• INGO Race Poll

• Total voters

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I have noticed that that only a small percentage of avid shooters and 2nd Amendment supporters are of a minority ethnicity. Maybe it is just a local phenomena, but of the several shooting ranges and gun shops I frequent I rarely see any minorities present.

I would like INGO's input on why this may be the case. Do you competitive shooters see the same thing at matches. Training classes seem to have the same problem. Your thoughts.

I can see the "gang banger" jokes coming already, but let's keep it civil. This thread isn't meant to be inflammatory.

Edit: There is a poll attached for anyone willing to participate.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I go to DEB'S gun range in Hessville and see quite a few different race/ ethnic group people shooting. May be because of the area I live in.:dunno:

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    I will give some thoughts. One, the word minority means there are fewer of them therefore there would normally be fewer in a given group.
    Two, My interest in firearms stems from family. My dad had firearms and his dad, etc. Most of my ancestors settled in Indiana originally. Most just after the Civil War but some back to before 1800. Firearms were a daily part of living and the interest is pasted on from generation to generation. I am sure most were rural land owners which makes firearms even more part of your life.
    Three, Still today firearms are more practicle with rural living (especially long-guns). Nice being able to walk outside and shoot targets without the niehbors calling the cops. Look at the "stats" on minorities who live rural. It would probably be very close to what you see as avid shooters.
    It would be interesting to look at your idea from the viewpoint of family interest rather than ethnic interest.

Last edited:

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This is why...

you observe that most shooters in Indiana are "white" or "caucasian".
    Because most people in Indiana meet that description
    (source: Census.gov).

Demographics of Indiana
    By race ----------------White ---Black-- AIAN* Asian NHPI*
    2005 (total population) 89.57% 9.42% 0.63% 1.44% 0.08%

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I'm Scottish and native American. A descendant of slaves and people made extinct thanks to the European Americans. I should really hate everyone but instead I love everyone and blame no man alive today for what was done to my ancestors.

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County

Demographics of Indiana

Guess I was trying to say the same thing but the numbers now speak for them selves. Thanks for the research

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I selected Caucasian, because most of my ancestors are white. I am 25% Cherokee, and there is some Hispanic way back when. I always wonder about when forms want ethnicity. Most of us have some mix somewhere. Why do forms, especially government, always try to pigeon hole us?

I am from the hills of Kentucky, originally (so yes, to all hillbilly bashers, I am one). I grew up around guns. If you had a phobia of guns, back there, you were considered "tetched in the haid."

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    Nahh...... He wants to know how dark you like your bacon!!! :cool:
    Very dark plz..:D

I picked other because I'm a mutt!
    The government and schools really should put "mutt" as an option on forms it would be easier to choose one for people like me :) instead its always Caucasian. African American. Hispanic. Asian. Native American. etc. etc.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home

Demographics of Indiana

I totally agree with this. Also location location location

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I selected Caucasian, because most of my ancestors are white. I am 25% Cherokee, and there is some Hispanic way back when. I always wonder about when forms want ethnicity. Most of us have some mix somewhere. Why do forms, especially government, always try to pigeon hole us?

I am from the hills of Kentucky, originally (so yes, to all hillbilly bashers, I am one). I grew up around guns. If you had a phobia of guns, back there, you were considered "tetched in the haid."
    I don't like the pigeon hole thing either. Why not ask us to check all that apply? I'm white and hispanic. According to .gov I can not be both.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'm a mutt but I'd consider myself Caucasion.
    That being said, I am German/polish/Yup'ic Eskimo!
    Like I said....a Mutt.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    to the OP: yes.
    I'm Scottish and native American. A descendant of slaves and people made extinct thanks to the European Americans. I should really hate everyone but instead I love everyone and blame no man alive today for what was done to my ancestors.
    How can you be a descendant of people who are extinct? wouldn't that make you extinct? Or do you just mean your ancestors are dead? most of mine are dead, too.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    guess i'm german. it goes back 4 generations on both sides but who cares? still classified as caucasian i guess. i still like to shoot.:): :twocents: :ingo:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom