• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Lets say you are sitting in the restaurant midmeal with your family just enjoying yourself. You are carrying a pistol, be it OC or accidentally exposed CC, and somebody noticed. The manager asks you to leave, do you leave your food on the table and leave or do you pack your food up in a to-go container? Do you pay? Do you leave tips?

Hasn't happened to me, however I've always been curious of this situation.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I get up and leave immediately. Being that I'm leaving immediately, I'm not able to pay. If I'm asked to pay, then I'll pay, but I'll expect my food to be given to me.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Get up and leave. If they ask you to leave before you have finished your meal, it is on them, IMHO.

This has been discussed and is not true. They will call the law on you for theft or some similar charge.

I'm sure one of our LEO members will verify this shortly.

My approach would be, "Very well. Bring my food to me outside and I'll pay for it, since I'm unwelcome here." There would be a "No gun, no $" card waiting as well, and I'd be speaking to the owner or manager the next day, as well as dropping a note to corporate if there is such a place. I'd probably not post it until I had a resolution to the situation to post.

I'm undecided on whether or not I'd tip the server. It would depend on the service received and possibly on if I thought that's who was responsible for reporting me to the manager. Tipping well after being told to leave would tend to make ill thoughts of gun owners more obviously inappropriate, but might also be taken as rewarding that action.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    This has been discussed and is not true. They will call the law on you for theft or some similar charge.

I'm sure one of our LEO members will verify this shortly.

My approach would be, "Very well. Bring my food to me outside and I'll pay for it, since I'm unwelcome here." There would be a "No gun, no $" card waiting as well, and I'd be speaking to the owner or manager the next day, as well as dropping a note to corporate if there is such a place. I'd probably not post it until I had a resolution to the situation to post.

I'm undecided on whether or not I'd tip the server. It would depend on the service received and possibly on if I thought that's who was responsible for reporting me to the manager. Tipping well after being told to leave would tend to make ill thoughts of gun owners more obviously inappropriate, but might also be taken as rewarding that action.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Then I would fight it in a court of law (like that means much anymore). When a person goes to a restaurant for a meal, not only are they paying for a meal, but the service that come with the meal. If I was told to leave before the service was complete, ie: leave before I finished my meal, they can go pi** up a rope. What will happen next, you order your meal, get it delivered to your table, and told to leave because your shirt is the wrong color, while the restaurant still collects its money.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I would surely not pay for my meal. I HIGHLY doubt any restaurant who would actually kick you out would then call the police, look up video footage and convince the police to try and track you down based on your picture or convince the police to open an investigation on the said 'theft'.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont see why I would pay.If they dont want me in the restaurant it means they dont want me as a custumer, so they are not getting my money.That's just logic.
    If they want me to pay for what I eated already I guess I can still force myself to :puke: to give them their food back.
    I would not take away the food I havent touched.They can bring it back to the kitchen and explain the chef why this custumer could not eat it.
    I would leave a "no gun = no money" card instead of the tip.
    And of course I would advertise the restaurant on INGO.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Maybe try to negotiate. "now i ate approximately 37% of my meal. the price was $22.97. Now lets factor in the 20% tip... well now ive decided to make it 10%. So what's 37% of $22.97 + 10% of 37% of $22.97..... Really, im trying to figure out how much money to pay you before I leave as requested.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I would leave immediately. I would not offer to pay on my way out the door, but I would not refuse if asked to. I would definitely be giving them a "No guns/No money" card. I would be as polite as possible.

Think about this... if you make a scene, are rude, refuse to pay, or call names on your way out... the manager is going to go home that night and think about what happened and determine that gun owners are mean, and that he definitely did the right thing. If you are polite, mature, and leave as requested, the manager might go home that night and think about what happened and wonder if he did the right thing. Then when you go back unarmed the next day to have a conversation with him or his supervisor, your chances are better for getting their policy changed. Kind of a "kill them with kindness" thing.

I have had to make difficult decisions before which affected people in a negative way. Every single time that someone has responded negatively to my decision, it has confirmed in my mind that I made the right decision.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I would get up and leave immediately. I haven't received the goods and services that I agreed to pay for, so they will not receive payment for them. On a side note; if I have ordered, but not yet completed, my meal do I now have a contractual interest in this property until I have finished and paid for my meal?

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    Wow!

I guess I'm just not the evangelical kind of person.

I'd go lock my gun up in my vehicle, come back and finish my meal with my family, assuming he'd be ok with me sitting there without my gun.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    To charge you with theft, they have to show your intent to convert/steal. But their action in ejecting you superseded any intent you might have had. I would not say it's a cut-and-dried case of theft.

What is weird about these scenarios is that if you were an insane gunman intent on causing havoc, you're not likely to leave in response to their request, so the whole situation is preposterous. (Not the OP's post, as I'm sure this happens quite frequently around the US.)

Only a law-abiding and considerate person would leave peacefully. But a law-abiding and considerate person is actually NO problem at all for the establishment.

The manager is making a lot of assumptions in approaching you. If you're the kind of person he doesn't want in his establishment, then approaching you may well precipitate exactly the incident he's afraid of.:n00b:

For a slight variation, what about a restaurant, business, etc., that allowed you to carry, as long as you CC?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Wow!

I'd go lock my gun up in my vehicle, come back and finish my meal with my family, assuming he'd be ok with me sitting there without my gun.

And what happens when another patron in the restaurant, or someone who happens to be sitting in their vehicle in the parking lot sees you go to your vehicle with a firearm, but come back without one. They know the exact place to look for a quick score. While you are in the restaurant finishing your meal, they are smashing your window and taking your gun.

Sure it is a remote possibility at best, but the chances of you being attacked are just as remote. But you still carry a gun.

ETA: Many years ago when I first started carrying, I took my gun back to my vehicle when asked to do so. I have since determined that I will not be disarmed again. That place will lose my business. Period.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow!

I have done this at a bar before. Owner was nice about it and I complied. If with the family we would all be packing so we would all leave. If the waitress dimed us...no tip....if a patron then tip, pay and stick your tongue out at the patron in question. Childish I know but it is far better than a swift kick in the groin and more jail time. (More jail time???)
    You would be a hero if some mindless idiot came in and started shooting up the place and you dropped him. People are to interested in running everyone else's lives these days. So tender.:rolleyes:

mpitcock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Lafayette
    If asked to leave...I leave. I will leave a tip based on how much of the meal I was allowed to enjoy and the quality of service up to that point.

There will be no payment for the meal as I have been refused service...which is their right.

Top Bottom