• ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Cross-posted from the AR thread . . .

So I just jumped on a barrel at PSA to finish my 300 Blackout build. I figure if I don't like it it's cheap enough to swap out easily enough.

PTAC AR15 300BO PL 16" 1/8 Nitride Barrel

Any opinions? PTAC seems to be a mixed bag for assembly quality, but I built my own upper, presumably their individual parts should be decent enough, right?

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have no hands on with PTAC, but thats mostly because of all the negatives I've read. I would thoroughly inspect every inch of that barrel before assembly and use. Check the gas port, the throat, the rifling, the extension, everything. Just my :twocents:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    like other posters above, I've heard a lot of negative feedback on PTAC gear in general. But, a lot of people want caviar and champaign on a hotdog-and-beer budget.
    As long as you're not expecting sub-MOA, I bet this thing would run ok for you.

BUT.... wouldn't that blow back LOTS of gunk/gas --- a 16" rifle with a PISTOL length gas tube = LOTS of dwell time

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    like other posters above, I've heard a lot of negative feedback on PTAC gear in general. But, a lot of people want caviar and champaign on a hotdog-and-beer budget.
    As long as you're not expecting sub-MOA, I bet this thing would run ok for you.

BUT.... wouldn't that blow back LOTS of gunk/gas --- a 16" rifle with a PISTOL length gas tube = LOTS of dwell time

"The main exception to the rule is weird calibers. With 5.56x45mm NATO the chart is perfect, but when you have things like .300 AAC Blackout that have different pressures and such it gets complicated. 300BLK is recommended to have a carbine length system for anything 16+ inches and a pistol length system for anything under 16 due to the powder being used, but in general you should listen to the manufacturer’s recommendation for what system to use."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/ask-foghorn-gas-system-length-ar-15/

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Not to steal your thread....

So all one would need is a 300 blackout barrel and just swap out the barrels and you are good to go? I am building one now and have a 16 inch PSA complete upper and would love to shoot 300.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    No worries! Just would need to swap out the barrel and theoretically the gas tube and block based on what the barrel is designed for. I was considering an 18" match barrel with a carbine gas system, but it was also almost 300 bucks just for the barrel. I figure a $90 investment is worth seeing if I like the round before I sink that much cash into it.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Got the barrel today, the rifling looks clean and the exterior of the barrel doesn't have any scuffs or marks. Will try putting it on and taking it for a spin this weekend!

Top Bottom