Purchasing a handgun for home, with no LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • New2Gunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indy East
    I'm new on here and also pretty new to guns. I've never owned a gun before. I live on the near eastside of Indy and a lot of these shootings and murders are getting really close to my home. I want to purchase a handgun for home protection. I'm wondering what is the process of buying a handgun from a shop with no LTCH. Any and all input from you experts out there is greatly appreciated.:ingo:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    You don't need a LTCH to purchase. All you need is to be a resident of the state who is legally able to possess a firearm. After that you just need money. I also suggest some training or at the very least plenty of range time. Welcome to the club and be forewarned gun ownership can be addictive.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hi and welcome. I'm fairly new to handguns also, and I just purchased my first gun a month ago for the same reason as you. I took the NRA First Steps course, and I would highly recommend it or something similar. There are links here in the forum with information about training.

TNT5315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    Morgan county
    The background check is all done online now, so take your id and as long as you are legally allowed to purchase a firearm you should be fine. I would doing a lot if research as far as what you are wanting to purchase. If you walk into a LGS without a clue as to what you want, you will be very overwhelmed at the number of choices that are out there. You also need to decide how you plan to store it once you get it home, being responsible with a firearm has to be your first priority.
    You may want to look into if anybody has a place to "rent" a gun and see what caliber you like and are comfortable with. After you make a purchase take a class on safe operation and practice regularly with it.

Good or luck and have fun with it.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    You don't need a LTCH to purchase. All you need is to be a resident of the state who is legally able to possess a firearm. After that you just need money. I also suggest some training or at the very least plenty of range time. Welcome to the club and be forewarned gun ownership can be addictive.

This here..... drivers license and money is all you need.... and to pass a back ground check

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    IC 35-47-2-1 Carrying a handgun without being licensed

Long ago there was an advantage to having an LTCH when purchasing a handgun. Now the process is the same whether you have an LTCH or not. Regarding where you can carry a handgun without an LTCH see below:

IC 35-47-2-1 Version a
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1.
    (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;​
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:​
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or(C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;​
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:​
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;​
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:​
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and​
    (C) secured in a case; or​
    (5) the person carries the handgun:​
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.​
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;​
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:​
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting; an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or​
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.​
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35; P.L.164-2011, SEC.1; P.L.6-2012, SEC.231.

IC 35-47-2-1 Version b
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1.
    (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;​
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:​
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or​
    (C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;​
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:​
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case;​
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:​
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or​
    (5) the person carries the handgun:​
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.​
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;​
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:​
    (A) prohibits; or​
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting; an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or​
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.​
    (e) A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this section commits a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Level 5 felony:
    (1) if the offense is committed:​
    (A) on or in school property;
    (B) within five hundred (500) feet of school property; or​
    (C) on a school bus; or​
    (2) if the person:​
    (A) has a prior conviction of any offense under:​
    (i) this section; or​
    (ii) section 22 of this chapter; or​
    (B) has been convicted of a felony within fifteen (15) years before the date of the offense.​
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35; P.L.164-2011, SEC.1; P.L.6-2012, SEC.231; P.L.158-2013, SEC.573.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm new on here and also pretty new to guns. I've never owned a gun before. I live on the near eastside of Indy and a lot of these shootings and murders are getting really close to my home. I want to purchase a handgun for home protection. I'm wondering what is the process of buying a handgun from a shop with no LTCH. Any and all input from you experts out there is greatly appreciated.:ingo:

Welcome to INGO.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Welcome to Ingo. I suggest if your new to firearms to get some kind of training, formal or otherwise. There are alot of things you NEED to know before you start handling firearms.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I bought my first handgun back in April for the same reason, home defense. For a few months I didn't do anything except keep it on my nightstand, but I never felt comfortable with it. I finally started going to the range a couple months ago and it's made a world of difference. Get training and/or range time in to get competent and confident with your weapon. Even if you don't want to shoot competition, or carry outside of the home, you should feel comfortable with the gun and know you can shoot what you aim for. I now carry mine and feel a lot more comfortable. Planning to take some training in the next month or two to get even more comfortable. Another plus is that I find going to the range a lot of fun. I go pretty much every weekend and really enjoy it. It's a great stress reliever. Like others have said, you don't need your LTCH to get a handgun, but it's not a bad idea to also get the LTCH. The process is very fast nowadays (around 6 business days) if you do the electronic fingerprinting and have no problems on your record. I picked up a Glock 19 compact 9mm for my first handgun and recommend it. Great starter gun. Very reliable and simple to take care of. Good luck.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I thought they changed the law to where you can carry a loaded handgun in your car?

No sir. It was modified to allow the transport of handguns (unloaded and in a secure container placed out of reach) without the LTCH. This will allow the OP, should he/she purchase a handgun, to transport it to and from a range (be it public or private) to practice.
    Basically, To be in possession of a loaded handgun outside ones own property one must either be on private property with permission, a range facility, or have a valid LTCH.
    I believe the pertinent IC is quoted above, so I wont duplicate it.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    You will find multiple schools of thought on home defense weapons and certainly many prefer a pump-action shotgun. I am more comfortable with a handgun and my "nightstand" gun is a Glock 21. I chose this for a few reasons:

1) The .45 ACP is known for its stopping power and delivering its energy to the target rather than passing through.
    2) The Glock 21 is large, heavy, and holds a lot of ammo. 13 rounds in the magazine + 1 in the chamber and I keep an extra mag loaded with it. Being large and heavy, it's not very concealable but I'm not EDC-ing it, and I want something that I won't be fumbling with in the middle of the night.
    3) The Glock 21 (and Glocks in general) are well made, reliable, relatively inexpensive, and simple to operate. All pluses IMHO.

Welcome to INGO!

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Glocks are great, but this:
    The .45 ACP is known for its stopping power and delivering its energy to the target rather than passing through.
    is nonsense. Modern loadings in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, and .357Magnum all perform similarly, and "stopping power" is, at best, not a valuable metric.

The OP would be well-served by quality handgun in a service caliber, a quality pump action shotgun in 12ga, or a quality semiautomatic rifle such as an AR as long as s/he is willing to train with it.

New2Gunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Indy East

ok didn't think I needed ltch

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom