• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Hot brass is a natural by-product of shooting guns. Wear a hat, some safety glasses, a shirt that it's hard to get down the front of, wear your big boy undies, your hearing protection, and HAVE SOME FUN.
    Whining about being hit with hot brass at the range is like whining about being splashed at a water park. Man up. Jeez.....

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Kinda like the the texting driver that you swerve to avoid and he flips ya off! Man up! It's his road too.

I guess that I have too many fond memories of when folks were more considerate.

The last response was especially helpful.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Bring a big piece of plywood with you next time and set it up between you and the next lane!

Seriously, it's just part of the outdoor range experience.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Bring a big piece of plywood with you next time and set it up between you and the next lane!

Seriously, it's just part of the outdoor range experience.

I've actually been thinking about this the past few weeks. Not sure about the guy (girl) next to me, but I do feel bad when I see my brass hitting somebody else. I've been thinking about bringing a big ammo-can and standing it on it's side to act as a brass catcher.

It would stop the disgruntled range masters from yelling at me to pick up my brass too. Seems like it should work in my head now I just need a free day to try it.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Kinda like the the texting driver that you swerve to avoid and he flips ya off! Man up! It's his road too.
    No. Not like that at all. Texting while driving is dangerous, distracted and unsafe behavior. I can see that it doesn't matter what anyone says to you about the subject, you're gonna be butthurt if you get hit with brass at the range.
    Perhaps you need to look into building your own, private place to shoot so you can have it your way?

Because seriously, if you were on my right at the range, getting all indignant about my brass heading your way, I'd tell you to move.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I actually thought about this thread while I was @ Sugar Ridge FWA range. Bays are close enough that of you are on the right of a shooter it's going to happen, brass / casings r coming your way.

I did have to ask a family if their kids had glasses, as they setup to my right. I got the shrug uh no answer. Asked them to have their kids stand well away as my steel casings would have flown right @ their heads. That worked ok until the kids started shooting, sans glasses right beside me. I'd already been there a couple hours so decided to pack it up.

Told them to be safe & protect their eyes, obviously didn't register. Amazing, the Dad had glasses. 2nd time I've seen that up there.

I need to look into Red Brush!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't been to the range since then- life is busy. Is there a time limit for questions?

I am surprised than so many feel no responsibility for throwing hot brass in other peoples face. Sure its a shooting range. But what right do I have to let my choice of firearm put others in an awkward, and potentially painful position?

We are responsible for what exits the muzzle, why not for the ejection port?

Flying brass cannot be controlled. You know it as well as all the rest of us. You remind me a woman sitting beside a swimming pool and complaining when someone splashes water on them. If you do not like the normal results of firing at a range, stay home and let the rest of us enjoy our sport. Then go build your own range so we do not have to put up with your whining.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I can see that I started this whole thing from the wrong direction so I'll start over.

So, you're at the range and someone with absolutely no regard pulls in next to you and starts peppering you with their brass. You mention that it's hot and unpleasant, so they start whining and complaining about how you ought to make provision for their lack of concern.

I think its more like going fishing and someone comes by and starts throwing the water in your face. Water park analogy doesn't work at all.

When did this become the "normal result" of shooting at a range? Why can't it be controlled? they make brass catchers.

The shooter ought to bring the plywood if he can't position himself so that his brass isn't landing on the next bench.

Seems like the guys that are not concerned about others ought to build their own place.

I asked the original question with no intent but except to get some input. But it seems that the web makes it easy to start getting personal.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I can see that I started this whole thing from the wrong direction so I'll start over.

So, you're at the range and someone with absolutely no regard pulls in next to you and starts peppering you with their brass. You mention that it's hot and unpleasant, so they start whining and complaining about how you ought to make provision for their lack of concern.

I think its more like going fishing and someone comes by and starts throwing the water in your face. Water park analogy doesn't work at all.

When did this become the "normal result" of shooting at a range? Why can't it be controlled? they make brass catchers.

The shooter ought to bring the plywood if he can't position himself so that his brass isn't landing on the next bench.

Seems like the guys that are not concerned about others ought to build their own place.

I asked the original question with no intent but except to get some input. But it seems that the web makes it easy to start getting personal.

Did they have another area they could have setup instead of beside you?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    OK. I doubt you will find any sympathy here. It's just part of the sport/activity of shooting. Semi autos can throw brass/steel cases. No reason to use brass catchers or set up a wall when it's just standard procedures at a range.

But I will give you a couple options.
    1. Set up your own range.
    2. Go to indoor ranges with separators/partitions/walls.
    3. Use left bay when possible. I prefer right side.
    4. Shoot with a bunch of buddies with revolvers.

Other than that I don't think we can help much. It's really not much different from jamming a finger while playing football/soccer/basketball. It's uncomfortable but can happen.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Maybe you should bring a piece of plywood with you. I think you will be more successful in bringing plywood to protect yourself from flying brass than expecting everyone else to bring plywood to protect you from flying brass.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    OP, I don't think it's that we can't understand the sentiment of courtesy. It's just not practical to get all bent up about brass flying around when it is a perfectly normal and accepted occurrence at a public range. Any public venue is going to have it's inherent annoyances. Folks talking during movies, the aforementioned splash at the water park, someone farting in an elevator....

I understand the sentiment and would not go out of my way to "aim" my spent brass at someone with the intent of harming\annoying them. However, as a public range, they should understand and accept everything that goes along with it. The random kid running around because mom or dad stopped paying attention, the flying brass, the smokers, getting muzzled by idiots, overpriced targets and ammo, etc etc etc.

I would temper my response to an individual who was pelting me with brass accordingly. Of course, as a re-loader, I would sooner be trying to catch the brass in my bucket than complaining about it....

EDIT - By accept I mean expect it. Not to accept being muzzled by someone, etc...

Top Bottom