• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You don't joke with total strangers like that. Two buddies, maybe. That is the difference between a professional setting and a casual setting. I maintain that this officer was way out of line.

Further, he could have made his joke w/o swearing, if he felt that levity was what the situation needed. From what I read, it wasn't meant as a funny joke between two old chaps. Listen, I'm not some church mouse, and I understand that people swear, but I don't see how it was necessary or appropriate here. The sad thing is this is quite possibly a reflection of how this officer deals with people on a daily basis.

Last edited:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I'm not telling them anything about a gun , it was a routine traffic stop , and he didn't ask if there were any weapons in the vehicle.
    He wasn't concerned until after the OP stated he had a gun, at which point the cop lost his professionalism.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm not telling them anything about a gun , it was a routine traffic stop , and he didn't ask if there were any weapons in the vehicle.
    He wasn't concerned until after the OP stated he had a gun, at which point the cop lost his professionalism.

I certainly agree he shouldn't have offered up info. Hopefully he learns his lesson.

At the risk of splitting hairs, I'd say the cop wasn't a professional long before the OP told about the gun. If he were polite and self-controlled, he wouldn't have reacted in such an inappropriate way. In other words- unnecessary telling the officer that you have a gun is not justification for the officer then swearing and threatening you. There are better ways to deal with it, period.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

If I recall correctly, he said his gun was right by his wallet. What would have happened if he reached around for the wallet and the officer saw the gun? He would have/should have turned around to a gun in his face.

No excuse for the officer's bad behavior, but the gun was not under the seat. Telling the officer was the smart move to me. :twocents: Now, go and file that report!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    OK I've read through all the responses in this thread and I have a different conclusion.
    During the dozen or so traffic stops over the course of my life, I have discovered that the police don't like you to get out of your car.
    I don't know why, but I have been asked to stay in the car more than once.
    I even asked on officer that was particularly friendly and he told me straight up that it's safer for him if I stay in the car.

So, that being said, there is this.
    usually its easier if you stay in so we're not face to face...
    I believe the officers reaction was more to the offer to 'step out to grab my wallet' than anything else. From the OP the officer seemed to be very gun friendly and even thanked him for informing.

We tend to focus on gun related issues here (obviously) and miss other details sometimes.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Being sarcastic is in my nature so I would've took it as a joke .

With all the threads about LEO's doing wrong , I'd say this is a post about an officer doing it right .

The OP got off with a warning , much better than a ticket or court appearance any day .

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm an "older dude", last time I got pulled over (the only time in the last 10 or 15 years), the conversation started like this:

Officer : "What the f*** was that s***?".
    Me: "Excuse me?"
    Officer : "You know w.t.f. I'm talking about, give me your G.D. driver's license".

No ticket, no warning and the scum bag was in civilian clothes so no I had no name with which to file a report.

I had a lady in the car.

My horrible crime? I moved to the right lane to turn and realized too late I needed to turn left instead and switched back to the other lane.

Now that one has a problem. Inexcusable and I hope he has a short career. Most cops have 10x more class than that. :noway:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    was it Purdue PD for sure? sounds like a West Lafayette officer i know..
    What one tries to deliver as a joke is not received as a joke..
    He may have been trying to be funny, then relized he crossed a line.. then it the right thin and got back to being polite..

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Hey, we're all human and we all make mistakes. He messed up but he made it right with his polite demeanor afterward and a warning. He didn't treat you like a criminal. I say let it slide this time.

Really? He made up for it? I must have missed the part where the officer apologized for using profanity toward someone who was being polite toward him.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    PEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW purdue!!

even if they ask if there are any weapons in the car just refuse to answer their question. they cant make you talk to them. dont lie, just dont answer. never lie to a cop or then your ACE is GRASS

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Why do people wait until the cop shows up before getting out their license and registration? In countless threads here, we hear of folks having to politely inform the POPO that they can't get to their info because their CQB MK-V Tactial Destroyer is in the way. Have that **** ready. Is your glovebox so jacked full of stuff that you'd have to dig for your reg? It should be so simple.. cop walks up, window starts down, cops asks, info is passed. No mention is made of my gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Agreed- use a binder clip and attach your info to the sun visor above the driver. Problem solved. Getting to your wallet is another issue. Personally I'd get to that as soon as I saw the lights, but before you stop, if possible. Don't want officer think you are reaching for something else. If you cant get wallet out w/o looking suspicious, just wait. You can probably still get wallet out w/o exposing gun. You do that during your daily shopping, dont you? (Nevermind the OCers :)

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    This is disappointing.

I have had quite a bit of experience with the Purdue Police, and the majority of those interactions have actually increased my respect of LEO.

The officer should not have treated you that way.

BUT, I don't think he should be severely charged or anything. Foolish on his part, but it does appear that he made some attempts to repair the damage with his later comments.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the government finaly admitted the truth about how Pat Tillman died too, after they had covered it up. and then they said "sorry". i dont think that made any difference to his family either.

when someone goes over the top, saying sorry just realy doesnt matter. at least not to me. it doesnt do anything to fix the action that was wrong.

I also dont believe in going out a breaking every moral or legal rule known to man and then confessing about it to your preacher to make it right and then going to do it again and then repeat step 2.

sometimes cops and civilians need more than a slap on the wrist to set a precident for future cases to look at and maybe not repeat. you hear judges say al the time "im gonna make an example out of you" i dont think ive heard it said to a cop but i would pay money to hear and see it.

r.o.b.o.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    I think everyone missed the main problem here........You left the bar at 3 am with a 0.00 BAC?????

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    One of the pre reqs for law enforcement is attendance to Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. The classes there are taught by all kinds of federal,state,county,and other experienced LEOs. Most officers learn the good and bad from other officers. The academy teaches courtesy as well as tactics, FTOs teach the rest over a cup of java on the shift. Sometimes an officer goes mustang on the rest and you hear the complaints. People will complain about a warning just like a ticket, so it gets to the point of "so what","oh well"and etc.
    At 0300 hrs it is a usual drunk stop, so sometimes it is better to let the officer do the asking and a courteous response from the subject. How would you like to hold court on the side of the road with a guy who looks at you and says"take me drunk occifer, I'm stupid home?" Now interject a loaded firearm and a sober guy throwing that on your plate?" The officer cut the stop off, gave a short ending and moved on to really stop someone who could kill you on your way to work or walk your dog at 0500 am.

The above has happened to most LEOS and they hardly talk about it because it is over. He was trained self preservation is first, apolgises later. The afterward questions sounds like after game quarterbacking, who is getting even with who. Volunteer as a reserve police officer somewhere and see how you do at 0300 am. Also try your skills at CPR,AED, and others after answering a 10-50/fatal(auto accident,people died) with teenagers involved. Hones you pretty sharp.Then attend coroners inquest for cause of death for the same. Now, physically go and tell the parents what happened with their loved ones, and who will sweat the curse words on a traffic stop? Drive safe.

Top Bottom