• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    put a bucket out and start grabbing their brass because it made its way into your booth LOL.....sorry im a reloader and were all nutty and always thinking about stuff like that.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, if the range is busy, do you expect them to stop shooting? If you where hitting someone else with brass, but could not move, would you stop shooting?

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I would not want a tarp as you wouldn't be able to see what's going on around you. I would think rabbit fencing (the stuff with the little squares) would work well. It would solve the flying brass issues and you could still see through it. Plus it would make it easier to police my own brass as well. That being said, I'm glad I have my own range. I do miss the public range at times though for meeting others and trying out different firearms .

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am really amazed that a bunch of independent minded, do-your-own-thing, "give'em hell" gun aficionados would actually complain about hot brass flying through the air.

Seriously? We are supposed to police our brass so it does not enter someone else's space? Should we file law suits to demand that gun manufacturers change the weapons design so that brass is expelled on a downward direction so that no one will be hurt by flying hot brass? After all, what if one of those hot shells flies down some poor lady's bra? What if some poor slob get his man boobs burned? The range might get sued!! (Wasn't there some law suit about hot coffee?)

Even worse, what if it hits someone in the eye? Never mind that the fool did not wear eye protection, or only wore glasses instead of a full helmet with full face shield! We might put out an eye! We better shut down these dangerous firing ranges for the sake of the children!! Some poor demented fool of a father may actually take his five-year-old daughter out to the range to train her to disarm OCers and she may be hit in the eye!!

Worse yet, what about all that smoke fouling the air?! How can we be so inconsiderate as make someone else breathe our second-hand gun smoke! It might cause lung cancer! We better insist that the ranges put up dividing walls between firing lanes, enclose the firing station with hermetically-sealed air purifiers so that our smoke does not defile the pure lungs of the eco-maniac using the next lane. We will have to install rubber seals in gun ports in the front pexi-glass so we can actually fire our weapons, but after all, it is for the children and we cannot infringe on the space and pure air used by others.

Might as well complain about guys sweating on the basketball court! "EEWWW! My hand got wet with sweat when I illegally hand-checked you!! Stop sweating!!"

Bunch of wimps! Sheesh!

Oh boy! Where did I put that fire suit! Hope it zips all the way up the neck! Don't want hot brass to get it!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I am really amazed that a bunch of independent minded, do-your-own-thing, "give'em hell" gun aficionados would actually complain about hot brass flying through the air.

Seriously? We are supposed to police our brass so it does not enter someone else's space? Should we file law suits to demand that gun manufacturers change the weapons design so that brass is expelled on a downward direction so that no one will be hurt by flying hot brass? After all, what if one of those hot shells flies down some poor lady's bra? What if some poor slob get his man boobs burned? The range might get sued!! (Wasn't there some law suit about hot coffee?)

Even worse, what if it hits someone in the eye? Never mind that the fool did not wear eye protection, or only wore glasses instead of a full helmet with full face shield! We might put out an eye! We better shut down these dangerous firing ranges for the sake of the children!! Some poor demented fool of a father may actually take his five-year-old daughter out to the range to train her to disarm OCers and she may be hit in the eye!!

Worse yet, what about all that smoke fouling the air?! How can we be so inconsiderate as make someone else breathe our second-hand gun smoke! It might cause lung cancer! We better insist that the ranges put up dividing walls between firing lanes, enclose the firing station with hermetically-sealed air purifiers so that our smoke does not defile the pure lungs of the eco-maniac using the next lane. We will have to install rubber seals in gun ports in the front pexi-glass so we can actually fire our weapons, but after all, it is for the children and we cannot infringe on the space and pure air used by others.

Might as well complain about guys sweating on the basketball court! "EEWWW! My hand got wet with sweat when I illegally hand-checked you!! Stop sweating!!"

Bunch of wimps! Sheesh!

Oh boy! Where did I put that fire suit! Hope it zips all the way up the neck! Don't want hot brass to get it!

