• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, total NFA newb here so I apologize for the lack of knowledge (and I'm sure more silly posts to come later on, haha). I'm thinking I want to get into some NFA items a bit. SBR, suppressors, etc. Trust seems to be the way to go.

Do I need to pay a lawyer or website a bunch of money to get it set up? Can I take an existing Trust, re-type the whole thing with my information on it, and have it notarized and be good to go? I've heard its possible, but can't find anything yay or nay.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, you can draw your own trust. The question is, are you comfortable going against .gov with your home made trust?

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And with my general lack of knowledge in this area (because I've never really looked into it before) that's what scares me. I have a copy of a friend's trust that he listed me on so I have a "template" if you will, but yea still seems sketchy I guess?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I personally would be comfortable doing that, but you may not be.

Also, trusts in Indiana do not have to be notarized. Mine has signatures and addresses listed for a couple witnesses, and ATF took that as OK. That trust owns one stamp currently, and I'm in the last couple days of deciding what to buy next (which may or may not require another stamp).

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My trust was created by my attorney and is really nothing special. It would be easy to copy and replace every instance of "ol' poke" with "cschwanz" and submit it. I doubt the ATF would blink. BUT (big but!), if you ever had to argue the validity of the trust to the authorities, I'd rather contact the attorney that drafted it for backup. I look at paying a professional as a type of insurance.

IANAL, and this is my opinion only.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My trust was created by my attorney and is really nothing special. It would be easy to copy and replace every instance of "ol' poke" with "cschwanz" and submit it. I doubt the ATF would blink. BUT (big but!), if you ever had to argue the validity of the trust to the authorities, I'd rather contact the attorney that drafted it for backup. I look at paying a professional as a type of insurance.

IANAL, and this is my opinion only.

I think that may be the best logic. CYA at its finest

Top Bottom