• Gauging Interest. Choose all that apply

• Total voters

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Alright everyone. Let me get my life back in order, get back to Indianapolis, and secure a location.

I'll see about scheduling the following in/near Indianapolis.

1) another "Radio Communications During an Event" type class. *
    2) a technician (element 2) license study class
    3) A round table discussion with communications experts, and those interested in communications. **

* With updates based on discussions at the first one of these.
    ** Experts Please PM me if you're willing to travel near Indy to participate

If you're unable, or unwilling to travel to Indianapolis for the above, but are interested in some/all of it. Provided you can secure a location, people who want to participate, and are willing to work with me on scheduling, I could be convinced to do a little traveling to other parts of the state. Also, there ARE other experts all over the state. Perhaps some of them will step up and offer to do something similar.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've been a ham for 35 years. Lars, I'll be glad to help. Let me know what you need. I'm about an hour north of Indy....

I've been an EC, and or AEC locally for over 20 years.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I would be interested in learning more about the equipment and practical uses.
    I do not know anything about the lingo or proper methods for using a shortwave.
    Now, and don't laugh, but I am already licensed technician and have been for a couple of years.
    A friend down in Florida (who knows my technical abilities) was part of a group of guys all getting their HAM licensing and venturing down that road after decades of writing code for computers.
    He said 'Hey, you are a smart guy you should go take the exam'.
    I spent about 2.5 hours total time studying for the exam (I forgot what day the exam was on until the day of the exam).
    Wasn't bad exam at all and I passed first go round.
    I got my license,a like-new Yaesu 150, even the HAM license plate with my call sign..only problem is I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING!!

I mean, I have built my fair share of 2.4GHz antennas, worked on large geographically distributed microwave computer networks, I understand the physics and electronics side...but I don't know jack about what to say when keying up a mic or what the rules are.

So as crazy as this is going to sound, where exactly do I start?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    So as crazy as this is going to sound, where exactly do I start?

Start the same way you started with firearms.... listen first. Tune around on whatever band/s you're licensed for, and listen to what's going on. Don't be as concerned with the subject matter, as you should be listening to how they speak, that they pause slightly before the other person speaks, how another station "joins" an ongoing conversation, how communications "nets" are conducted, and like that. The ARRL has books on the subject, or contact you local DHS office, and they can tell you who the local ham radio contacts are, and you can "look over their shoulders".

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Broad hobby!

I've been licensed since 1994. My father in law got me interested. After studying for the initial test I found it challenging and fun. Someone else mentioned making "autopatch" calls which was awesome at the time. Patch through to the wife and pick up the gallon of milk on the way home. That was using "2 meter" FM frequencies. I still take my radio with me on trips and listen in to the locals and have some nice chats from time to time.

Not to ramble, but there is many different avenues you can take in amateur radio. There really is something for everyone! Try googling "ARRL". That is the Amateur Radio Relay League. They are the clearinghouse for all things ham. Tons of great info. It's easier than ever to get licensed too.

PappyD aka KG9KF --... ...--

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    FT-857 on the way. I read for the tech and studying the Gen right now.

10 meters was hopping about 4 today. Picked up some beacons and phone from Florida. This was using an old radio shack 10 meter rig and a dipole set about 25-30 feet high in my attic.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom