• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I think that the Officer should have been a complete Professional and not spoken to you that way and he should have written the ticket, instead of letting you off with a verbal warning.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    If I recall correctly, he said his gun was right by his wallet. What would have happened if he reached around for the wallet and the officer saw the gun? He would have/should have turned around to a gun in his face.

No excuse for the officer's bad behavior, but the gun was not under the seat. Telling the officer was the smart move to me. :twocents: Now, go and file that report!

Thank you!

That's why I always inform them I have a gun. Like the OP my gun is holstered on my right hip and my wallet is on my right :moon:. I'd rather possibly have to deal with a JA for a few mins than go home with a couple new holes.

It's not like I get pulled over all the time but all my encounters so far has been pretty professional in my opinion. That could be though I just have that nice guy look about me :evilangel:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The above has happened to most LEOS and they hardly talk about it because it is over. He was trained self preservation is first, apolgises later. The afterward questions sounds like after game quarterbacking, who is getting even with who. Volunteer as a reserve police officer somewhere and see how you do at 0300 am. Also try your skills at CPR,AED, and others after answering a 10-50/fatal(auto accident,people died) with teenagers involved. Hones you pretty sharp.Then attend coroners inquest for cause of death for the same. Now, physically go and tell the parents what happened with their loved ones, and who will sweat the curse words on a traffic stop? Drive safe.

:nopity: if its so bad go find a new job, in the real world where you can sit down and relax 60% of your shift like most LEO's can.

oh and i am a certified first responder, which is more advanced training than a lot of LEO's are required to get. also ive had to use my training to save a life in the Army and in civilian life. and ive had to end them too, and how do i get past it and lead a happy life?? I dont dwell on it. I hate sob stories from people who know what they were signing up for.

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    Why do people wait until the cop shows up before getting out their license and registration? In countless threads here, we hear of folks having to politely inform the POPO that they can't get to their info because their CQB MK-V Tactial Destroyer is in the way. Have that **** ready. Is your glovebox so jacked full of stuff that you'd have to dig for your reg? It should be so simple.. cop walks up, window starts down, cops asks, info is passed. No mention is made of my gun.
    THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT A GOOD IDEA. reaching around for stuff after you get pulled over is a FAST way to make them nervous. Once you see those lights, put your darn hands on the steering wheel immediately. This has helped me to a 100% pull over with no ticket record over the last 7 years(im cursed since im talking about it now). Why do you think that when they pull suspected criminals over, the first thing they say is, PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM.

To everyone saying that I should never tell unless they ask, my personal belief is that If i was in the business of confronting strangers, I would feel much better about being informed. all laws aside, the golden rule applies to me here. ( treat others as you would like to be treated)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I would have laughed, and told him we had a deal. The officer shouldn't be cussing like that, it does tend to irritate some folks.

Of course, the officer wouldn't have said that to me in the first place, because I wouldn't have told him. No more need to go telling him I'm carrying a gun than there is the myriads of other folks I meet during the course of daily business.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    THIS IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT A GOOD IDEA. reaching around for stuff after you get pulled over is a FAST way to make them nervous. Once you see those lights, put your darn hands on the steering wheel immediately.
    Why do you think having the information ready ahead of time is a bad idea? Personally, I'd rather him see my shoulder twitch for a second as I grab my registration and license (which is all he'll see in most vehicles), than run the risk of him having a bad day and letting me spend the traffic stop cuffed against my trunk while he disarms me and runs the numbers on my piece.

Having the info ready for the officer (and turning on the dome light at night) makes for an easy stop, IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Why do you think that when they pull suspected criminals over, the first thing they say is, PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM.
    This is a completely different animal. I have never had an officer say that. Only 2 speeding tickets in my 22 years of driving, too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Was pulled over for my license plate lights being burnt out. Was told to grab my license and registration. I politely said(since I believe in informing them so they don't have to find it.) "Sir, Just so you are aware, my handgun is right next to my wallet. Would you like me to step out to grab my wallet?"

Purdue Police Officer "No, just don't pull your gun on me, or ill F*****g shoot you!"

Trying to keep the mood light, I responded "That sounds like it would be a fair trade to me" and gave him my ingo. excuse me, my info. I then started my voice recorder.

He came back, in much more of a polite mood and said(I recorded this part, shame on me for missing that first gem) , "Robert, why don't you go ahead and put your hands out the window for a second, thank you, so I appreciate you lettin me know about.. usually its easier if you stay in so we're not face to face... get your light fixed...just a warning...I appreciate you telling me... have a good night."

I wish I would have told him that I didn't appreciate him stating the obvious in such a threatening manner, maybe I just felt that It was his own sarcastic take on the situation, and really didn't feel disrespected. but i'm to non confrontational for that.

He did NOT ask me to take out my weapon, and for that, I'm willing to balance this whole thing out into a +1 for purdue police.

I guess in his defense, I had a bright green backwards hat on for saint pattys day, and I was leaving the bars at 3:00 AM(Completely 0.00 sober mind you)

Anyways. thats my story. The recording is almost exactly how I typed it.

3AM on a party night, he was just checking you out. They don't care if you EVER fix that light it's like a free pass for them to pull you over any time any where and interrogate and investigate. He tried to provoke you a little bit after it didn't appear you were drunk to see how you would react and perhaps give your self away if there was a little more to the stop than it looked, that's all.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess that was his "sense of humor" if you wanna call it that? But there is no reason to act like that if the citizen tells you upfront and compliant like. I'm 26 and a former Marine and have SEMPER FI stickers on my car but the last time I was pulled over, I gave the trooper my military ID, drivers licence, pink card insurance and registration, he asked if I had a weapon and I said yes sir. He said and I quote "why the eff didn't you tell me up front you had a gun you little sh.., being 24 and just home from my last tour I told him i was not obligated to yell you I was armed. The trooper went ape sh.. He opened my door and basically pulled my out of my car and told my to face the car. I was handcuffed, dissarmed, and put face down on the hood of his car.
    So I'm mad as heck now but tryin to keep my cool. He calls for backup. I'm red in the face at this point. Long story short, he let's me go, no warning or ticket for whatever violation I had commuted. I ask for his name, badge # and head officer name and he goes "boy you just don't know when to quit do ya?, get in your car and get outta here"... I reported him at the next gas station I was at and I do believe he got what was commin... How bout them apples

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I guess that was his "sense of humor" if you wanna call it that? But there is no reason to act like that if the citizen tells you upfront and compliant like. I'm 26 and a former Marine and have SEMPER FI stickers on my car but the last time I was pulled over, I gave the trooper my military ID, drivers licence, pink card insurance and registration, he asked if I had a weapon and I said yes sir. He said and I quote "why the eff didn't you tell me up front you had a gun you little sh.., being 24 and just home from my last tour I told him i was not obligated to yell you I was armed. The trooper went ape sh.. He opened my door and basically pulled my out of my car and told my to face the car. I was handcuffed, dissarmed, and put face down on the hood of his car.
    So I'm mad as heck now but tryin to keep my cool. He calls for backup. I'm red in the face at this point. Long story short, he let's me go, no warning or ticket for whatever violation I had commuted. I ask for his name, badge # and head officer name and he goes "boy you just don't know when to quit do ya?, get in your car and get outta here"... I reported him at the next gas station I was at and I do believe he got what was commin... How bout them apples

