• Gauging Interest. Choose all that apply

• Total voters

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'll start a new topic on this front to gauge interest.

Is there interest in a discussion on the various forms of radio communication available to non military and LEO types?

Is there interest in a class on Amateur Radio Licensing to help prep for the test?

Is there interest in a round table discussion on communications with one or more "Experts?"

Thanks in advance.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have always been interested in getting into amateur radio. It just seems like it takes a pretty good investment to start, then what if I don't like it.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have always been interested in getting into amateur radio. It just seems like it takes a pretty good investment to start, then what if I don't like it.

I advocate purchasing used equipment. Keeping all the boxes manuals and such. and if you find you're not hooked, you can most likely sell the gear for almost exactly what you paid for it.

Ham gear doesn't depreciate the same way guns, cars, and computers do. the IC-746pro I purchased used 5 years old, is identical to the brand new one you might purchase tomorrow :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am very interested. A portable ham set is high on my list of items to get.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I advocate purchasing used equipment. Keeping all the boxes manuals and such. and if you find you're not hooked, you can most likely sell the gear for almost exactly what you paid for it.

Ham gear doesn't depreciate the same way guns, cars, and computers do. the IC-746pro I purchased used 5 years old, is identical to the brand new one you might purchase tomorrow :)

Does one find this used gear on line?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yes, you can find the used gear online. Most hams are going to require you to be licensed before they'll sell you transceivers though. It's not a "legal" requirement, however like guns, hams think it's important to make sure the people getting the goods are "proper persons" :)

places like qrz.com have a swapmeet forum. As does qth.com. There are also a number of Ham Fests, (think the Indy 1500, for hams) including a fairly large one in Fort Wayne in November, and the worlds largest in Dayton OH each March.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Ranges from ~ $200 new for a good handheld. to Thousands for a desktop station.
    you should really convince others they want a class, since how you would use it determines what "it" should be. :)

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I'ts like any other hobby,
    Some guys give or lend equipment, there is tons of used equipment out there.
    You can start with a small older used piece or start at the gold level
    Ebay and Hamfests are a good place to find used , also a place to put a face with a call sign.
    I'm using some equipment here from 1939 and my newest equipment is maybe 5 years old. it all works well and it all has it's own purpose in life
    You have to have an interest in electronics,antennas,or just general conversation with strangers. but there has to be an intertrest or it's no fun.
    It's also something that requires work on your part, to learn some electronics, operating procedure and antenna & propagation therory.
    I have friends north of the boarder that I've been chatting with almost every evening ( from November till March) for the last 3 or 4 years and the past 2 springs have taken trips to Toronto & London ON areas just to meet these guys face to face.
    The whole family stopped by and we had supper with another family 2 years ago we'd never met face to face before that day in Ontario
    I've been a ham going on 31 years now have met and talked with many people over the years some for just a few minutes and others many times. I enjoy it very much.
    I was an Army Mars operator for a while, was and still am in St Joe county CD or RACES, have worked a few special events but have never worked any real disasters, but every time I turn on a piece of equipment or work on an antenna, I am making my self ready if I am ever needed.

I'll admit Ham radio is not what it was 20 or more years ago with cell phones every one has a communicator in thier hand , but I remember 25 years ago we carried hand helds and were able to make phone calls ( autopatch ) from out 2 meter rigs it was really cool.
    But I can tell you if there are ever any emergencies Hams will be there to help and we will be the ones who will communicate while the ones with cell in hand will be very out of touch

Last edited:

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've ham my technician license for over a year now and i love it! I'm studying for my General license right now.

But with minimal investment, I have a 65 watt mobile rig in my SUV and two hand held radios. I also have a borrowed HF rig, but it isn't hooked up currently as I am not licensed to operate with it, yet.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I've ham my technician license for over a year now and i love it! I'm studying for my General license right now.

But with minimal investment, I have a 65 watt mobile rig in my SUV and two hand held radios. I also have a borrowed HF rig, but it isn't hooked up currently as I am not licensed to operate with it, yet.

Sure you are!
    You have voice freqs on 10m and you can use CW on most of the other bands with your tech license.
    10 meter is hit and miss right now but it's still fun trying.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes, I am aware that I can operate on CW, but that means I need to know CW, first! I started studying it, but then my wife and I had another baby. SO now I have three children ages, 5, 3 and 6 months. My children really monopolize my time right now, so learning CW is on hold.

As for the Extra class, I am considering that as well.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    A tech can psk31 on 10 meters correct?

I just got a software defined radio receiver kit for $10, going to try my hand at building it before I jump to the transceiver kit.

Top Bottom