Range Report: S&W 642 vs. Kel-Tec PF-9 (w/ Pics & Videos)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Nice write up, thanks.

You have 2 very nice packin guns. I've actually tried pocketing the PF9 and its not too bad. Also, Kahrs suck and are way overated for the money. (I've had 3 and they suck):noway: Was going to give the PM9 a try and remembered the nonsense I went through with the MK40 and said Fuhgeddaboutit

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Six Forty-Two said:
    Another way would be putting only 4 rounds in your speed strip. The last (5th) round increases your time to reload by about 33%. You have less time with the cylinder out and putting two rounds in two holes is easier when the speed strip isn't as crowded. You can get "back in the game" quicker.

Another pointer that the guys from ACT taught me is hold the cylinder with your left hand and use your right (your more dextrous) hand to insert the rounds. After practicing this way, I was able to reload faster.

That trick with the speed loaders makes sense and I will definitely give it a run. I have done left hand hold for standard speed loaders and would get better with practice, but I will never be as good as this guy:

YouTube - JERRY MICULIK FASTEST REVOLVER SHOOTER IN THE WORLD IPSC

Additionally, under pressure I am not sure about a process that includes swapping the firearm between hands - I see droppage in that future...

Nice write up, thanks.

You have 2 very nice packin guns. I've actually tried pocketing the PF9 and its not too bad. Also, Kahrs suck and are way overated for the money. (I've had 3 and they suck):noway: Was going to give the PM9 a try and remembered the nonsense I went through with the MK40 and said Fuhgeddaboutit

So what are you using instead?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    Additionally, under pressure I am not sure about a process that includes swapping the firearm between hands - I see droppage in that future...

You aren't really swapping hands. You've already got both hands there. One pressing the cylinder release, just slide the left hand up as the cylinder comes out and hold the gun. More like switching from a two handed grip to a one handed vs really switching hands.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You aren't really swapping hands. You've already got both hands there. One pressing the cylinder release, just slide the left hand up as the cylinder comes out and hold the gun. More like switching from a two handed grip to a one handed vs really switching hands.

[doing the hand motion in the middle of the office] You are right for retention, it is only going from two point hold to one point then back to two. At the same time, even with a round speed loader you are still at two times the body motion and more than that when it comes to detail work (putting small shafts into small holes repeatedly) so...

Again, with practice I could probably be at half the speed of the semi's at best I would guess. And if I had my back supporting a door that someone was kicking in while trying to reload, the semi just seems to be less likely to end up with rounds rolling around the floor uselessly.

We should get some videos up here on people doing it right and well. Members, not some youtube gurus.

Thanks for pointing out my error in thinking though. Sometimes the only way to think is to do it with hand motions.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Very nice review! I own and have carried both weapons.

I still carry my 642 (I think it's a 642....its the same gun with a hammer). I love it.

I found that the first few times I practiced, I was not accurate. But I have gotten very accurate with it and have ABSOLUTE comfort in carrying it every day.

Like you said - it goes bang. Every time.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Another way would be putting only 4 rounds in your speed strip. The last (5th) round increases your time to reload by about 33%. You have less time with the cylinder out and putting two rounds in two holes is easier when the speed strip isn't as crowded. You can get "back in the game" quicker.

P1190001-1.jpg

Another pointer that the guys from ACT taught me is hold the cylinder with your left hand and use your right (your more dextrous) hand to insert the rounds. After practicing this way, I was able to reload faster.

By holding the cylinder in the left hand (for us righties) you have control over it. It also allows you to hold the revolver with the barrel pointed straight up. This allows the unburned powder, etc., to leave the charging holes easier (not getting trapped under the star) when extracting the empties.

Top Bottom