Purchasing a handgun for home, with no LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Do gunshops do background checks on the spot. I plan on visiting a few Lgs Friday.

Yes, it's usually around 5-10 minute process for the phone call. Plus you will need to fill out a form 4473 (federal firearm transaction form) which should take an additional few minutes.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Great thread. I am also new to gun ownership. Bought my first one 2 years ago. I applied for my LTCH, bought quality gun(s), and quality holsters. If I have pants on... My recommendation, range time. With 10,000 rounds down range I'm no expert, but I am comfortable with the mechanics and safe operation.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Great thread. I am also new to gun ownership. Bought my first one 2 years ago. I applied for my LTCH, bought quality gun(s), and quality holsters. If I have pants on... My recommendation, range time. With 10,000 rounds down range I'm no expert, but I am comfortable with the mechanics and safe operation.

As a complete n00b to owning a handgun, I can agree. That's the takeaway I've gotten from reading some of these informative threads is to become competent and confident with your handgun of choice. I now go to the range once a week and plan to take some training classes as well so I understand my rights and obligations, as well as what to do in specific situations. Don't just buy a gun, go to the range once or twice, stick it on your bedside table and think you're protected.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    As a complete n00b to owning a handgun, I can agree. That's the takeaway I've gotten from reading some of these informative threads is to become competent and confident with your handgun of choice. I now go to the range once a week and plan to take some training classes as well so I understand my rights and obligations, as well as what to do in specific situations. Don't just buy a gun, go to the range once or twice, stick it on your bedside table and think you're protected.

:+1:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Welcome to INGO. Lots of advice to be had here. One thing I'd add is to avoid a couple of local gun shops that will do you wrong. The biggest one to avoid is Don's. They stay in business because people that don't know guns see their advertisements and think that's what all gun shops are like. Their goal is to pull as much money out of your pocket as they can and they are pretty good at that. Instead, there are a bunch of smaller gun shops all over the city that are great to deal with. My favorites are The Outdoorsman (Greenwood), US Defense Solutions (Greenwood), Bradis (Camby) and Plainfield Shooting Supply (Plainfield). There are more that can be recommended by others on this site but those are the ones I frequent because they treat people well. Some are kind of cliquey and put a lot of people off like Elmore's in Greenwood. The one's above will do a good job of explaining different features of a gun and are more than happy to let you check out what they have. Prices vary from shop to shop, but all will dicker a bit on price. Don't be afraid to ask.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sweet spot. You gain almost nothing in shoot ability of the 17 over the 19, only give up a measly 2 rounds, and have a more carry-friendly package. Both would be fine, but the 19 is the "Goldilocks Gun"-- it's "just right."

^^^^ This ^^^^

Add to that the ability of the Glock 19 to use Glock 17 mags and you have one less reason to carry the extra size the 17 comes with. The dimensions look pretty close on paper but a half inch here or there makes a big difference in how a gun carries.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Under the tension of a home invasion, I wouldn't want to think about the mechanics of a firearm...period (i.e. is there a round chambered? did I rack the slide? safety on or off?....) Consider any reliable revolver - .38 special with plus p - almost "idiot" proof. I keep an old Colt Cobra in the nightstand within arms length - of course no small children at home anymore. With kids around consider quick access lockup box - only results in a few seconds delay.........good luck.

I agree with no wanting to mess with anything requiring fine motor skills in a panic.

That's one reason I went with a Glock. Store it loaded and chambered in your secure, quick-access location. When you need it, you draw it (or retrieve, as your case may be) and it's ready to go. Point and shoot.

Plus, the capacity is way more than any DAO revolver and the trigger is going to be a LOT more amenable to hitting the target than a DAO revolver's trigger would be.

It's also the same argument that points towards an autloading shotgun (Benelli M4, FN SLP, etc) instead of a pump. Do you know you won't short-chuck under duress? Maybe, but with an autoloader it's moot.

Point and shoot-- it's not just for cameras.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Like everyone else has already explained no LTCH needed to purchase just background check and valid drivers license... Takes 20 minutes at most

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I should probably start a new thread for this question but.. What are some of your suggestions for first handgun? I know it's a matter of personal choice but I'm new and want to hear different people views.

Depends what you want to do.

A glock 19 is a good all around gun. Not too big, not too small, 9mm for comparably low recoil and cheap ammo.

If you plan on having more than one gun in the future, get a ruger sr22 first and shoot the hell out of it, it'll be much cheaper. Then go for a defensive caliber (9, 40, 45)

If this is strictly for home defense, a shotgun is much more powerful, and much cheaper. A maverick 88 or iac hawk (both online under $200) will be more than sufficient.

Top Bottom