also. I can hit wherever that dot is.... as long as I don't mess up my trigger pull.
    Anyway, that's why there are so many aftermarket accessories to firearms. Everyone has different needs and concerns.;)

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    TECHRES have you considered a MOD-15or-19 S&W with a good pocket holster? I shure like my 642 but it has been gone thru top to bottom front to back and it makes a huge diferance in preformance. GREAT post and follow ups. reps.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    One thing you might consider is how much faster a partial (2 round) reload might be for your 642. I've seen very good revolver shooters load two rounds from a 2x2x2 pouch very quickly.

Another way would be putting only 4 rounds in your speed strip. The last (5th) round increases your time to reload by about 33%. You have less time with the cylinder out and putting two rounds in two holes is easier when the speed strip isn't as crowded. You can get "back in the game" quicker.

P1190001-1.jpg

Another pointer that the guys from ACT taught me is hold the cylinder with your left hand and use your right (your more dextrous) hand to insert the rounds. After practicing this way, I was able to reload faster.

Top Bottom