Same thing happened to my good friend several years ago, except he was already out of the car. The officer saw him swerve (not knowing to miss something in the road) and followed him into the parking lot. It was a hot day and he took off his button down shirt and was wearing a t-shirt only. When the officer saw his gun, he sprinted towards him (didn't have his light on or anything), grabbed his arm and pushed him into the car. My friend covered his gun and when he realized it was a police officer put his hands on the hood. The officer (not to smart...like in the movies) took the gun out of the holster and through it on the ground. When he patted my friend down he pulled out his wallet...Boy you should have seen the rookies face when he saw the shield! Yes my friend...an officer...close friends with the rookie's chief. When the rookie asked "why didn't you tell me" all I heard was "you never asked kid. Hell you almost got your ass kicked"

Needless to say he was lucky...anyone else probably would have gotten in a lot more trouble other than replacemnet of a once pristene Colt Defender and a few more weeks back with a FTO. My friend didn't press or pursue it any farther. He also did the rookie a favor and saved him some money...went with a Kimber Pro Carry.

I am trying to get him to join INGO...if he does I will have him post the story from the horses mouth.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    WOW. see thats why people need to report things. everytime a dirty cop gets away with breaking the law or violating the rights of citizens all it does is validate their authority in their mind. thats why they dont like stood up to, because it doesnt happen usually from the good guys. sure a bad guy will taunt and fight with police because they know they are already screwed. good guys wont unless pushed to the brink.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It took just about all my will power not to cop an attitude! I respect authority and have had my fair share of bein chewed out, bein spit on and what not but man, there's a line that Just shouldn't be crossed!

But back to the PUPD officer... I'd be pissed if I worked at PU too! Lol

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Its a shame that we live in a society where every one uses a four letter word when talking about anything. When I was a kid growing up you used a four letter word you got your mouth washed out with soap. Today you try to wash out a kids mouth out with soap you go to jail for child abuse. There is no need to talk that way it is just the way it is in todays society.

Where did you grow up Lala-land? I agree it was rude of the officer but if he chooses to cuss in other situations who cares. This isn't about using Curse words this is about the cop being rude. I respect your opinion but thought i would offer my .02.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    File a complaint with his Dept. We are all tired of the police harrassing the law-abiding citizens of Indiana by making "threats" and possibly making citizens "fear for there lives". LEO's need evaluations when they act like this. Before somebody gets hurt.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    True this was a fishing trip and you never got the invite. The first thing you could have done was turn on the recorder. Only reason not to retrieve your info is no time. You don't even have to rush and once stopped you can hold your wallet in your hand on the wheel.
    I have learned some ISP mid/low level leadership has a bias against all the PTSD vets roaming about. I cannot seem to forgive myself for not catching that lecture/rant with names on recording.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah there is deffinately prejudice by a lot of police against returning vets. thats for sure. i would never give them my ID card. no reason, cops dont even have securty clearance to get into your military business, nor should they.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    yeah there is deffinately prejudice by a lot of police against returning vets. thats for sure. i would never give them my ID card. no reason, cops dont even have securty clearance to get into your military business, nor should they.

HUH??:rolleyes:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    file a complaint on the guy. hes no better than you are. dont let them talk down at you. also why tell them you have a gun? its none of their business. and onece again a cop threatens a civilians life over a hypothetical situation thats never gonna happen. too bad you didnt get it on tape or you would own his ***

I disagree about filing about filing a complaint. I am taking it from the description that the officer apologized to the OP for his words. Personally I'd accept the apology in this situation. He didn't have to surrender his weapon and he wasn't dragged out of the car. And frankly I swear at times too, so I am taking it lightly especially since there was an apology. Just my :twocents:.

Purdue Police has always appeared very professional to me. A very few of their officers have a strong tendency to down talk to you like you're some teenager in need of a pep talk. While that may fly with an 18 year old, I don't appreciate it. But most of the officers I have encountered have been very friendly and professional. I am not familiar though what the overall take on firearms is. Different officers have told me different things over the last couple years.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008

The OP story I am taking as sense of humor. Your story. Unexcusable. I hope you filed a written complaint with the state police for this behavior. As long as you were friendly to the officer I don't see any reason why he would have to act in such a rude fashion.

Top Bottom