Repped.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Isn't that part of the experience? I went to the range with my brother yesterday. He showered me with hot brass all day. Had we switched lanes I would have ended up showering him. I have been burned by hot brass more times than I can count. Not once has it been life threatening. I just can't imagine that this is such a big issue with any experienced shooter. If so, maybe you should change hobbies. I hear macrame' is very safe.

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Learn to embrace hot brass on the back of your neck. It builds character. At least that's what I told my 10yr old daughter.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I once had this crusty old terd at Roush come over and blow off at me concerning my brass hitting him.

#1 I was there first so HE can move, not me.

#2 Just because YOU shoot a bolt action one round per minute does not mean I have to shoot that way.

I was very nice to him; too nice. I approached him a short time later and "apologized" for not realizing my casings were hitting him. I explained that my rifle always throws the casings forward but I was working with a new ammo which ended up flying to the side. For my kindness I was welcomed with another barrage of hate. My friend ended the whole thing by saying, "some people are just looking to be unhappy and can't even accept an apology" Forget him". That stung him enough that he shut up.

It's a gun range; man up.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Isn't that part of the experience? I went to the range with my brother yesterday. He showered me with hot brass all day. Had we switched lanes I would have ended up showering him. I have been burned by hot brass more times than I can count. Not once has it been life threatening. I just can't imagine that this is such a big issue with any experienced shooter. If so, maybe you should change hobbies. I hear macrame' is very safe.

You can still get a nasty rope burn.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How about "Do onto others as you would want done to you". I try to make sure I do nothing that upsets the next guys ability to enjoy his time at the range, and I would hope that the next guy would think that way also. I also tune my ejector springs to control my brass. Where that is not possible, I make every effort to create some type of barrier. Most people can be accomodating if you are somewhat decent.
    Here is another important range etiquette, never drop a slide behind someones back, I DON"T CARE if you say "it ain't loaded dude". I have been experiencing that more and more often in public shooting places.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    How about "Do onto others as you would want done to you". I try to make sure I do nothing that upsets the next guys ability to enjoy his time at the range, and I would hope that the next guy would think that way also. I also tune my ejector springs to control my brass. Where that is not possible, I make every effort to create some type of barrier. Most people can be accomodating if you are somewhat decent.
    Here is another important range etiquette, never drop a slide behind someones back, I DON"T CARE if you say "it ain't loaded dude". I have been experiencing that more and more often in public shooting places.

At a public outdoor range, how exactly would you "create some type of barrier."? I doubt places like ECPR would allow you to erect your own screen..

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I am not at a firing range to build secure firing cages. I get hit by flying brass. So does the guy next to me. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. Or if you are going to whine and cry about flying brass, build your own range.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    In my OP I was simply asking for opinions. Amazing how some will use any opportunity to assert their know it all ideas. As for the event in question, it was last year. There was no damage done- just asked how others would have dealt with it.

As far as it being my brass impacting others, I actually have waited to shoot my semi autos when this was a possibility.

I always appreciate the genuine help that can be found here, but some of the knee-jerk stuff make it feel like a school yard playground at times.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I haven't been to the range since then- life is busy. Is there a time limit for questions?

I am surprised than so many feel no responsibility for throwing hot brass in other peoples face. Sure its a shooting range. But what right do I have to let my choice of firearm put others in an awkward, and potentially painful position?

We are responsible for what exits the muzzle, why not for the ejection port?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I haven't been to the range since then

WOW! I seriously can not imagine going a year without shooting.
    Seriously.
    Is there a time limit for questions?
    Not to my knowledge. It just seemed odd.
    I am surprised than so many feel no responsibility for throwing hot brass in other peoples face. Sure its a shooting range. But what right do I have to let my choice of firearm put others in an awkward, and potentially painful position?

We are responsible for what exits the muzzle, why not for the ejection port?
    Most times I think people are aware...and being such, they'll opt for the furthest bay when shooting at a public range. Sometimes, you just don't have a choice of where you're placed. Should they spend their entire range time/fee standing there not firing, waiting for the person next to them to not be *potentially* in the way of ejected brass?

Top Bottom