• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Hey gang...

A friend who is an EMT stated to me that Quickclot works but will chemical burn in a wound. He stated that Celox is better and the cost is about the same.

Any opinions on either and the cheapest place to purchase for my BOB?

GONZO!!!

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    For our chainsaw wound kits at work it sounds like we are switching over to Celox from the Quickclot sponge dressings. IIRC the Quickclot sponges don't do the damage that the loose powder did, but we can get the Celox at a better price.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    isn't the point of quikclot to cauterize the wound in order to stop bleeding? instead of say, a hot poker to do the job, it does it chemically?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    From my understanding, newer quik clot does not burn.

The old stuff (pre 2008) was made from non-hydrated zeolite, which could cause burns. The kaolin based versions being produced now are not supposed to cause burns.

I prefer celox, but if you choose quik clot I recommend ensuring you have the newer kaolin based product in your stock.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Take a good trauma class and learn the equipt and management and leave that stuff to the mall ninjas. There is a reason the military got away from it, and 911 EMS never issued it.

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    IIRC the Quickclot sponges don't do the damage that the loose powder did

^^ this is what we were told while in a combat life saver course a few years ago, but i cannot say if its true or not...I've never been unlucky enough to redress a wound that quickclot gauze was used on lol.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My "real" answer is "neither."

If you feel the need for a hemostatic agent, the people whose opinion I respect (like Doc Gunn) suggest that Celox is preferred over QuikClot.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Take a handful of dirt and toss it in the air. Its likely going to blow back in your face. So will quick clot. The burning is heat being released when the quick clot reacts with water in your body. The eye is composed of mostly water, so imagine how that feels. Learn direct pressure

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Take a good trauma class and learn the equipt and management and leave that stuff to the mall ninjas. There is a reason the military got away from it, and 911 EMS never issued it.

THIS ^^^^^

Just like having all that "cool guy" crap on your rifle doesn't make you a better gunfighter , having a bag full of the latest greatest whiz bang wonder gear doesn't make you a better medic .

A few simple things you need to know :

Nobody's truly dead until their warm and dead ,

All bleeding stops eventually ,

Eat your fries first ,

Last but not least , if you drop the baby , pick it up and act like nothing happened . :joke:

joedun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sometimes just pressure isnt enough

Sometimes just pressure is not enough. You can bleed out by the time you coagulate, especially if your on blood thinners! CELOX is the only one proven to create the pseudo clot by coagulating the blood even for those that are taking that medication.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    seriously...learn proper wound management. Your better off applying pressure, clean bandages, and or using a torniquet if you have too. Using a product your not trained on can make things worse. especially in a tramatic wound. how many times have i met someone who said they would just pour the magical pixie dust of quick clot/celox into a wound Alot...how many know what to do other than that very few.

Top Bottom